November 16th, 2010

Britain will compensate Guantanamo detainees

The British government will compensate a number of British residents who were interned at Guantanamo Bay, Justice Secretary Kenneth Clarke announced Tuesday, saying he could not reveal the amount of compensation.

"The settlement is not to be taken as any admission of liability," he said, portraying it as a way of resolving lawsuits against the British government so that an independent inquiry into torture allegations could get started.

"It was not in the interest of any party to get stuck in litigation," Clarke told the House of Commons.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: United Kingdom
  1. Daniel

It's about time!!! Why can't the British admit to doing anything wrong? Never mind that's easy! Like the right-wing thugs in Washington,the right-wing thugs in London have no scrupples,either.

November 16, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. Richard in Texas

I understand the reasoning behind this but it still looks bad.

November 16, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. PartisanHound

Sniff sniff.... I smell liberal.. Yes yes everyone knows only the right wing politicians lie. Never the lily white virginal liberals. Haha baa baa

November 16, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. Hugh Jarce

The British – always appeasing the crocodile in the hope that it will eat them last.

Truly a fallen nation, and based on my last trip out there, a really nasty one too.

November 16, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

I am British and I agree; this country has fallen badly. Too much immigration and too many incompetent governments have made Britannia fall to her knees. Don't let the USA get like this.

November 16, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Tom,it's already happening thanks to the ignorant Tea Partiers and the other right-wing politicians plus the ignorance of the American public. They seem to have all kinds of money to fight these useless and unnecessary wars but are totally helpless in solving our economic problems!

November 16, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jim Brieske

The British are cowards. How bout they pay us the money they owe us from WWII. It must be at least one trillion dollars. I want it deposited by Friday in our Federal Reserve Bank.
    Fukers.
    jim

November 16, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Jim,I agree with you but can we skip the Tea Party lingo such as what you just called the British? Leave that for the ignorant,hateful Tea Partiers!!!

November 16, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tom

@Jim Brieske, Britain has paid back all it owes to the USA from WWII.

I hope not all Americans are as stupid as yourself. Good day.

November 16, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • brian

Oh snizzap. Looks like some nimbly-pimbly know-it-all just got a serving of hot, hot education. I think somebody is owed an apology, and also needs to learn a little humility.

November 16, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. osama bin diesel

Stfu Brian

November 16, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. CaptainObvious

The liberals are just at fault for all the mismanagement going on. Don't seek out and independent parties online either because all they are still whining about is Obama's birth certificate. If you want anything done the people are going to need to stop going after the petty arguments and get down to the actual causes of the problems. People crying racist or war monger doesn't solve anything. I can't believe all these dumb politicians are a result of higher learning. I'd be embarrassed if my country thought I were an incompetent fool.

November 16, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jim Brieske

Daniel and Tom. Don't believe everything you read that is posted by a political website. I know whether or not the British have paid us back and they have not!
    You ever call me a name again and you will regret it.
    The British are cowardly fukers. Afraid of their Muslim population. Furthermore they failed to commit enough troops to our most recent wars. They lost under 200 men in Afghanistan and we lost over 17,000 in the first week at Normandy.
    So you tell me. Who are the cowards?
    They are fukers because they allowed the Pan Am Flight 183 Lockerbie bomber go free for an oil deal. Now I ask, what should the punishment be for this?
    So not only are those British involved fukers, but they are Hell bound ones. How do you like them apples, Daniel and Tom?
    jim

November 16, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sia

I just came from NYTimes. Packed with people who are like "Tony Blair should be forced to compensate the prisoners and the same with George Bush", "Finally doing something good"....
    I am so happy that CNN is here. So happy, so happy 🙂

It's hard to believe that criminals would be paid nowadays for receiving what they deserve. Using our money. Thumbs down to the British government. You guys suck!

November 16, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. The Truth

Pretty soon we will be paying a weekly sum of our earnings to let the terrorists not come to our front door and kill us. Not to worry about the USA cowering down to these people. Its already happened. And I doubt it will ever end.

November 16, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jason

You left wingers are all the same. George Bush bla-bla-bla. If this country is so screwed up,its not because of a pointless war, or because of a tax cut.Its because of you left wing idiots who make us depend on the rest of the world for our oil and goods. protect the enironment. good thinking

November 17, 2010 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |