November 16th, 2010

Rangel: 'How can anyone have confidence' in ethics vote?

Democratic Rep. Charlie Rangel issued the follow statement after he was found guilty by an ethics subcommittee Tuesday on multiple violations of House rules.

"How can anyone have confidence in the decision of the Ethics Subcommittee when I was deprived of due process rights, right to counsel and was not even in the room? I can only hope that the full Committee will treat me more fairly, and take into account my entire 40 years of service to the Congress before making any decisions on sanctions.

I am disappointed by the unfortunate findings of the Ethics Subcommittee. The Committee's actions are unprecedented in view of the fact that they arrived at without rebuttal or counter evidence on my behalf.

While I am required to accept the findings of the Ethics Committee, I am compelled to state again the unfairness of its continuation without affording me the opportunity to obtain legal counsel as guaranteed under the U.S. Constitution.

This unfair decision is the inevitable result of the Committee's insistence on moving forward despite the absence of any legal representation on my behalf. The Committee elected to reject my appeal for additional time to secure new counsel and thus acted in violation of the basic constitutional right to counsel.

The Committee's findings are even more difficult to understand in view of yesterday's declaration by the Committee's chief counsel, Blake Chisam, that there was no evidence of corruption or personal gain in his findings.

From here forward, it is my hope that the full Ethics Committee will take into consideration the opinion of its chief counsel as well as the statement by Rep. Bobby Scott, a member of its investigatory subcommittee who said that any failings in my conduct were the result of "good faith mistakes" and were caused by "sloppy and careless recordkeeping, but were not criminal or corrupt."

Ethics subcommittee finds Rangel guilty

1. greggo

Just shut up Charlie, take your slap on the wrist and pray that the IRS doesn't come down too hard on your fat corrupt ass.

November 16, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Rappa

Once Rangel is defrocked he could be a rap star. He would need a catchy stage name like ffty cent. How 'bout we call him buck fifty? lmao

November 16, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sgt. Slaughter

As usual this arrogant ape wants special treatment

He got due process but he showed up without a lawyer

He had 2yrs to get one, and they didn't quit 2days ago either

He thinks, as an arrogant bum, that he should have some extra rights and privileges...he got due process just as it would be for anyone else

Charlie, go eat a BANNANA

November 16, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kim

He should of had cousel i just wonder if there going to go after all the congress with a fine tooth comb or just the black ones. Only a fool thinks this is not a racial witchhunt. Im not that into politic and feel gee what a bunch of racist crap!

November 16, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

So because he's corrupt AND black its a racial witchhunt? So in your eyes any black politician gets a free pass....regardless of the facts. Well now its easy to see why he's been re-elected year after year, blind allegiance BECAUSE he's black. freekin idiot

November 18, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sgt. Slaughter

He's a crook so let's just call a spade, what it is, a spade...

November 16, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jim Brieske

Charlie Rangel uses the fact he is black. Because only one would pull the garbage he just did. He is guilty and knows it, so he plays a little black (n word) game and walks away after stating some bs about not having a lawyer.
    I WANT HIM OUT.
    jim

November 16, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sgt. Slaughter

I have confidence in the ethics vote by the committee.

Rangel is a lawyer, he knows that when the respondent doesn't respond to charges....they lose by default.

Basically the charges were un contested

Sorry Charlie! YOU LOSE!

November 16, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. The Truth

Obama Bin Laden. Let me be clear. This unsustainable and unjustifiable. He is being railroaded because he is black. He's been in politics for over 40 years that should count for something? I think we should look the other way. I bet he has millions stashed away somewhere. Look in the freezer. This poor poor because I'm black crap don't wash anymore. People don't believe it, or buy into it. Ya seen Jessie or Rev Al lately? NO. The days of playing the race card is OVER. Get over it.

November 16, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sgt. Slaughter

Instead of dumbing down every admission test or civil service test, so they can understand it and pass.

Then the country would be taking a step in the right direction

November 16, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. i rock u dont

No bannans today for him! just dogfood

November 16, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. buck shot

Poor picked on Rangel. The board made their decision on him when he wasn't present...Thats not fair..Wait a minute,who walked out from the board meeting???? "Guilty."Throw the book at him and give him a taste of what normal people go through if they pull stunts lesser than what he did.

November 17, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  12. dan smith

He should be in prison where he belongs, but I'm sure Obummer will find a spot for him in the White House, what's one more crook.

November 17, 2010 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. CPT Comedy

Sgt Slaughter – This is the dry cleaner.....your robe and hood are ready

November 17, 2010 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sgt. Slaughter

Starched I hope

November 17, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  15. 4thecreative

@ sgt. slaughter to write – "Now if we could just get rid of affirmative action maybe the black people could compete on a level playing field with the white people." is pure ignorance.

In America today, where the rich are richer and poor are poorer, there is clearly NOT an even playing field. And often this ECONOMIC imbalance falls along racial divides. Affirmative action simply looks to balance this obvious injustice.

You may rightfully argue to expand Affimative Action to include the economically oppressed of every color, but to argue that it is no longer needed for many African Americans, and then endorse the American terrorists, the KKK, proves you are a racist, classist and hateful person that has little to offer humanity.

P.S. I agree Rangle is working the system, guilty and should be punished. But this does not prove all African Americans are working the system as you imply. It simply shows greed is a human problem, not owned by the dominantly white congress and wall street which has led our country (and world) into these corrupt and difficult times.

November 17, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |