November 18th, 2010

Natalee's mom to van der Sloot: 'I can't close the book'

Beth Holloway has once again pleaded face-to-face with Joran van der Sloot to give her information about her daughter Natalee, who went missing in 2005 in Aruba. Holloway, her voice shaking, gave van der Sloot a candy bar when they met recently in a Peru prison where he is being held in the slaying of Stephany Flores, a 21-year-old Peruvian woman, this summer.

A Dutch television station taped the meeting, which comes as authorities test a jawbone recently discovered in Aruba that could be part of Natalee Holloway's remains.

Beth Holloway has tried previously to persuade van der Sloot to tell her where her daughter might be, meeting with him in person. He has lied to her and to the Holloway family, authorities say.

During this latest meeting, the teen's mother implored: "I can't close the book."

"I have not any hate in me," she told him. "I have none for you because I don't know you, Joran."

Beth Holloway then told van der Sloot that she'd been driving "all damn day" to find a 3 Musketeers bar for him, knowing that he would understand its meaning. She could find only a Milky Way, she said, and she appeared to place it on the table between them. He didn't appear to be handcuffed.

Van der Sloot leaned forward, keeping his eyes on her during their entire meeting, which lasted about five minutes.

"You're looking at spending the rest of your life in prison," she said.

Beth Holloway said that she knew he wanted to make a plea deal in the Flores case. "I've met with prosecutors," she said, hinting that she might be able to help him with a deal, but that she wants information about her daughter first.

"I won't do anything unless I get some information about Natalee," she said. "It's too late for Natalee, it's too late for  Stephany, it's too late for me, but it's not too late for you ... to get your life back. You can sit here for the rest of your life, and I can sit here for the rest of my life. ... You can make some choices here, Joran, and you can make the right decisions.

"You have your whole life ahead of you. I want to know what happened ... to move on in my life, and I cannot close the book," Holloway said.

She reminded van der Sloot that his father, whom he was reportedly close to, has died, then made reference to Flores.  "We've lost your father, we've lost another young girl. Joran, you don't need to lose your life here in prison and be sitting here when you're 60 years of age, and insisting to me that you don't know what happened.

"If it was an accident, tell me," Holloway implored. "I'm here."

Van der Sloot replied: "It's hard for me to talk to you. ... I know you have a very good heart. I know that for a fact."

Then he asked her for "time to think" and for her address so that he can write her. He then handed her his attorney's phone number and blamed an addiction to gambling for why "I've told so many lies."

"That's honestly the truth," van der Sloot said.

She agreed to give him her information.

Holloway said, "I don't really understand what this means, but ... I think that you might."

She recalled talking to him five years ago. "When I go back in time five years ago, I'm thinking, I felt like you didn't listen to me then."

She pleaded with him, "Let me take her home."

"That's always been my problem," van der Sloot replied. "I really do want to write you ... and some time to think about what I'm going to say."

He then insisted that the five minutes he was allowed for their visit was over. He got up and walked away. She stayed at the table, lowered her head and covered her eyes with her hand.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime
  1. Jan

I feel sorry for her that her daughter was so irresponsible and didn't take care of herself and got drunk and went off with three strange men. What kind of girl does that? We party, but don't get drunk, don't leave with strangers, don't accept drinks or leave your drink unattended, and stick together. Her daughter would be alive if she had been a decent girl and behaved herslef and that's the truth. Creeps are everywhere, not only Joran, and you can't go asking for trouble by misbehaving.

November 19, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary

You do not know that she was drunk...that's clearly your opinion! Also, Natalie did not go off with three young men; she took a taxi, alone. That was unfortunately a fatal mistake. However, she does not deserve your single-minded allegations of not being a decent girl, irresponsible, and not behaving! You obviously do not have any clue as to how young people in her situation actually behave...because if you did, you would know that Natalie was not acting inappropriately! It's too bad there are SO many people like you who make judgments based only on what they think!

November 19, 2010 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie S

one of the problems with our society in general. the outrage at women who "misbehave" takes pecedence over men who murder. The weird belief that women deserve to be murdered if they 'misbehave". That women shouldn't just be walking around either. That's asking for trouble, right? If a woman gets more than a block from her home, she's asking for trouble. And if she gets murdered in her bed when she's asleep, then she was probably "asking for it" because she had a nightgown on or something.

Joran is a sick man, but there are plenty of others.

November 20, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie S

and what if she WAS drunk? Then she "deserves" to be murdered? Strange since of morals you got there, Jan. When drunkeness warrants MURDER. Wow.

November 20, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Nat

Lord i just pray that Ms.Holloway will find the peace she desperatly seeks.Help her to find closure regardless of any confession or lack of...to punish this man my not giving him the attention and power he craves..

November 19, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. THE BODDIE

THE BODDIE is glad that Natalee is gone. ONE LESS SPOILED WHITE GIRL TO WORRY ABOUT.

November 19, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  4. THE BODDIE

Just follow the trail of mayanaise and u may just find the brat!

November 19, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. THE BODDIE

Or just ask her friend PIPER. Every spoiled white girl in america has a best friend named PIPER. THE BODDIE is sure Piper knows where Natalee is at. THE BODDIE is guessing Whole Foods. White people LOVE Whole Foods!

November 19, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

YOU ARE SICK!!!

November 19, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Annie

Get rid of him Once and for ever

November 19, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. adam

It is the close that you are looking for. It is time to move on and live...Do not forget the love,and the smiles,and her laughter...I helped to turn the last page. Blessings to all...cannonball19762@aol.com

November 20, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. inkapeter

Peru will never cut hm loose for killing in Peru and he will die in a horrible way in prison from aids, tb and other illness. I've lived there for several years and that prison is death to him. Its really sad the whole tale of events and the US tourism to Aruba should have ended when his father blocked the investigation. I've been to Aruba many many times before 2005 and will never go back to a country, supporting their economy with Amereican dollars, when their system only works against victims. The SOB only wanted the candy bar and could not wait to open it... why.. because he doesn't have anything in that system, only what his mother provides..... there in Peru the prison gives you nothing absolutely nothing, not even a bed, they way he deserves to be treated. Thats why he wants a deal out of Peru, to enter a cozy American prison for extortion but he committed no crimes in the USA and he will stay in Peru. If by chance they send him back to Aruba then he will become afree man not serving time for 2 deaths.

November 20, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Supporter

She should have just given the candy bar to another cell mate to get the information on her daughter and put closure on this and end his....

November 20, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sad

Watching this made my heart ache for Beth. As a parent I can't even begin to imagine her pain. God be with her, and with Natalee's father in this dark time.

November 23, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  11. Faaa

Joran Van der sloot is a liar, and will never tell the truth about Natalie because if he did, it would be an admission that he killed her.

I feel so sorry for Beth. I just cannot begin to imagine what it would be like to lose my child that way. I would probably do exactly what she is doing; I would not rest until i got some answers. She is not going to have any closure until the truth comes out.

November 23, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. me

i feel, sorry for her she was really trying. i hope he gives her answer's but i have a feeling if he does and gives them to her he does not have all of them since his father was the last one. I think they should have gotten him when they had the chance or americans found a way to get him. i think his dad would have talk then.

November 28, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Anverali Valli

Dear beth
    As someone with three daughters, I fully understand and feel your and the family's pain.
    Know this though. Natalie may not come back, but God will punish the guilty person in his own way, trust me.

My and my families sympathies are with you. You have done all you could. Now move on with your life and suffer less as you move forward. You are are loving person and a brave one too.
    May God bless you, your family and Natallie's soul. AMEN

December 12, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. Barry Ohman

Joran Van der Sloot is a real sick human being that is about the lowest form of human life on the planet and this sicko should be put to death as he will only continue to be a problem to humanity. It wouldn't bother me if his fellow prisoners in prison beat him to death as he is nothing but a low class sick and pathetic human being who will never change but the killing of him by fellow inmates will get rid of him permanently and he will no longer then be a problem to societyy.

December 12, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |