November 18th, 2010

Natalee's mom to van der Sloot: 'I can't close the book'

Beth Holloway has once again pleaded face-to-face with Joran van der Sloot to give her information about her daughter Natalee, who went missing in 2005 in Aruba. Holloway, her voice shaking, gave van der Sloot a candy bar when they met recently in a Peru prison where he is being held in the slaying of Stephany Flores, a 21-year-old Peruvian woman, this summer.

A Dutch television station taped the meeting, which comes as authorities test a jawbone recently discovered in Aruba that could be part of Natalee Holloway's remains.

Beth Holloway has tried previously to persuade van der Sloot to tell her where her daughter might be, meeting with him in person. He has lied to her and to the Holloway family, authorities say.

During this latest meeting, the teen's mother implored: "I can't close the book."

"I have not any hate in me," she told him. "I have none for you because I don't know you, Joran."

Beth Holloway then told van der Sloot that she'd been driving "all damn day" to find a 3 Musketeers bar for him, knowing that he would understand its meaning. She could find only a Milky Way, she said, and she appeared to place it on the table between them. He didn't appear to be handcuffed.

Van der Sloot leaned forward, keeping his eyes on her during their entire meeting, which lasted about five minutes.

"You're looking at spending the rest of your life in prison," she said.

Beth Holloway said that she knew he wanted to make a plea deal in the Flores case. "I've met with prosecutors," she said, hinting that she might be able to help him with a deal, but that she wants information about her daughter first.

"I won't do anything unless I get some information about Natalee," she said. "It's too late for Natalee, it's too late for  Stephany, it's too late for me, but it's not too late for you ... to get your life back. You can sit here for the rest of your life, and I can sit here for the rest of my life. ... You can make some choices here, Joran, and you can make the right decisions.

"You have your whole life ahead of you. I want to know what happened ... to move on in my life, and I cannot close the book," Holloway said.

She reminded van der Sloot that his father, whom he was reportedly close to, has died, then made reference to Flores.  "We've lost your father, we've lost another young girl. Joran, you don't need to lose your life here in prison and be sitting here when you're 60 years of age, and insisting to me that you don't know what happened.

"If it was an accident, tell me," Holloway implored. "I'm here."

Van der Sloot replied: "It's hard for me to talk to you. ... I know you have a very good heart. I know that for a fact."

Then he asked her for "time to think" and for her address so that he can write her. He then handed her his attorney's phone number and blamed an addiction to gambling for why "I've told so many lies."

"That's honestly the truth," van der Sloot said.

She agreed to give him her information.

Holloway said, "I don't really understand what this means, but ... I think that you might."

She recalled talking to him five years ago. "When I go back in time five years ago, I'm thinking, I felt like you didn't listen to me then."

She pleaded with him, "Let me take her home."

"That's always been my problem," van der Sloot replied. "I really do want to write you ... and some time to think about what I'm going to say."

He then insisted that the five minutes he was allowed for their visit was over. He got up and walked away. She stayed at the table, lowered her head and covered her eyes with her hand.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime
  1. Frank

Ms. Holloway,
    I have great simpathy for you and your family and what you have gone through.Please do not plead with Vandersloot any longer.it degrades you and gives him a form of power over you.

November 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Snow

I sadly agree. He loves the control, power and attention. I just don't think he'll give you any answers. I'm so sorry for your loss. I couldn't imagine.

November 18, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Still Human

He's a monster...

November 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary

Yeah, whatever he says will be a lie anyway. However, I can understand her desperation to get any kind of information. The loss of a child is bad enough; not knowing what happened to Natalee on top of that must be a huge void in her life.

November 18, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lou Ann

Mrs. Holloway, I can't imagine the pain you have felt over these last few years! I doubt Joran will ever tell the truth, he has lied so much! I know how they could get the truth out of him but it would be inhuman!! I know you need to know, as I would, what happened to her, where is she, and why! God has carried you thru this whole situation, and he will continue to carry you! My family will continue to pray for you and your family!

God Bless you!!!

November 22, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ideas

well said Frank.
    no ideas I'd care to share here
    but I'm going to practice breathing without thinking about anything at all

November 18, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Alabama bound

Dear Beth, My heart goes out to you and your family., Though, I don't know if meeting with Yoran will do any good, I understand that you must try anything to get closure and to bring Natalee's remains home to Alabama. You have continued to fight those who would not give you answers and endure so much over the past 5 years. If you had not got the media involved, Natalee's name or story would not be remembered by anyone. Whenever I hear the name Natalee, I always think of your daughter. You are such a strong, determined woman and you have shown us what we must do in life when something is important to us. I am amazed by your strength, conviction, and courage. Because of your efforts, Natalee's story has remained in the news across the world for the past 5 years. I am sure if you would have left Aruba and never attempted to hold people accountable her story would not be told or remembered. I will always remember her.... I hope and pray that you can bring her home and lay her to rest.

November 18, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. susan

Ms. Holloway,
    My guess is this young man is a classic abuser. If he goes to prison finally in Peru, you'll be a link to the outside and he'll manipulate and charm you for all it's worth. For years to come! I am a victim of domestic violence myself and I warn you not to give him any power to play on your emotions. He'll never tell you the truth about Natalie because he lies to himself. Don't convince yourself that you need his confession in order to have closure and peace. What happened to Flores is what happened to Natalie. He did it and we all know the truth. God Bless and I wish you peace.

November 18, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. David

Ms. Holloway,

I doubt you will read this but Frank's comments are spot on. Please heed them. I cannot imagine what you have experienced all these years but Frank is right. Joran has nothing now. Do not give him the satisfaction of having power over you and your feelings. He is a psychopath and a monster.

November 18, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BG

what a brave person she is. my heart goes out to her for wanting her daughter back and as well having compassion for this evil young man. she shows true courage and an unwavering dedication to her lost daughter. i hope she gets closure and hope this young POS helps her get it.

November 18, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. oblahmaha

this video really shouldn't be broadcast as it is noone's business other than those two involved and neither of them even knew they were being taped.

November 18, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Well...

She went there with a tv producer from the Netherlands and he spoke to the guy, saying he was promised only 5 minutes. She definitely knew it was being taped and he may have too.

November 18, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alan

Beth coordinated this with Peter DeVreise and ABSOLUTELY knew cameras were rolling.You should know something about what you're talking about before you post...

November 18, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. csm9478

I suppose if any of you had lost your daughter I dont think pride would be getting in your way of begging the main suspect for ANY information. He has no power. He has nothing. No soul. No light. Nothing.

November 18, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bsitz

From what was said previously she was probably killed and thrown into the ocean and he has no idea where she is. If he says that then theres no more attention given to him. That is why he will never speak about it.

November 18, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Milissa

What is the Musketters thing about?

November 18, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jasaltz

The 3 Musketeers either refers to Joran, Deepak, and Satish. However, it could also be reminiscent of Joran and the guy who brokered the $10,000 deal with Joran last year to give Beth Twitty the whereabouts of her daughter since he split the candy bar with him when they spoke.

November 18, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nate

I agree with Frank. Pleading with him only gives him power. I can't imagine what Ms. Holloway is going through, but I also don't understand this concept of closure. Natalie is gone, she was murdered, everyone knows Joran did it, and there is probably no logical explanation as to why. Probably because this world is corrupt and full of sin and clearly is not perfect. I will be praying for Ms. Holloway that she can find peace in another way aside from relying on Joran.

November 18, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chris

conclusion to this story...dont let your daughter go overseas to party balls

November 18, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie S

Yeah, that's the problem. Girls and women running around living their lives. Can't have that. Maybe women worldwide should wear burkas and not be allowed out in public at all so they don't needlessly tempt whacko serial killers who of course have the right to go wherever they want.

November 20, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lola

I dont think any of us can pass judgement on Ms Holloway's decision to meet with Joran. This woman lost her child most likely at the hands of Joran. She has nothing left to loose so why not try and get him to think about her pain and hopefully open up to her at some point. You get more with sugar....Pleading with him does not degrade her. She needs closure. She needs justice. Until you walk in her shoes you cant really comment or judge her.

November 18, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. REX

3 musketeers??? JORAN, DEEPAK, SATISH

November 18, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TK

A sociopath who blames addiction for his problems. Ms. Holloway will get no information from this type.

November 18, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |