November 18th, 2010

Natalee's mom to van der Sloot: 'I can't close the book'

Beth Holloway has once again pleaded face-to-face with Joran van der Sloot to give her information about her daughter Natalee, who went missing in 2005 in Aruba. Holloway, her voice shaking, gave van der Sloot a candy bar when they met recently in a Peru prison where he is being held in the slaying of Stephany Flores, a 21-year-old Peruvian woman, this summer.

A Dutch television station taped the meeting, which comes as authorities test a jawbone recently discovered in Aruba that could be part of Natalee Holloway's remains.

Beth Holloway has tried previously to persuade van der Sloot to tell her where her daughter might be, meeting with him in person. He has lied to her and to the Holloway family, authorities say.

During this latest meeting, the teen's mother implored: "I can't close the book."

"I have not any hate in me," she told him. "I have none for you because I don't know you, Joran."

Beth Holloway then told van der Sloot that she'd been driving "all damn day" to find a 3 Musketeers bar for him, knowing that he would understand its meaning. She could find only a Milky Way, she said, and she appeared to place it on the table between them. He didn't appear to be handcuffed.

Van der Sloot leaned forward, keeping his eyes on her during their entire meeting, which lasted about five minutes.

"You're looking at spending the rest of your life in prison," she said.

Beth Holloway said that she knew he wanted to make a plea deal in the Flores case. "I've met with prosecutors," she said, hinting that she might be able to help him with a deal, but that she wants information about her daughter first.

"I won't do anything unless I get some information about Natalee," she said. "It's too late for Natalee, it's too late for  Stephany, it's too late for me, but it's not too late for you ... to get your life back. You can sit here for the rest of your life, and I can sit here for the rest of my life. ... You can make some choices here, Joran, and you can make the right decisions.

"You have your whole life ahead of you. I want to know what happened ... to move on in my life, and I cannot close the book," Holloway said.

She reminded van der Sloot that his father, whom he was reportedly close to, has died, then made reference to Flores.  "We've lost your father, we've lost another young girl. Joran, you don't need to lose your life here in prison and be sitting here when you're 60 years of age, and insisting to me that you don't know what happened.

"If it was an accident, tell me," Holloway implored. "I'm here."

Van der Sloot replied: "It's hard for me to talk to you. ... I know you have a very good heart. I know that for a fact."

Then he asked her for "time to think" and for her address so that he can write her. He then handed her his attorney's phone number and blamed an addiction to gambling for why "I've told so many lies."

"That's honestly the truth," van der Sloot said.

She agreed to give him her information.

Holloway said, "I don't really understand what this means, but ... I think that you might."

She recalled talking to him five years ago. "When I go back in time five years ago, I'm thinking, I felt like you didn't listen to me then."

She pleaded with him, "Let me take her home."

"That's always been my problem," van der Sloot replied. "I really do want to write you ... and some time to think about what I'm going to say."

He then insisted that the five minutes he was allowed for their visit was over. He got up and walked away. She stayed at the table, lowered her head and covered her eyes with her hand.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime
  1. fuyuko

I would not beg this loser for a crumb. Joran loves the attention he gets and if he had a conscience he would've spoken up by now.

November 18, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. clark

I completely agree with bsitz. I thought there was already a confession that Joran and Natalee had been drinking and Natalee passed out in the sand. Joran thought she might be dead so he and a friend put her on a boat and dumped her off into the ocean. I agree that if he restates this he will ruin any ambiguity and false self-turmoil that he's using to receive attention. He is a classic case psychopath. This person has the inability to empathize with people and moreover he doesn't want to. He's as close to evil as one can get. God bless Mrs. Holloway for having patience with this person and not violently lashing out at him as I would have done in that situation. Joran is true garbage.

November 18, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. paul

until they have DNA evidence i do not believe natalee is dead, i believe that joran does not know who took her from the lighthouse, but he does know whom he was dealing with, i think the light house was a marker , place to meet, but i think the person that he was suppose to meet did not show up , i think someone unknown to him did, basically i believe he lead her into a trap, i do not think he knows where they took her to,

November 18, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Think Again

So, let me guess, those same people showed up in another country and killed Stephanie also, and Joran is just being framed? Maybe, because he likes to gamble, the people he owed money too came in and killed both girls to teach him a lesson. Your an idiot! Don't defend people who are monsters. And believe me, they don't need you to, they are perfectly capable of making up their own falsehoods, without your assistance.

November 21, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. Peter Klika

Begging this monster sends the wrong message. One point overlooked is the complicity of his father and the Aruba "judges" who have protected this privelaged and unrepentent murderer. The dad should be indicted as a co-conspirator for suggesting to his son how to dispose of Natalee's body. It is not hard to connect the dots here. Peter Klika, Kapaau, Hawaii, far from the corrupt and inept Aruban "justice" system.

November 18, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. A Parent

As a parent, I sympathize deeply with the horrible situation you are faced with. I cannot condone or criticize the desire to speak to the monster that took your daughter from you, but I completely understand the burning need to know the truth. Sadly, I worry the answers you might receive may not give you the relief your heart desperately craves, and this monster may only drag you along as he continues to give the illusion of assistance. Ms. Holloway my heart breaks for you.

November 18, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. norma

Beth, please stop giving this creature the attention he craves; it only provides him with a twisted incentive to continue tormenting you and, if he gets the chance, killing other innocents. This is his payoff, clearly. As to the comments indicating that we cannot know how it feels, unfortunately, many of us have lost loved ones to murder. It NEVER heals completely; most of us never get absolute closure. But the time comes when the personal "need" for closure is counterproductive, for example, when it gives the murderer the attention he/she craves or provides him/her with the means and money to go kill another person, as has happened here (thanks, FBI). Enough payoff for Joran. He is a habitual liar and either will not or (more likely) cannot give the information necessary to closure. (And if he did, who could believe him?)

November 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.G. Miller

Well said. Let him stew in his cell, when the boredom and lack of attention sets in maybe he will want to talk. Who the hell cares what a liar has to say anyway? If he has anything of value, he is holding it cause it's all he has left, and sadly he may take it to his grave. He is just an abusive, sock monkey look alike who has nothing left of any value, other than some information he may or may not have. Don't play his little power game.

November 18, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Alan

That confrontation happened WEEKS ago, and was reported on all over when it did.Hilarious that CNN and HLN are reporting it as breaking news. it was also the FIRST time Beth Holloway confronted Joran face to face, before that she had only made pleas through the media. Check your facts CNN.

November 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whatevah

They're just now releasing the tape to the media. That's the breaking news.

November 18, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alan

They aired it on Entertainment Tonight almost a week ago.Says at the top of this story 'This Just In'.Whatevah, you are dumb to argue my post.It is OLD news.CNN used to report news...

November 18, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. rudy

It is one thing to keep silent so that you may not be entangled by the prosecution and an entirely different for any one to suggest that silence equals gult for what the prosection has in mind. This guy obviously had something done to the girl such as dropping her like a hot potato. He is arrogant and full of himself but that does not mean murder or knowing what happened to Natalie. Mothers bring up their children in the way they see fit when time comes to pay the price, they feel cheated. How unfortunate that our morals are so low that we can not protect ourselves from their folly.

November 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Think Again

Mothers bring up their children???????Interesting statement RUDY! And the name sure does fit. Funny, turn the blame on the mother, not the "MAN" who committed the crime. Dude, to see a psychiatrist and work on your mommy hating problems.

November 21, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. Vilia

Ms. Holloway

You need not worry about the location of Natalee's body. She is not there. She has returned Home. Her soul is flying with Angels. Though difficult, you must heal yourself from within, and not give your power ( out of desperation) to Evil.

May God be with you and Angels comfort you!

November 18, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

Amen. God Bless this family and let them heal. Their beautiful daughter is in a better place now and they will see her again. That is all that matters.

November 20, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. AJ

CNN is so terrible.

November 18, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave Sheehan

you said it...they are sleaze buckets, totally shameless exploitation of this poor woman's agony

November 18, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jeepers

He admitted that he had "done things" because he was addicted to gambling. I read once that people who need to know details about things like this have control issues. It would be nice if she could overcome that need and take control in another way by say...having him tortured and painfully murdered in prison.

November 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Spanish Inquisition

Please don't ever (try to) make deals with evil. It won't do anyone good !

November 18, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jaxi

she's asking a perpetual liar for the truth -never going to happen – he enjoys this – it's his control – and since he doesn't have any over any girls now -this is the one he will control. All her words show her begging -she shouldn't put herself in that position. So now she gives him her address – so he can write her. If he wanted to write her – it should be protocol it goes to an attorney's address. So , if he ever breaks out of prison -now he can go to her address and kill her and the rest of her family. this lady is acting out of desperation obviously – but I am surprised she was so stupid to do that. This man has no remorse. Gambling addiction is why he lies? – one is not at all tied to the other. If he said drinking or drugs, that would make a little more sense. Who is buying his garbage? Let him rot in jail.

November 18, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Derek

She only gave him her email address, pal.

November 18, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.G. Miller

You are sooo right, I think he thinks he is holding the winning hand. If there were anything of value it probably went to the grave with duh judge, what a piece of work he was huh. Now this little sock monkey thinks he can pull strings, and along comes Beth, with a candy bar. Leave him long enough and he will be begging to talk to anyone, as if anyone would believe him anyway.

November 19, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joran

Wow shut up with all of ur letters... The woman doesnt even read them, go face to face to talk to her if u really wanna express ur feelings. I bet she doesnt want the bs u write to her, unless u got evidence of where her daughter is.

Anyways, it seems like the Joran guy is taking it like a joke..What a psychopath really.

November 18, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • jainTN

Who do you think you are telling people to shut up and acting as if you know what anyone other than yourself thinks? You're a pompous Idiot.

November 18, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Peggy

Beth, my heart aches for you. No matter what he does – it will still break your heart even more. Natalie is gone. She's the most beautiful of angels now. Whatever happened to her- has happened a long time ago. Please Dear Beth...let it go and love the people you are with now.

November 18, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |