November 18th, 2010

Natalee's mom to van der Sloot: 'I can't close the book'

Beth Holloway has once again pleaded face-to-face with Joran van der Sloot to give her information about her daughter Natalee, who went missing in 2005 in Aruba. Holloway, her voice shaking, gave van der Sloot a candy bar when they met recently in a Peru prison where he is being held in the slaying of Stephany Flores, a 21-year-old Peruvian woman, this summer.

A Dutch television station taped the meeting, which comes as authorities test a jawbone recently discovered in Aruba that could be part of Natalee Holloway's remains.

Beth Holloway has tried previously to persuade van der Sloot to tell her where her daughter might be, meeting with him in person. He has lied to her and to the Holloway family, authorities say.

During this latest meeting, the teen's mother implored: "I can't close the book."

"I have not any hate in me," she told him. "I have none for you because I don't know you, Joran."

Beth Holloway then told van der Sloot that she'd been driving "all damn day" to find a 3 Musketeers bar for him, knowing that he would understand its meaning. She could find only a Milky Way, she said, and she appeared to place it on the table between them. He didn't appear to be handcuffed.

Van der Sloot leaned forward, keeping his eyes on her during their entire meeting, which lasted about five minutes.

"You're looking at spending the rest of your life in prison," she said.

Beth Holloway said that she knew he wanted to make a plea deal in the Flores case. "I've met with prosecutors," she said, hinting that she might be able to help him with a deal, but that she wants information about her daughter first.

"I won't do anything unless I get some information about Natalee," she said. "It's too late for Natalee, it's too late for  Stephany, it's too late for me, but it's not too late for you ... to get your life back. You can sit here for the rest of your life, and I can sit here for the rest of my life. ... You can make some choices here, Joran, and you can make the right decisions.

"You have your whole life ahead of you. I want to know what happened ... to move on in my life, and I cannot close the book," Holloway said.

She reminded van der Sloot that his father, whom he was reportedly close to, has died, then made reference to Flores.  "We've lost your father, we've lost another young girl. Joran, you don't need to lose your life here in prison and be sitting here when you're 60 years of age, and insisting to me that you don't know what happened.

"If it was an accident, tell me," Holloway implored. "I'm here."

Van der Sloot replied: "It's hard for me to talk to you. ... I know you have a very good heart. I know that for a fact."

Then he asked her for "time to think" and for her address so that he can write her. He then handed her his attorney's phone number and blamed an addiction to gambling for why "I've told so many lies."

"That's honestly the truth," van der Sloot said.

She agreed to give him her information.

Holloway said, "I don't really understand what this means, but ... I think that you might."

She recalled talking to him five years ago. "When I go back in time five years ago, I'm thinking, I felt like you didn't listen to me then."

She pleaded with him, "Let me take her home."

"That's always been my problem," van der Sloot replied. "I really do want to write you ... and some time to think about what I'm going to say."

He then insisted that the five minutes he was allowed for their visit was over. He got up and walked away. She stayed at the table, lowered her head and covered her eyes with her hand.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime
  1. Bill

I can't imagine the nightmare this must be for her. My heart aches for her!!

November 18, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jainTN

I feel for her, but I think she's wasting her time with him. He is a sociopath/psychopath and is incapable of feeling guilt, remorse, or anything else a normal human feels. I'm sure he gets immense pleasure watching Natalie's mother begging him for information that he has no intention of giving. He just likes to see her twist in the wind. The entire world knows he killed Natalie and at least the family can know he'll be spending the rest of his life in a South American hell hole, and with the conditions he'll be living under, that probably won't be a very long time.

November 18, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

I agree with you.It is sad to see her begging with him for a confession.The truth is that it is not in his best interest to admit to anything. He is already facing a murder charge and I am sure he does not want to face another one. She is wasting her time.
      As a psychopath he doesn't feel any remorse. Even if the jaw bone found on the beach is her daughters, it does not link him to the death.

November 18, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. MariaTetta

In tears. I wish we could waterboard this beast into telling the truth.

November 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Think Again

I had the same thought!

November 21, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Chuck Norris Jr.

Give me 30 minutes alone with that POS and I guarantee he will tell all about Natalee. He is a pathological liar and does not know what the truth really is. He is a master manipulator and a waste of good oxygen. Hopefully, if he does come clean, someone will shank him in the shower the next day.

November 18, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Coop

Poor lady, what I'd do to get in a room alone with that piece of crap.

November 18, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Stan

Natalie is gone. It is very sad.
    Now please, stop this soap opera. Use the water-boarding or electrocution on this guy and answers will be there in 5 minutes.

November 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bastet11

I don't condone torture, but damn I agree with you on this one! They need to stop namby-pambying this creep and get real results, fast!

November 18, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Reynardine Greencastle

I'd like to see what this psychopath does if the DNA in the jawbone is a match. If it is, I'd like to see him extradited here, where we can kill him.

November 18, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

they wont unless we say that we wont kill him

November 28, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Betty Phillips

Beth.. Oh how my heart aches for you. I have to admit I admire your determination to find where your daughter is. I knew from the beginning that Jorans father had everything to do with getting rid of the body, or should I say God works in mysterious ways. Beth should try to make some kind of contact with the mother, she has to know more for I feel in my heart that the dad filled her in, so that does make Jorans mother guilty, however, she (Jorans mother) admitted that Joran had behavior problems, too bad that was not given to the Aruba authorities, but, they would have done absolutely nothing, they have proven that. The sad part is Beth and Natalees father are so full of hurt, but, I would bet that Jorans brothers are hurting too. May God wrap his arms around Beth and comfort her. God bless the Holloway family. Betty

November 18, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bastet11

Yeah I would give him a very special candy bar, alright. POS. He must love this attention. T

November 18, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kim

She cant stop her desires to find out the truth and what really happen is driving her to meet with this heartless monster. I hope she gets justice. Closure or compromised peace. Its a sad situation.

November 18, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jim

I hope she finds closure to this and I feel sorry for what has transpired. With that stated, Beth should be sending a strong message regarding travleing for kids away from parents. 1. An U.S. citizens loses all his/her rights when that individual travels to foreign countries. Hence don't expect the same rights. 2. Never ever venture into unfamilar territory especailly with people you do not know and don't get into trouble, The U.S. government may not be able to investigate or rescue you.

November 18, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. i rock

Give him a little slob on the knob Beth! that'll work

November 18, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. cormac

Thats a very strong woman

November 18, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MrNoDoze

This is an instance where torture should be used. Sorry liberal aclu people. Send him to Egypt for a weekend. Monday you can dig up the body. That Peruvian prison is one of the worst in the world and he's still not talking. That should tell you something.

November 18, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tn

Mrs Holloway should've given him an Almond Joy instead of a Milky Way (figure that one out...). Notice Joran said "That's honestly the truth." As opposed to what- dishonestly the truth? This guy is a nut (that's why Beth didn't give him a Mounds bar) and continues to ride the sociopathic trail. Hopefully, while he rots in prison, the only games he'll be playing is Solitaire or 5 Card Stud (or 5 man stud). Do the math.

November 18, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |