November 19th, 2010

Overheard on CNN.com: To circumcise or not?

COMMENT OF THE DAY: "I think we should circumcise San Francisco from the union. Just cut the whole city off and dump it in the ocean. Bet we wouldn't even feel it." - stonecrow

A man named Lloyd Schofield wants to add a new law to the books in San Francisco: A ban on all male circumcisions. Those who violate the ban could be jailed (not more than one year) or fined (not more than $1,000), under his proposal. Circumcisions even for religious reasons would not be allowed. Schofield and like-minded advocates who call themselves "intactivists" seek to make it "unlawful to circumcise, excise, cut, or mutilate the whole or any part of the foreskin, testicles, or penis" of anyone 17 or younger in San Francisco.

Discussion was, as you might expect, passionate.

Check out CNN.com readers' responses to this and other stories

1. The Dude

CNN pulling comments perfectly within their "terms of use"... again.

November 19, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. The Dude

Don't mention that in Africa they do it to girls.

November 19, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. DH

Sure, go ahead and mutilate babies...nothing wrong with that. not at all!!

November 19, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Adam Lenk

Removal of any part of the body surly removes the risk of that part of the body being susceptible to infection. This procedure should be banned until an age of consent has been reached. At a time that the boy is able to decide for himself whether he wishes or not to have the procedure and permanently alter his body.

November 19, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MrNoDoze

Isn't it more cleanly to have some foreskin removed? Um Dude this isn't Africa. Why would San Francisco mention banning that horrid practice on another continent? I agree that smashing a girl's sensitive parts between rocks is ghastly, but I see no relevance here. That practice is not permitted in America. Personally I don't really care I was nipped when I was too young to remember. Better it happen then instead of now.

November 19, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. kay nwk

R they for real

November 20, 2010 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. Carl

One of the dumbest stories I ever read. Don't you guys have anything more important to report than this nonsense ?

November 20, 2010 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  8. Papa T

Carl, it is never nonsense when a group of elitist try to impose their views and practices on a society. Medicine says either way is fine. It is no ones business what the parents may decide and for what reason. This is a perfect example of government becoming way too intrusive in private lives. This must stop for us to remain a free society.

November 20, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • wmnt

Oh geeze, I completely agree that the ban is dumb, I just HATE that people toss around terms like "elitists." It has no meaning anymore because now any and everyone is called an elitist. This is about people ignoring the fact that medicine is inconclusive so banning it is not a worthy pursuit, not about "elitism."

November 23, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jeff

My twin boys will be born in March, they will be fortunate enough to have the choice when they are older.
    There is no need for me to make a irreversible decision for them.

I wish I could have been afforded such a decision, I never had the choice.

November 20, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dumb and dumber

They will be nasty old men, harbingers for infections especially urinary tract infections and cervical cancers...their poor future wives or any woman who comes in contact with them. How can you be so uncultured?

November 21, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Brent

Good job, Jeff. Time to get rid of this "tradition" that came here to curb masturbation thinking it caused disease and saw genital cutting as a way to get rid of it.

"Dumb and dumber" just keeps getting "dumb and dumber" with his comments.

November 21, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • wmnt

Really? You are THAT traumatized? IT's a serious question, I'm trying to understand how half of men say "yea I don't remember it, I don't hate my parents, and my girlfriend thanks them for doing it," and the other half are up in arms about how it completely altered the course of their lives...

November 23, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Melissa

There are pros and cons. If you as a parent lack the ability to teach proper hygene then yes, without the procedure, your boy has a slightly higher risk of infection. These are the cases where he will have to do it at an older age, making the procedure "memorable" leaving the kid to cope with the pain. I don't think it should be banned simply because of the religious aspects. However, it is a painful procedure best done at birth, rather than adulthood if parents choose to do so. Babies still experience the pain, but cope with it better than one would at an older age. Personally, if I ever have a boy, I would prefer to teach him how to clean himself properly.

November 20, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dumb and dumber

You're just plain nasty!

November 21, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Brent

Cleaning under the foreskin takes less than five seconds to clean with just water in the shower. It is not hard to do.

"Dumb and dumber" just keeps getting "dumb and dumber" with his comments.

November 21, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Omni

Dumb and dumber

Cut off all the body part that stinks. Cut off your azz holes. Cut off you testicles, prostrate, brest, lungs etc to prevent cancer.

November 22, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. David

I'm glad my parents left me intact...if I had a son he'd also be uncirced. Keeping it clean is not a big deal and in my life I've never had any kind of infection.

November 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dumb and dumber

Every Petri-dish says that...

November 21, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Brent

It honestly is extremely easy to clean under the foreskin. If someone cannot clean down there then that person probably does not even know how to clean other parts of their body.

"Dumb and dumber" just keeps getting "dumb and dumber" with his comments.

November 21, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. cesar

Please don't cut my pp.

November 21, 2010 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Dumb and dumber

Both thumbs down and off with your head!

November 21, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Brent

Seriously, leave our genitals alone.

"Dumb and dumber" just keeps getting "dumb and dumber" with his comments.

November 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Derrick

Brent. ENOUGH. We get it, you disagree with "dumb and dumber." We all understand that you are completely unoriginal with your little sign off there. It doesn't get funnier the more you use it.

November 23, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |