November 19th, 2010

FDA: Darvon, Darvocet to be pulled

The pharmaceutical company that makes the prescription pain medications Darvon and Darvocet has agreed to withdraw the drugs from the U.S. market at the request of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the FDA said Friday.

The FDA says the drug, propoxyphene, puts patients at risk of potentially serious or fatal heart rhythm abnormalities. Since 2009, 10 million people have been prescribed some form of the drug.

"We recommend to physicians stop prescribing the drugs. As for patients, do not stop taking it, but we urge you to contact your health care professional. Do not delay," said Gerald Dal Pan, director of the FDA's Office of Surveillance and Epidemiology.

Xanodyne Pharmaceuticals Inc. manufactures Darvon and Darvocet, two brand name versions of propoxyphene. The FDA also asked generic makers of the pain medicine to voluntarily remove their products.

The decision to remove the drug came after the FDA reviewed a new trial study that looked at the drug's impact on heart rhythms.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Health
  1. cesar

Oh

November 19, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. phil

New study my azz. These and other drugs are often peddled to US by money-hungry doctors. They spend so many hours per day writing prescriptions, after just a few years their scribble is barely legible. And now nurses are authorized to write prescriptions. Let's watch as their handwriting deteriorates too. We spend more on meds than we do on national defense. This is the very reason our healthcare system needs overhauled. Start with making it a conflict of interest for congressmen, judges, etc to personally invest in big-pharma

November 19, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ulf Jonasson

Dear Sirs,

We want to add to this text that we have studied the painkilling substance propoxyphene (DXP) since 1993. Now FDA says that ONE NEW STUDY made them to stop Darvon.

We have informed FDA about our research since 1999-2000, they know about our 9-10 scientific articles about the substance, we also wrote two doctorial dissertations (2000 and 2001) in Sweden. Our research was behind the decision in UK, Sweden and The European Union (EU) to stop the drug.

Go to this link, http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1914706420101119

Our references are nrs 21-26.

Ulf Jonasson, Doctor of Public Health
    Birgitta Jonasson, PhD

Search Jonasson Propoxyphene

Go to YouTube, Darvon, Distalgeic and Co-Proxamol. The worst drugs ever

November 19, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. phil@Ulf Jonasson

Thanx for the info. It's amazing how people just trust their doctor's prescriptions, never researching the prescribed drug...just taking it. It's crippled America's healthcare system. Prescription writers should be subjected to our newest investigative techniques to find out if they themselves have even researched the drugs they prescribe. (water-boarding comes to mind)

November 19, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nat

Phil...My first comment would be bite me..obviously u arent in the health care industry!!#1nurses still cant write prescriptions.#2.we dont peddle drugs...so many people abuse the health care system its ridiculous!!!Going from hospital to hospital or doctor to doctor to get their fix and all on taxpayers dime..and if a doc says no..people sue...

November 19, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. phil@Nat

"The drugs we prescribe here are for short-term use only. Any long term use may result in permanent brain damage" is the standard disclaimer used by most mental health facilities. why? So after they prescribe these short-term use only drugs to your brother for over ten years, you can't sue them. The Hippocratic Oath has been traded for a European vacation. PS nurses have been writing prescriptions for years now. get a clue.

November 19, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jennifer

Maybe it's time for a more natural approach to pain management, particularly for long term conditions as opposed to acute pain. Here is a great article about the Darvocet recall and alternatives to pain management: http://biovedawellness.com/2010/11/fda-pulls-painkiller-medicine-off-the-market/

November 20, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. celeste

Do you have to experience something to understand it? In the case of chronic pain, YES. Before I developed chronic pain in my twenties, I laughed at "those hypochondriacs" who went to many doctors trying to get relief. I considered them pill shoppers trying to get a fix. Well then the laugh was on me. At first I was just outraged that I hurt 24 hr a day and nobody could help me. After all this is America. But as I started to try to help myself I found a world of people who hurt all the time. They hid it because those who don't hurt cannot imagine it, the way I did not. People who hurt want to keep their jobs, their husbands. their wives and to not be treated like prey of people who might take advantage of them. Needless to say forty years later, I still hurt. I am just able to get around because I am extremely independent minded and have refused wheelchairs and up until now a cane. I still work although I am seventy. But here is the point. I have taken darvocet for forty years since I was thirty. I cannot tell you how many times I thought about taking something stronger just to feel comfortable for a few hours. But I did not want to go from a class III drug to a class II drug such as oxycodone or codeine. Now I find that all my determination meant absolutely nothing to the drug companies and the FDA who want their own drugs of choice pushed and into a higher dependency type drug. Will somebody do something and let me continue a few more years until I die, taking this weaker drug Darvocet. The rate of suicide with Darvon or Darvocet could be higher because there are people who are not willing to continue to hurt and kill themselves. Has anyone considered that?

November 21, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • L

boy do I understand you...I started hurting in my 20s from a bad car wheck.I went 30 years with my pain..10 years ago My dr gave me darvocet. My life became much better...now look..no darvocet cause some nut took it off the market..FDA are you happy now that so many people are in chronic pain. I cant take the strong meds that the fda wants us to get hooked on..I tried what my doctor gave me and it makes me sick and it keeps me awake...I hope te ones with chronic pain are finding something that helps them..good luck CHRONIC PAIN friends....

February 10, 2011 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  9. Demetrius Standiford

Acute pain might be mild and last just a moment, or it might be severe and last for weeks or months. In most cases, acute pain does not last longer than six months, and it disappears when the underlying cause of pain has been treated or has healed. Unrelieved acute pain, however, might lead to chronic pain.

June 6, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |