November 19th, 2010

Passenger on windshield crack: How can it happen?

On a Delta flight from Atlanta, Georgia to Orange County, California the captain came on the loud-speaker saying there was a problem in the cockpit – the cockpit windshield had cracked - and they needed to make an emergency landing in Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Passenger Mike Fleming was on the flight, updating his Facebook status while it was happening and took a photo of the damaged windshield. Fleming  spoke to American Morning’s Kiran Chetry about the sudden emergency situation at 34,000 feet mid-air.

1. phatslim

Nothing a thorough pat down can't prevent.

November 19, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dean

You're all idiots.

November 19, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. Eric

Planes break, just like everything else.

November 19, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sam

Honestly it sounds like the pilot handled this pretty poorly. It seems like this isn't too uncommon and the passengers weren't really in any danger, but the pilot scared the crap out of them making that announcement. He could of just said their was a minor mechanical problem that required them to land and not scared everyone. I hope this pilot would be disciplined for the way he handles this.

November 19, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. Chase

Ole crazy eyed Mike Fleming may certainly have a book deal coming from this..."How I survived the Delta cracked windshield experience". Hopefully for Mike he will make a fortune from this and then get on a weight loss program and get that crazy lazy eye taken care of.

Also, maybe he will get a life... updating Facebook? What does this guy have to talk about that is sooooo urgent that he has to update his status? Facebook is silly.

November 19, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bob Forsyth

Canadian Geese can fly as high as 35,000 feet. When you hit one at 550 MPH, I am sure a windshield will crack.

November 19, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Jake

Maybe Canada Geese.

November 19, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Texas Pete

Canada Geese are from Canada, and hence are also Canadian geese.

November 19, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dear drobes

drobes and especially doug, you both are mentally retarded. have a nice day

November 19, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sevoruco

For everthing there is a possibility it could had been a meteorite the size of a particle of sand or rain hail or maybe it was allready there when the aircraft departed.When did the pilot noticed it is the first question.?

November 19, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. Doc Spok

Yay for facebook status updates! People need to get a life.

November 19, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  10. Peter

Hype. This kind of thing happens quite frequently. A guy got a picture of it. Wow. Big deal.

November 19, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. Captain Ahab

I am on a plane now. I just tweeted that I am going to the bathroom. I will update my Myspace while Im in there. I will then tweet that I am back in my seat when I am done. In fact, I just tweeted that I am commenting on this article.

November 19, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • david

i just tweeted that you tweeted about you tweeting about commenting on this article. Sweet tweet.

November 19, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Petes

and I just "liked" that you just tweeted that ahad tweeted about ahad tweeting about comments on this article.

November 19, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Captain Ahab

Tweet Tweet Tweet Tweet. My shoe was untied, but I fixed it.

November 19, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joshua

First I hear of bombs on planes... then engines failing.... now windshields cracking... I am taking the train.

November 19, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Stupid is as Stupid does

...and another perfect example of people making irrational conclusionss when they don't understand what they read...

November 19, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  13. Cheryl

I wonder how many passengers will sue for phsychological distress in hopes of a big payday.

November 19, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sir Craig

Oh, for the love of... Airliner windshields fail all the time. It can happen for a number of reasons, ranging from faulty window heating to simply being old. RARELY do they ever fail catastrophically, so there was never any real danger. The flight crew made the right decision to land quickly before it DID become catastrophic, but this story rates along the lines of, "So and so was driving home from work when they received a rock chip in their windshield." CNN and the other news outlets need to stop making mountains out of molehills.

November 19, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • genna

So true, as a former aircraft meachanic who logged years working all types of boeing aircraft, the wind screens are over 2 inches think and made of plastic. They also have an other layer of glass that protects the plactic and in cases of crazing the glass can be broken to allow for a clearer view. This is allowed under maintenance manuel procedures. Stay Calm America, CNN is doing what they fo best, scaring eveyone!!!!!!

November 19, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  15. phil

Geese bring down more airliners than "terrorists" do...by an order of magnitude no less. Your hometown's water supplies are wide open to attacks. NOTHING could stop "terrorists" from poisoning them. And we all know how easy it is to illegally enter this country.

November 19, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |