November 22nd, 2010

Minnesota Vikings fire coach Brad Childress

The Vikings have given coach Brad Childress the axe.

The Minnesota Vikings have fired their head coach Brad Childress. A statement released by the team says he will be replaced by assistant Leslie Frazier.

It’s been a controversial and disappointing season for the Vikings who went to the NFC championship game last season. Childress had public disagreements with quarterback Brett Favre, and got in trouble with owner Ziggy Wilf when he didn’t tell him about his plans to release big-name wide receiver Randy Moss.

The last straw came yesterday when the Vikings were humiliated at home 31-3 by Favre’s old team and arch-rival Green Bay Packers. That dropped the Vikings record to 3-7 and virtually eliminated any chance of them making the playoffs this year.

Post by:
Filed under: Sports
  1. Randy

Tony Dungy please.

November 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Don

How patheitic. I guess it must be the coaches fault that dinosaur Favre has done nothing this year other than flaunt his ego. How about keeping the coach, let a fresh new quarterback start his career and blossom with Favre (reference Aaron Rogers). What have you got to lose? The team is 3 and 7. Pathetic team, patheitc ownership.

November 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Don

Typo in last email. Meant to say "without Favre". Sorry

November 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. VikingFan

'Bout time!

November 22, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. geraldh

Farve has already stated he won't be back next year in no uncertain terms. The question is do they play him the last 6 games, not does he come back. For my money it would be pointless. Some argue that he would give a better chance at a win than Jackson or Web. The way he is playing? Some say Jackson has proven himself not to be an NFL quarterback. I say he was young when he played before. We need to see if he has learned anything the last two years. They did go 10-6 with him two years ago so he wasn't all bad. Web probably isn't ready but it might not hurt to give him playing time as well. Farve should retire now. The rest of the season is pointless for him except for 300 wins and I don't think that has any benefit for the team.

November 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pete in Wisconsin

"Farve has already stated he won't be back next year in no uncertain terms."

Why would this year be any different from the past four?
      (And it's 'Favre,' if it matters to you. 🙂 )

November 22, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rins

I actually believe him this time. The fact that he went to Minnesota is enough for me to say I believe he kept playing in part because he wanted to prove the packers were "wrong" for letting him go. I think after last year he should have felt that he showed he can still play and the main reason he came back this year was for the money and the thought of how close they really were last year. He has no reason left to come back unless he wants to "redeem" himself...which honestly I'm not sure if the vikes would even start him and I can't imagine another team picking him up so even if he wanted to play I'm not sure he could.

Btw the Pack wasn't wrong regardless of the NFC championship game (which really any decent QB could have taken that team to the championship game...they had a lot of talent everywhere except at the QB position). They had the future of their QB position ready and raring to go with Favre having one foot out the door with all his retirement drama. I was hoping they would start giving Rodgers the experience he needed as opposed to giving in to Favre again. Too many games have ended on Favre interceptions and Rodgers had shown great potential. Rodgers can throw as good as Favre and he doesn't seem to want to force the ball anywhere near as much as Favre does. As exciting as it was to see Favre on his good days (where the forced balls turned into great touchdowns as opposed to interceptions), I'm more than happy to have Rodgers as our QB and I was glad/am still glad that they started Rodgers when they did.

November 22, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JRR

I am a Green Bay fan, and like Favre. He gave his best year to GB and deserves respect for that. If the Minnesota offensive line could give Favre the time to throw like Brady or Manning gets, he would have no problem playing until he is 50!.

November 22, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • IceT

"..gave his best YEAR to GB.." Hahaha .... I hope that was intentional. As a Packer fan myself I couldn't agree more, LOL..tear...

November 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pete in Wisconsin

scha·den·freu·de
    –noun
    satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune.

scha·den·favre
    –noun
    satisfaction or pleasure felt at Brett Favre's misfortune.

(Yeah, I know – he's a bazillionaire. But still...)

November 22, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sanched

Awesome comment! Unfortunately most of the readers on this thread won't get it.

November 22, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Layne

That comment was priceless!

November 22, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Chris

Who cares about the pack or vikings? They can't even beat the Dolphins at home...neither are going anywhere

November 22, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • carol

Ha-Ha-Ha...obviuosly not paying attention.

November 22, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. b

Protection, protection, protection – run blocking – 3d down back – Offensive line, no deep threat, no protection, bad game plan = bad overall play. I for one loved watching last year, especially, Farve. It was a magical year.

Where is the defensive rush this year? Corner backs seem thin – lots of holes in the entire team this year. Coaches, they put the team together for the year, and it stinks everywhere.

But for one short year (last year), it took me back to the glory years, the ‘70’s Vikings. TJ sucks and has always sucked, and will suck when put in again – 1st round draft pick – QB all the way.

November 22, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alan Page

I agree!

November 22, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Andy

Fraziers first duty as the new head coach-bench Favre and put your potential future quarterback TJ in the line-up. He can't do worst and you know with 100 percent certainty that Favre is not coming back. Get the young QB some reps so he can start preparing to defend his 1st string position next season. This one's over!

November 22, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • okaybutdoit

I totally agree.

November 22, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Brett Favre

Hold on CNN...Me and some of my teammates are flying to the owner's winter home to try and get his job back..

November 22, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Randy M.

except me..I am in Tennessee though...FIRE JEFF FISCHER!!!

November 22, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brett Favre

Hold on CNN. I changed my mind.....

November 22, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jared Allen

Shut up Brett...just shut up and play....Stop CRYING.....Literally....

November 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deanna Favre

Brett...Sugarplum...Honey ...Sweetie... Who is Jennifer?

November 22, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen Sturger

hey Brett!!!!
      I kept my mouth shut!!
      Where is my money????

November 22, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reality check

Jen, that's the problem...

November 22, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark Chmura

Brett, I warned you about this kind of stuff. Remember Catholic Memorial Post Prom, 2000?

November 22, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve McNair

Ya, Brett, Look how well this sort of thing worked out for me!

November 22, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • okaybutdoit

LMBO! except – Steve McNair, now that's just wrong...but BAHAHHAHAHAHA

November 22, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lameduck

Favre fired Childress!

November 22, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • IceT

That statement is more accurate than most will believe! Good one.

November 22, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. liz

maybe favre should have been FORCED to come to training camp instead of being all wishy-washy about his return! what a tool...get a life!

November 22, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BurnTHalO

First step done. Now you need to pull the most overrated QB in NFL history, and the man who is a bigger cancer/locker room destroyer than TO and Moss combined.

November 22, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Samantha

Favre haters are pathetic

November 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • carol

Whats more pathetic are the Favre fans that think he walks on water and does no wrong. It amazes me how a lost game is never his fault even after throwing 17 interceptions this season and its only 1/2 over. I and MANY others had absolute respect for him as a man and an ahtlete, he deserved it 100%, he could have retired respected and proud of the way his career went he was a loved man. Now he's a wash-up, disrespected, old, hurt has been. The coachs make the calls but, the players still have to PLAY and EXECUTE, after all they do get paid quite nicely for it.

November 22, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • BurnTHalO

Go look at his playoff record over the last 12 seasons, and tell me why he's great. He's been ranked in the bottom half of the league in passer rating more times than the top half. People hate on him with legit reasons.

November 22, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |