November 22nd, 2010

Pat down backlash grows during holiday travel rush

As backlash against airline passenger pat-downs intensified with a viral online video, the nation's top airline security official said Monday that his agency is walking a fine line between privacy concerns and public safety.

A short video clip circulating on the internet shows a shirtless boy receiving a pat-down from a Transportation Security Administration agent. His father watches, hands on his hips, obstructing part of the view. But the words playing in the background are clear.

"Are they harassing a kid?" one man asks.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Air travel
  1. CaptainObvious

The kid's dad removed the shirt. If you don't like being patted down then don't fly. Nobody is preventing you from traveling, but they are preventing you from wearing a C4 athletic supporter. If the TSA did nothing then all of you would cry bloody murder should a plane end up scattered across the Atlantic Ocean. The Ben Franklin quote is always amusing, but I bet he'd change his opinion if he had an epidemic of air terrorism on his hands. There are certain bars and events that use metal detectors or pat downs for security. If you don't like it you are free to avoid such venues.

November 22, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. CaptainObvious

I'm also opposed to pilots being able to skip the security checks. We already know that 9/11 occurred because of trained terrorist pilots. All it takes is one pilot armed with a gun or bomb to bring down a plane. It's really a dumb move not to check pilots.

November 22, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sgt. Slaughter

@ obvious

Obviously you don't get it. Pilots should lead by example.

They fly the plane as a matter of fact. Why would they need a bomb ??? They could probably fly it into the crack of your A$$ of they wanted to.... Get it now???

November 22, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John

I am currently a TSO working for TSA and as I listen to Mrs.Hilary Clinton I now come to realize her ignorance! No wonder why she was never elected as President.The reason why Mrs.Clinton would make a bold statement like that is because if she shows the right crudentials she avoids the xray and patdowns.And as for Rep.Chaffetz , in that video the little boy would of not been patted down if he never alarmed the walk through its just common sense! Why would a TSO pat him down if he walk through the detector safely? Stop the non-sense and understand that we cannot profile a terroirst! If you can tell me what a terrorist looks like you will make my job 100 times easier!

November 22, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Condor

My how quickly we forget.....FORT HOOD RING A BELL??

SO HERE'S THE SENARIO...

ROGUE PILOT SLIPS THROUGH SECURITY WITH A GUN. THEN SHOOTS THE CO-PILOT AND NAVIGATOR, WHO COULD RISIST HIM AS HE FLIES THE PLANE INTO ANOTHER BUILDING......

THEN THE PILOTS WILL HAVE TO SUBMIT TO SCREENING....

November 22, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sgt. Slaughter

If you don't know what a terrorist looks like. Then you should get another job. Maybe mcdonalds

November 22, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Condor

Is everybody that stupid? @ Ft Hood it was a genuine army Major who shot 30 people. I don't think pilots are immune.

As for TSO who can't find a terrorist...

Get another job

November 22, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. CaptainObvious

SgtStupid: Ever think one pilot might bump off the co-pilot and navigator? You're brain is truly amazing. Where did you go to school? I'd like to know, so I can tell people to stay away.

November 22, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CaptainObvious

SgtStupid plays checkers while everyone else plays chess. When a plane comes down because a bad pilot slipped through he will drink a case of Milwaukee's Best to forget he was so dumb. I seriously doubt you made any rank in the military other than toilet scrubber.

November 22, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CaptainObvious

Does McDonald's have good benefits SgtStupid? Which one do you work at? I'd like to know so I can tell people to stay away.

November 22, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. CaptainObvious

CNN blocks intelligent debate, yet allows SGTstool to open his uneducated 2 dimensional yap. Nice.

November 22, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sgt. Slaughter

So I guess we will have to wait until a tragedy like that happens before the DHS and TSA decide to screen airline personnel

One more plane flying into building and all on board dead

I hope there are no muslim pilots out there

Until then I guess we are all shooting craps when we fly

I really feel safe now. DO YOU?

November 22, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. CaptainObvious

I retract my comment about CNN, although a couple were blocked.

November 22, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. CaptainObvious

Even if we banned all Middle Eastern immigrant pilots there would be a crazy Al Queda sympathizer Caucasian pilot eventually. Or are there no white criminals?

November 22, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. WhiteMuslim

We don't exist. We are magical unicorns.

November 22, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |