November 26th, 2010

Friday's intriguing people

Matt Chandler

The Dallas, Texas, pastor has turned his yearlong battle with a brain tumor into sermons and video journals that talk about his struggles. Chandler is the pastor of The Village Church in Dallas, which averages around 8,300 people for Sunday services.

Before his surgery to attempt to remove the tumor he recorded a video for his congregation reminding them not to be angry - that even people of faith must deal with struggles.

"My hope would be that you would see that [God] is good in all things and that he would never send to any of us things that he does not provide strength for," Chandler said, according to the Dallas Morning News.

According to the Morning News, Chandler's sermon podcasts on some occasions have reached 250,000 downloads for the month. And his inspirational story earned him invitations to speak at Christian conferences and inspire others.

"Among young evangelical pastors, I think you've got to put Chandler in the top five most influential," Ed Stetzer, president of LifeWay Research, part of the Southern Baptist Convention, told the newspaper.

Luis Perez

The undocumented immigrant is the first to graduate from UCLA's law school. Perez plans to take the bar exam in January.

His parents came here illegally, but he says he's done everything, by the book and the Constitution, which he says is what inspired him to become a lawyer. Still, he's not yet an American.

"Why go to college if you can't get a real job when you graduate,'" Perez told the Los Angeles Times his critics said. "If I had listened to those people, I wouldn't have done anything with my life."

Perez is another example of someone whose entire life perhaps hinges on the Dream Act, a bill, which if passed would help him and others become legal residents if they serve in the military or complete college.

"Most students experience law school as a trade school," Saul Sarabia, an administrator at UCLA's School of Law told the LA Times. "They learn doctrines, rules and apply them to a set of theoretical situations. But in Luis' case, his entire future turns on whether a law can become reality."

For Perez, it isn't about what he's owed, but instead what he's worked so hard for.

"I'm not asking for anything," he said of his hope for legal status. "This is something I've earned. I've graduated from school, served my community and tried my best to reach my potential."

Cam Newton

The star quarterback of the Auburn Tigers has been the center of a pay-for-play investigation by the NCAA and FBI. His life gets no easier this afternoon, as he and the Tigers head to Tuscaloosa to take on the defending national champion and their biggest rivals, the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Newton, who began his college career at Florida and left amid an arrest for receiving a stolen computer, is also the frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy, but many Heisman voters are waiting to see what the outcome of the investigation is before casting their vote.

1. Tom

A criminal from a family of criminals stealing money from American citizens being labeled as an"intriguing person" by CNN. How pathetic.

November 26, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DAVID BURLESON

Ka,Americans have the right to be here,and receive all benefits,illegals are criminals,and deserve nothing but to be deported.Perez and all illegals have no rights to higher education,and are criminals.

November 26, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • ka

David: True but do they have the right to receive healthcare but not being insured and me a legal immigrant has to cough up the dough for those who are a) not willing to have heathcare insurance or b) (more common) cannot afford healthcare. Why do I have to pay for them. Isn't this a free country ? Well you receive the service you paid for.
      FYI: I come from a country where we pay about 60% in taxes so everybody can afford healthcare. So I prefere the # 2 🙂
      $6 a gallon &^%$# 🙂

November 26, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • ka

On a more serious note: how do you prevent them from obtaining higher education except from deporting which I think is very hard to do. Building a fence is only a temp solution. The lure to come to the States needs to be taken away which is a job

November 26, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. DAVID BURLESON

I am a Veteran,and paid for my care with my service.America is one of the few Nations that will not deny medical care,to save a life,which is why some come here.As for education,the Supreme court,in their infinite ignorance,said that everyone here has the right to k-12 education,but they at least said that higher education is not the same,and must be paid for.The solution to the immigration problem is to enforce all of the laws,deport all of the illegals,and give them no benefits.The 14th needs to be for Americans and their children,only,as it was when it was passed.With no benefits,no chance of a job,and no citizenship,illegals will not come as they have,and those that do will be easier to locate,and deport.

November 26, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eli

Luis should be deported! period! with a god damn exclamation mark! go back to Mexico thief!

November 26, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Amy

God is good and does good. Thank you, Matt Chandler, for pointing us toward Light in the darkness. Press on!

November 26, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jon Park

David Burleson... I wonder why your parents gave you a Christian name, an awesome king that ruled Israel for many years... you must be a Christian but you don't act like one, what a disgrace. The Bible says for us to love one another, even enemies, and our neighbors, and other races... Exodus 22:21, Leviticus 19:33-34, etc. God says to love the people, hate the sin, but also to forgive others. I love everyone, no matter their race, age, gender, etc. but i do hate their sin. I do hate your sin for hating on the illegal immigrants because this land is for all of us, not just Americans, i thought as an American Christian, you would understand that... maybe you're not a Christian, then i'm really sorry, maybe you're like most Muslims that only accepts people of their own culture... I love Muslims but i hate their sin.. I forgive you.. If you are a Christian, please read your Bible.. thanks ^_^

I would understand for a non-christian American to hate on illegals and for them to leave.. but i really don't understand a Christian American to want illegals to leave, what a hypocrite... but i guess you're not a Christian, probably a Muslim, which if you are then i'm sorry for assuming you're a Christian...

November 27, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
    • DAVID BURLESON

I am an American,and laws need to be enforced,and followed,or we have anarchy,and lose our nation.My ancestors lived her long before people came from Europe,who took this land,renamed it,and called it the Americas.Today,our nation is invaded by criminals who come and kill more Americans in a year than we lose in all of our wars combined,and slow people like you say let them be,so when you suffer from any crimes,do not call the police,just let them be,as you want others to do.Illegals number in the millions,and that is more than our military,and any other military of any modern nation,as well.We have been invaded by a foreign enemy,who needs to leave,and not be allowed to stay,and receive benefits.Go back to school,and learn this time.

November 27, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • DAVID BURLESON

The Illegal is also 29,and has been studying law,knowing he is breaking laws,over and over,making him a habitual criminal by his actions.Deport the criminal if he will not follow the law,and leave on his own.

November 27, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sam Houston

Just a note for the pastor–the Bible clearly shows that although God has his reasons for permitting suffering, he never sends suffering. James 1:13, Job 34:10,12

November 27, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |