November 26th, 2010

Friday's intriguing people

Matt Chandler

The Dallas, Texas, pastor has turned his yearlong battle with a brain tumor into sermons and video journals that talk about his struggles. Chandler is the pastor of The Village Church in Dallas, which averages around 8,300 people for Sunday services.

Before his surgery to attempt to remove the tumor he recorded a video for his congregation reminding them not to be angry - that even people of faith must deal with struggles.

"My hope would be that you would see that [God] is good in all things and that he would never send to any of us things that he does not provide strength for," Chandler said, according to the Dallas Morning News.

According to the Morning News, Chandler's sermon podcasts on some occasions have reached 250,000 downloads for the month. And his inspirational story earned him invitations to speak at Christian conferences and inspire others.

"Among young evangelical pastors, I think you've got to put Chandler in the top five most influential," Ed Stetzer, president of LifeWay Research, part of the Southern Baptist Convention, told the newspaper.

Luis Perez

The undocumented immigrant is the first to graduate from UCLA's law school. Perez plans to take the bar exam in January.

His parents came here illegally, but he says he's done everything, by the book and the Constitution, which he says is what inspired him to become a lawyer. Still, he's not yet an American.

"Why go to college if you can't get a real job when you graduate,'" Perez told the Los Angeles Times his critics said. "If I had listened to those people, I wouldn't have done anything with my life."

Perez is another example of someone whose entire life perhaps hinges on the Dream Act, a bill, which if passed would help him and others become legal residents if they serve in the military or complete college.

"Most students experience law school as a trade school," Saul Sarabia, an administrator at UCLA's School of Law told the LA Times. "They learn doctrines, rules and apply them to a set of theoretical situations. But in Luis' case, his entire future turns on whether a law can become reality."

For Perez, it isn't about what he's owed, but instead what he's worked so hard for.

"I'm not asking for anything," he said of his hope for legal status. "This is something I've earned. I've graduated from school, served my community and tried my best to reach my potential."

Cam Newton

The star quarterback of the Auburn Tigers has been the center of a pay-for-play investigation by the NCAA and FBI. His life gets no easier this afternoon, as he and the Tigers head to Tuscaloosa to take on the defending national champion and their biggest rivals, the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Newton, who began his college career at Florida and left amid an arrest for receiving a stolen computer, is also the frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy, but many Heisman voters are waiting to see what the outcome of the investigation is before casting their vote.

1. alexamat

Wake up burlseon, they arent going anywhere so all the rant and raving about sell of what they own is worthless. be oart of the solution not the mythical many that keep saying the same thing.

November 26, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. alexamat

Gotta go, it was fun. Gonna retire in a foreign country as this one is going down the toilet. Americans have proven to be lazy and the US govt is in complete shambles.

November 26, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. michael

Its amazing how many people disreguard the history of this country. Nearly everyone in this country is the child or descandant of an immigrant at one point or another. Maybe the native americans should have declared everyone illegal and deported them. Don't forget that everyone came from somewhere, we are not natives to this country, it was founded on the very principles that you all reject. Personally, sounds like racism to me. Its great that he went to school to get a law degree, at least he is doing something constructive with his life unlike many "illegal" immigrants.

November 26, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • DAVID BURLESON

Immigrants founded this Nation,and became Americans.Their descendents are Americans,and all illegals need to be deported.As for who is an immigrant,and not,you may not know the history of who the first Americans were,and can cite it.

November 26, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

I find it really amazing how people like to bring up how the European descendants are immigrants also. And that we stole the land from the poor Native Americans. Definitely a dark chapter in our history.

But, everyone seems to want to paint the picture that the Native Americans were all living together, holding hands in friendship, in peace in harmony. Wrong. It would be impossible to track the original inhabitants of each area because of continuous migration and lands changing hands from that or tribal conflicts. The "Native" (remember they actually came from Asia through the Bering Straight) Americans are immigrants also, just with a much longer stake on the land. Are most people living in Mexico descendant from Aztecs? They weren't the first ones on that land, they took it over from someone else. Maybe the Aztecs should give it back to them, if they were wiped out.

November 26, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. doughnuts

I wonder how the California Bar Association is going to deal with his application, particularly the character and fitness portion.

November 26, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Trinidad

What a lot of people fail to understand is the word ILLEGAL, which, is used to describe something that is prohibited or not authorized by law or, more generally, by rules specific to a particular situation. I am an immigrant from Trinidad that came to the USA the legal way. To me the American have no problem with immigrants the problem they are having is with ILLEGAL immigrants. And when they say ILLEGAL immigrants it means all ILLEGAL immigrants not just the Mexican. And to me it is an insult when I hear the way they try to justify what they are doing as right. There is nothing right when it is illegal. So I say deport the all back to where they come from and have them do it the right way. And tag them all with a GPS tracker. It is a time that it stops.

November 26, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tom

I just love how the liberals try to say that Obama has done more to remove illegals than Bush ever did. Funny, I don't remember Bush suing a state because they want to keep ILLEGALS (i.e. criminals) out. Obama sued Arizona for wanting to find and remove illegals, a law that he should be enforcing himself. As the Chief Executive, he is to enforce laws, not interpret them. If he wanted to interpret, he should have tried to make his way to be a Justice on the Supreme Court. If a person does not follow the proper process to enter the country, that person is ILLEGAL. Period. End of story.

November 26, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • theconomy

obama signed a $600 miliion dollar bill in august that added national guard troops and advanced technology to the border, and as a direct result of his bill there are more border agents than any other time in US history and the lowest rate of border crossings in a decade.

November 26, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

The fact that he sued a state because they wanted to do the job that he isn't should be grounds for impeachment. He has every right to not agree with the laws. But, until the laws are changed, he is just like every other citizen of the U.S. and must follow them. If he wanted to pass laws, he should have stayed in Congress. If he wanted to interpret laws, he should have become a judge. His job is law enforcement.

November 26, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Luce

How disheartening to see the comments on here. Know that the world is changing, country lines are blurring, gender lines are blurring, humans are becoming more and more human. The human revolution is coming, whether you like it or not...your children's children are planting the seeds of a new society that embraces it's brothers and sisters worldwide. Your money is not going to illegals. They are not stealing your jobs. The greed shown here is striking...you think they come to America to get the easy life? It is not an easy life, it is unimaginably perilous...but these people are so desperate to save their children they will do anything. They are dying by the thousands in their own countries. There is no other way. You think you would do anything different in their place? How silly.

November 26, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

How disheartening to see that you don't live in reality. It would be great if everyone could get along and make the world a better place. But, the truth is that there are too many people in power who are too greedy to see it happen. And not just the people in power. It is sad that many people have close to nothing. Why should the United States be the welfare system of the planet when our own problems are spiraling out of control?

November 26, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. monica

Look with all respect i am an imigrant my self ..an yea i understand they shoould punish ppl that comits crimes ect ect!!but they should see case bye case cauz i was brough wen i was 4 years old i wen trew everything normal good grades play sports did always comunity servise with my church!!i was in rotc for the army everything was good till collage came up an realize i was not like everyone else i had to paay for me shool wish i did books!!i had to drop out my second year to help my family im the only one working cauz my family is not able to work cauz of papers i my self wont lie have so many friends from the us are citizen an they dont work!!there lazy me i support my 3 little brothers my mom i have 2 jobs with a friends help i work t istrue firs cauz lot ppl dont work cauz

November 26, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • DAVID BURLESON

The only good illegals are the deported ones that never came back.People say that the illegals want a better life,but are either too stupid or lazy to do it legally,and make their own Nation better.Illegals are criminals,and those that like them are too stupid to understand that Illegals are not good people.

November 26, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. steven

we have trained military that are quite capable of detecting concentrated strongholds of terrorists and taking them out or atleast moving them across borders.. they're are coming home to no jobs.. why not let them stay on the payroll and move them out of here.. if they meet resistance then take them out...

November 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. monica

Of the pay an the hard work trust me i work unloding trailer trucks an they change ppl so fast cauz of the low pay an so much work!!were around 15 ppl aan its all hispanic!!wont lie other ppl diferent race go in work but dont last cauz of the pay an hard work!!!theres lots of jobs out there trust me they are just ppl wont work them cauz of those reason!!pay an labor!!!like my last job was a gas station i used to work a 1w2 hour shif plus my other joob i got tire cauz well it was slavery for me so i got abother job!!but wen i left that job i cover 2 shift an i found out out he had to get 3 other ppls to cover my job!!i mean an pay was like not goodd but it was a job theres so manythings u can just judge yea i wont lie teres lot ppl i new latinos that i was like dayum for ppl like that they always see us wrong but its like everyone one there good an drstand its not something ormally the bad!!!!

November 26, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Fig1024

sure is a lot of hate in people here. I'm honestly surprised. I can only imagine it was this way with blacks 50 years ago. wow!

November 26, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • DAVID BURLESON

Since when is wanting a Nations laws enforced hate? Immigration laws are not hateful,they are laws,and need to obeyed,not broken.Get a clue.

November 26, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luce

@David So we should obey rules simply because they are there? How sad.

November 26, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Luce, you are right, just because the laws are they, why should the be enforced?

I'll remember that when I visit your house and walk out with your large screen TV, computer, jewelry, or something else you might cherish. They are only laws after all. Or maybe I'll go out and violate someones civil liberties. Maybe yours. They are only laws, who actually listens to them????

November 26, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fig1024

remember at one point in US history, slavery was legal too. Law is not always right. And immigration law badly needs reform. Even our president knows this.

November 26, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Steve

Mr. Perez can take that law degree and try to use it in Mexico. He is ILLEGAL and so are his parents, deport them now. The anchor baby law is stupid, unfair and needs to be changed. If the hosts come in to this country with out the legal papers then their kids are illegal too. I think it is great that he doing almost everything by the book but the fact remains he is illegal and has no right to be here, that should be obvious to anyone.

November 26, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tom

Let's say that I break into your house and steal everything that you have. I don't keep it for myself, but give it to my daughter. I eventually am caught. Would you decide to just let my daughter keep your possessions because she obviously needs them more than you do? I doubt it.

That is basically what is going on. The illegal parents are stealing from the American people to give their children something that they are not legally able to give. Sure citizenship isn't something physical, but how many of them are working the system getting government funds that should be going to legal U.S. citizens? Just by going to school, they are stealing from American tax payers, creating larger class sizes, taking up teacher time, and for the ones that don't speak English are causing more problems. All this at a cost of about $9,000/student/year. With a low ball number of 1 million illegal school aged children, that extra burden on the system is costing an additional $9 billion a year.

November 26, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • peggy357

wow, you are so completely correct.

November 26, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Thnkb4uspeak

Wow, once again all I hear are racist and unreasonable opinions. Remember when racism was legal? When women could not vote? That's right, those were laws that had to be changed so this country could become a better place to leave. Why can't you see the Dream act as a new reform to our nation. A way to use these great talents to make our country a better place to live. Stop beign close minded Americans and be the Americans your ancestors once were. Those immigrants that all they wanted was a better future. Everytime you talk crap on these "illegals" think of your great grand parents.

November 26, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Racism? Oh, yeah, that card that liberals try to play. Funny, I don't see anything race being mentioned. Illegals can be Hispanic, Asian, Black, Caucasian, male, female, tall, short, skinny, fat, etc. Funny how all those categories also apply to legals. I guess that I must be racist towards myself then. The operative term here is ILLEGAL. If you don't have permission to be here from the U.S. government, GET OUT! Just like every other country of the world. Why is it an issue here?

November 26, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • ttttttttttt

because racism is the only argument thnkb4uspeak can come up with. though i'm not sure how 'women' are considered a race

November 26, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • peggy357

Please do make an effort to actually think perhaps even research the evidence before you make an ignorant remark such as this. First of all, the deuge of illegals from Mexico and some of the surrounding nations are not representative of race. Hence youur sad argument claiming racism is ungrounded. What our nation presently has is an obscenely large population of parasites, yes, parasites. They demand anad feed off our limited resources and refuse to make any effort to speak the native language (English any one!!). Have you ever been out of the USA ? When you are within another nation's you are required to obey the laws of that nation. That is not being racist. Even tourists are held accountable to the law.

November 26, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. AMERICAN TALIBAN LIBTARDS

The real solution would be to first deport all the Liberals (aka The American Taliban). Once they are gone from this country than we could deport all of the illegal immigrants, secure the boarder, and basically enforce the laws of this country without a "Liberal Lobby" in place who is more concerned about the rights of non-citizens, terrorists and basically any criminal element over that of Law abiding True American citizens. But than again I guess we should expect criminals to defend other criminals.

November 26, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |