November 26th, 2010

Friday's intriguing people

Matt Chandler

The Dallas, Texas, pastor has turned his yearlong battle with a brain tumor into sermons and video journals that talk about his struggles. Chandler is the pastor of The Village Church in Dallas, which averages around 8,300 people for Sunday services.

Before his surgery to attempt to remove the tumor he recorded a video for his congregation reminding them not to be angry - that even people of faith must deal with struggles.

"My hope would be that you would see that [God] is good in all things and that he would never send to any of us things that he does not provide strength for," Chandler said, according to the Dallas Morning News.

According to the Morning News, Chandler's sermon podcasts on some occasions have reached 250,000 downloads for the month. And his inspirational story earned him invitations to speak at Christian conferences and inspire others.

"Among young evangelical pastors, I think you've got to put Chandler in the top five most influential," Ed Stetzer, president of LifeWay Research, part of the Southern Baptist Convention, told the newspaper.

Luis Perez

The undocumented immigrant is the first to graduate from UCLA's law school. Perez plans to take the bar exam in January.

His parents came here illegally, but he says he's done everything, by the book and the Constitution, which he says is what inspired him to become a lawyer. Still, he's not yet an American.

"Why go to college if you can't get a real job when you graduate,'" Perez told the Los Angeles Times his critics said. "If I had listened to those people, I wouldn't have done anything with my life."

Perez is another example of someone whose entire life perhaps hinges on the Dream Act, a bill, which if passed would help him and others become legal residents if they serve in the military or complete college.

"Most students experience law school as a trade school," Saul Sarabia, an administrator at UCLA's School of Law told the LA Times. "They learn doctrines, rules and apply them to a set of theoretical situations. But in Luis' case, his entire future turns on whether a law can become reality."

For Perez, it isn't about what he's owed, but instead what he's worked so hard for.

"I'm not asking for anything," he said of his hope for legal status. "This is something I've earned. I've graduated from school, served my community and tried my best to reach my potential."

Cam Newton

The star quarterback of the Auburn Tigers has been the center of a pay-for-play investigation by the NCAA and FBI. His life gets no easier this afternoon, as he and the Tigers head to Tuscaloosa to take on the defending national champion and their biggest rivals, the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Newton, who began his college career at Florida and left amid an arrest for receiving a stolen computer, is also the frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy, but many Heisman voters are waiting to see what the outcome of the investigation is before casting their vote.

1. postedbygeorge

Illegals calling illegals illegal, occupying land and taking property after murdering people, slicing open pregnant women and smashing the babies heads, spreading diseases by giving contaminated items as gifts, and committing more otracities, all of these acts make the occupiers and their descendants illegal. There is no statue of limitation on murder and genocide is murder of families, men, women, children and unborn children. Look in the mirror and realize the coverup that the illegals are doing by making laws against illegals. Occupation of land after genocide makes all the following occupiers illegal even if they selectively ignore and fail to abide by their own statements by not applying those statements to themselves. Illegals calling illegals illegals be quiet, what goes around comes around.

November 26, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. letssee

the taliban is a conservative fundamentalist organization that wants to use the laws of it's nation to enforce their religious moral opinions. Not exactly a description of liberals in this country.

November 26, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. obsthetimes

be quite postedbygeorge and take your medication because you are making no sense at all. You are getting to live in this great country built by the very people you so abuse.
    Why do feel good stories make up for breaking the law. The UCLA student and his ilk are breaking the law. Plain and simple. Soon a criminal will be taking the bar exam. This is incongruous to me. Only in america, I say.

November 26, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ttttttttttt

lol @ postedbygeorge bringing back the times of Indians. such a garbage argument.

November 26, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. unhappy

First of all, Luis Perez is not owed ANYTHING, in fact he owes the state of California for his studies. He should have been paying out of country fees but got subsidized by tax payer money. Now he is going into law and he is a criminal. How is that for a great country. I spent thousands of dollars to get here legally and here he comes and does this. I guess the country IS being run by criminals. They are even educated here.

November 26, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Delta5

We should all become illegals and move to mexico

November 26, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • ttttttttttt

sorry, but mexicans can't even turn their own country into something worthwhile... i don't see a point in doing this

November 26, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SeNdEm PaCkInG

You supporters of illegal immagration seem to forget that OUR ECONOMY D4MN NEAR COLLAPSED, for many reasons, and ONE of them, no matter how small, is the fact that we have HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS, if not millions of ILLEGALS, who DONT PAY TAXES and recieve HEALTH CARE AND PUBLIC EDUCATION!!! Which is paid for by US CITIZENS and LEGAL IMMAGRANTS ALIKE!! IF THEY PAID TAXES, OR THEIR OWN MEDICAL BILLS then it would LOWER all of our taxes and RICO SWAUVE's hip replacement or broken leg WOULDNT COME OUT OF MY FREAKIN PAYCHECK!!.

If you want to live in this country THEN FREAKIN CONTRIBUTE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. There are plenty of immagrants that came into this country the "proper" way.

November 26, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • ttttttttttt

*immigrant*

November 26, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • ka

You want to talk business fine: let's start with having stiff penalties for companies (American mostly) who hire illegal immigrants. Even better take them out off business for 5 years. THen when we buy ourproducts in the cheap stores let's have all the products being labled as legal or illegal produced. I agree (as an legal immigrant) that people need to abide by the law.Do you need to punish the parents, probably yes.Do you need to punish the children, no.
      Start cleaning up your own backyard first by making it impossible for companies to hire illegals. Simple solution. My daughter applied for Arizona State. One of the requirements is show of immigrant status which is a green card. Drivers license ,show your greencard or visa status. If one proof of residence is still your yearbook picture you are just asking for it

November 26, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • letssee

just because people like Ka here support practical solutions based on reform instead of yelling 'kick em out' doesnt mean they support people breaking the law.

November 26, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. SeNdEm PaCkInG

postedbygeorge i agree you are an IDIOT for bringing up the Native Americans, This is about our future NOT OUR PAST

November 26, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

I couldn't disagree more with that statement. We need to look to the past and see how well allowing illegal immigrants to stay worked out for the Native Americans. That should set a good example right there.

November 26, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. SeNdEm PaCkInG

i know my spelling is horrible,lol. Everything has spellchecker now days so ive become lazy

November 26, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MexiCan

It is much easy to live here than in Mexico. Why should I go back there when what I have now I could never get back at home. It is not like I do not pay taxes I still pay something back when I shop, eat, buy stuff I am still paying taxes so do not say that we do not give back. Cause of the taxes I pay also take care of my medical bills for my family so why would I have to pay medical if I am paying taxes.

November 26, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Anti-Amnesty

S-729
    SEC. 9. CONFIDENTIALITY OF INFORMATION.
    (a) Prohibition- Except as provided in subsection (b), no officer or employee of the United States may–
    (1) use the information furnished by the applicant pursuant to an application filed under this Act to initiate removal proceedings against any persons identified in the application;
    - – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

For those who believe the DREAM act only gives amnesty to the children of illegals, read the above Section 9 straight out of the bill. Since the applicant will obviously name his parents in his/her appplication, they will automatically be exempt from removal (i.e. deportation). In other words, this bill cleverly rewards the very people who committed the crime in the first place. It gives them amnesty.
    Wake up! This is nothinbg more than a back-door amnesty for all the illegals, not just the children.

November 26, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. steven

yes there are illegal immigrants that are making 6 figure incomes and hire people... their customers are mainly illegals and their employees are all illegal immigrants... they stick together... americans need to stick together and throw them out... it can be done, our military does it in countries all around the world... george "dubya" bush signed the north american alliance and that's why our immigration laws are not being enforced...

November 26, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • ka

of course only illegals will hire illegals,yet who buys those products? Are most Americans that naive to think that if company A has lettuce for the price of $.60 and another for $2 you are not wondering where it came from and how it was produced. I am not talking about organic products.
      Get real American companies are just as much at fault to hire illegals. Garden maintanance/domestic help, cleaning houses etc.
      Start at the source by not allowing illegals to get ANY legal papers.
      One time my niece wanted to stay with us for a year in between 2 schools (so to speak). The US consulate did not want to grant her a visa for a year but the US allows my country to come to the States for (at that time) 4 months without a visa. So she stayed her for 4 months and went home. The HS however told us that they do not check on an applicants status (American or Otherwise) so if we had wanted the "scam" the system she could have gone to an American HS for a year. Sign an affidavid that you you support her and we would have been fine. Is it that easy to scam?

November 26, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MexiCan

Illegal Immigrants did not make the law of the land your government that you put in power did. You keep saying that illegal immigrants are criminal if that was true I would be in jail. Most of the people in jail are blacks so maybe the are the illegal immigrants. Most immigrants come here to do a job that you do not want to do I do not see much American working where I work and the resaon for that is that you do not want to do the job because it is beneath you. Like I said before if it is OK with the government that you put in power that speak for the people of this country then what is the problem. They know you want us here and you need us here. The only different is they know that and you do not.

November 26, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • DAVID BURLESON

All illegals are criminals,and all of the illegals need to be deported.All of the people who hire illegals need to be fined,and forbidden from running any business for 5 years.No illegal is obeying the law,which is why they are criminals,understand?.

November 26, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • ka

@David: actually, technically speaking the companies and illegals are equally criminal in their conduct

November 26, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Malby4

We neither need nor want illegals here. Big corporations benefit from illegals, not the average taxpayer. Are you complaining that there's no enforcement? Because I'm complaining with you, then. Look at Meg Whitman: she hired an employment agency to vet her employees, and paid the nanny $23 per hour, but got hung out to dry anyway because the nanny lied. Yet the nanny gets to play victim. Give me a break. Happily, Congress is like a herd of cats and the Dream Act will die. BTW, free education for their kids is a principal motivator for illegal immigrants. So the DREAM Act is just what we need–another motivator for illegal immigration.

November 26, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • peggy357

Again with the ignorance!! The US prison system is populated by people who have broken the law. The ethnic makeup of the inmates is reflective of the surrounding population. As for Americans being lazy, you are making an assumption based upon your ignorance. Millions of Americans do the 'work' you claim that only the immigrants will perform. I have big news for you, you nitwit, I and my neighbors do our own cooking, yardwork, housecleaning, and home maintainance. Some of us even grow and maintain our own gardens for fruits and vegtables!! Are you suprised? Don't be. These are a few examples of the mundane work you claim only an illegal would do. Every society has a wealthy few who choose to hire out to get those tasks accomplished. Those few are not representative of the real America. Please stop demonstrating your ignorance and stupidity.

November 26, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tom

Wake up America! What does everyone think will happen if we start handing out any kind of amnesty or pardons for those being here illegally? That everyone who wants to cross illegally will just say "Good for them!" or will they start packing immediately to come to the U.S. and DEMAND the same thing?

We have an illegal problem because there is basically no downside for them being here, even if caught. I would stay illegally also. The other part is for government to unite to remove the illegals, instead rewarding them for breaking our laws. How can someone show they want to be a good citizen, when they are already breaking laws??!!?? The last part is to heavily fine businesses that hire them.

November 26, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • ka

Why don't you start with reforms that makes it impossible for illegals to get any papers and most importantly make it impossible for companies to hire illegals.
      Start at the root of the problem

November 26, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

I agree. There are many facets to this problem that need to be addressed. None of them will be easy, but the necessary things seldom are.

November 26, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. MexiCan

Also if I was a criminal they would not give me a drivers license Instead I get food stamps, government health care for me and my family, student loans that I do not have to pay back, Credit Cards and Government Aid. So tell me would a government give a criminal all that. I get treated here like royalty. I do not know why you complain when you have all this and more.

November 26, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • ka

You know there are millions of Americans who are legal in this country but do not have health insurance and therefore put a burden on the taxpayer.

November 26, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • DAVID BURLESON

If you are an illegal,then you are a criminal,and have no right to be here.Simple.Got it?get it?good.

November 26, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |