November 27th, 2010

Report: U.S., South Korea begin war exercises

[Updated at 10:35 p.m.] North Korea deployed surface-to-air missiles to near its Yellow Sea border with South Korea days before joint U.S. war exercises with the South were set to get under way on Sunday, South Korea's official Yonhap news agency reported, citing unnamed government sources.

"[North Korea's missiles] appear to be targeting our fighter jets that fly near" North Korea's Yellow Sea border with South Korea, the source said, according to Yonhap.

South Korea and the United States began assembling ships for joint war exercises Sunday off the west coast of the Korean peninsula in the Yellow Sea, a source at the South Korean Joint Chiefs told CNN.

FULL STORY

[Original post, 7:51 p.m.] South Korea and the United States have begun war exercises off the west coast of the Korean peninsula, according to South Korea's official news agency Yonhap.

"The drills started around 6 a.m. Sunday with the USS George Washington joining our warships in the Yellow Sea," an official at the South's Joint Chiefs of Staff told Yonhap.

North Korea had warned of unpredictable "consequences" if the United States fulfilled its vow of deploying the aircraft carrier USS George Washington to the Yellow Sea for joint military maneuvers with South Korea.

Earlier this week, North Korea shelled Yeonpyeong Island, killing four South Koreans. North Korea said the South provoked the Tuesday attack because shells from a South Korean military drill landed in the North's waters. South Korea was holding its annual Hoguk military drill when the North started its shelling, and the South returned fire.

The U.S.-South Korean exercises were planned months ago and are meant to underscore strong ties between South Korea and the United States, defense officials from both countries have said.

Post by:
Filed under: North Korea • South Korea
  1. rekojothtaed

I completely agree about the U.S. playing nuke police. We were the first and only nation to use nukes as a mass casualty weapon. I wouldn't be opposed to NK or Iran having them if their leadership changed into something more mentally stable. I also support a nation's right to be self reliant on nuclear power. The U.S. Does a lot of butting in and micro-managing. It shows how backwards this world is. Everyone is playing opposite day here.

November 28, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. phil@guest

Personal insults handed out during a debate are nothing more than an admission of defeat...so be nice and maybe we can get somewhere with this.

November 28, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  3. panama kid

The ukraine or russia supplys north korea with uranium who do u think.built ther nuke pogram I been knowing that for years

November 28, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. webcam on Dr. Bad

Now he's playing with his mom's dolls. He has a Frankenstein doll that he's named "Phil the prominant Jew" He's wearing a nurses uniform he got from his mom's closet. Zooming in....the uniforms nametag says "Deborah". I guess that's his mom's name. He's going over to the cot in the corner of his mom's bedroom now and laying down. He has a Barbi doll head and is muttering something to himself as he fondles it as if it were a rossary bead.

November 28, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. MonopolyMan

It's all about stuff. Who's got more stuff! Dumb.

November 28, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. Protoman

Anyone remember when Phil Hartman used to play Frankenstein on SNL? That visual just popped into my head.

November 28, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. Avon Barksdale

Dr Bad im gonna say the same thing to you as I sad to 'Paulie' yesterday. (Paulie was the guy who posted over 100 crazed comments after President Obama got hit on his lip while playing basketball Friday. Paulie was/is furious that the president took Friday off-saying Obama should work 24/7 round the clock with no break). Go for a walk, watch Da Bears! vs the Eagles game later today like me. Read a book, even better make love to your wife or your gilfriend. I doubt you've ever had either so go have some fun with your blowup girlfriend Mrs Bad. I JUST WANT YOU TO BE HAPPY. I wish I could give u a hug because it seems like you need some HUMAN CONTACT. Im assuming you have a HEART. Years ago you were little dr bad with a mom and dad. Hopefully, u have family, friends or someone, somewhere in this world who LOVE and care about you. I dont want my prediction come true. WE ALL LOVE YOU DR BAD.

November 28, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  8. tomcat

I would check on some African countries as possible suppliers too.

November 28, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. phil

Tomcat...who knows? I just found it odd that everyone is concerned about Iran's uranium but not NK's. Personally I believe NK is little more than a huge crowd-control experiment being monitored by the world's governments for future reference. There is nothing carefully concealed that does not eventually get revealed. When enough people figure out how crooked their governments really are, NK-like strategies would need to be employed to maintain control over the masses.

November 28, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dr.Bad'sInnerChild

I do.... I do need a hug.(Soft music playing) It all started when I had a crush on this Jewish girl. Well let me tell you her parents wouldn't have anything to do with it. I bought her flowers and even wrote her a poem I keep in my pocket to this day. Ever since she moved away I've never been happy. ::(

November 28, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ***dude***

Wow! U guys could write movie scripts!
    🙂

November 28, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Avon Barksdale

You know what I was thinking this morning as I watched tv and read all the headlines about Us & North Korea? Were really gonna do it! I'M ACTUALLY GONNA BE ALIVE TO SEE WORLD WAR 3! WERE GONNA REALLY DESTROY OURSELVES! IT'S NOT A MOVIE THIS TIME! IT'S NOT A TEST! THIS – IS – THE – REAL – THING! As a kid I always thought that this would never happen. I thought to myself: Human's would never DESTROY ALL OF MANKIND. Thats make believe, something in a 1950's movie. I thought to myself: we'll go to war @ the most but not the REAL WAR with nuclear bombs. Were too smart to end it like this. Turns out I WAS WRONG. Even if we get out of this mess with North Korea it wont be long before we go to war with another country and drop THE BOMB. Sadly, it seems that in our PURSUIT OF PERFECTION AND WORLD DOMINATION we have become less than human. It appears that all the predictions made about us in the past are about to come true. WHAT A SAD AND HORRIBLE WAY FOR MANKIND TO END.

November 28, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • World Economics

By World War 3 you mean the world vs North Korea? I seriously doubt China is going to back North Korea if war breaks out. The North is nothing but an economic nightmare with a leader stuck in a post WW2 where military might was considered power. It's all about being an economic power. It would be suicide for China to support the North when China exports most of its produced goods to the very countries they would be fighting. It just doesn't make sense from a global economics standpoint to protect a government that has by most definitions has just made an act of ware against its neighbor by attacking its soldiers and citizens.

November 28, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ancient Texan

At least showing that there is a possibility that we still have a spine isn't a bad thing. NK has pulled this stunt time and time again, and we've always given into some kind of farce agreement that sees NK getting all kinds of aid at our expense and going it's way, still doing exactly what it was before the agreement. China will rein in North Korea prior to the BOMB, simply because it would be for it's own good.

November 28, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Avon Barksdale

***dude*** It's very funy that you mentioned that because I majored in Film in college. I've written many scripts but the greatest thing I have ever done in my life is write a book called 'THE LAST GREAT ME'®. My book is almost complete.

November 28, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. duke

You people are nuts!
    North Korea is to china,what Iran is to Russia,is what Israel is too America..

November 28, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |