November 28th, 2010

Actor Leslie Nielsen dies of complications from pneumonia

Actor Leslie Nielsen, best known for his film roles in "Airplane!" and "The Naked Gun" series, died Sunday of complications from pneumonia, his family said.

Nielsen died in a hospital near his home in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, surrounded by his wife and friends. He was 84.

"In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations in his name to the charity of your choice," the family said in a statement.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Lex

I loved him in every role he played. He was a hilarious man and I am bummed after hearing the news. RIP, you're a legend.

November 28, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sid

Can't believe he is gone....God bless his souls

November 28, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kathy

My heart sank when I saw the headline just now. What a loss. I just loved the guy. So many great films, so many laughs. Keep 'em laughing in heaven. "Shirley" he will be missed here on earth.

November 28, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. AnaHadWolves

Aww, darn! One of the greatest comedic geniuses who could deliver a devastatingly funny line with ease has died. With the great deep voice, that straight face, that delivery and that timing, Leslie was the best. Sympathy to his family. However, the one bright spot is that I have his movies on DVD and his wit will live on! Bless you, Leslie!

November 28, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Fan

Godspeed funny man. RIP

November 28, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rudedog

He gave me soooo many laughs.
    Thanks Leslie, I will never forget you!

November 28, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sue

Yes, he was funny.
    But he will always be the Swamp Fox to me. Loved his roll in the Disney series with I was a kid.

November 28, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. gabe

a great Canadian comedian gone and never forgotten. See you later Frank Drebben you made all of us.

November 28, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Brunoburz

Hey CNN, you have Leslie Nielsen's name spelled wrong on your home page. Duh.

November 28, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ken

God bless you Leslie. You were a great man and very giving to share your view of the world, and give us all many laughs. We need more people like you to show us how to laugh at ourselves and enjoy this life. Thank you!

November 28, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rich

God gives us gifts like Les for just awhile; today he brought him home – the world grew a bit more quiet, lost a bit of its shine, and forgot how to laugh – even if but for a moment. You were one heck of a guy Leslie – none can fill the shoes you've left behind... You were a classic, your work remains behind – to stand as a reminder of all the joy you brought to so many people. Rest in peace sweet laugh-maker.

November 28, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. yeah

Well, now I'm really curious.

Just what did Elizabeth say in her comment?

It seems to have been deleted! Please, someone, tell me what it was so I can make a joke about it in Leslie's honor!

November 28, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Naked Gunner

Her comment was "I'm glad he's dead"

November 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. max

Rest in peace Leslie ...see you on the other side

November 28, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mel G

I may be showing my age, but I first remember seeing him in The Swamp Fox in one of the Disney shows back in the 50's

November 28, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jorge Pantoja

A very funny guy that will be missed; RIP.

November 28, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |