November 28th, 2010

Actor Leslie Nielsen dies of complications from pneumonia

Actor Leslie Nielsen, best known for his film roles in "Airplane!" and "The Naked Gun" series, died Sunday of complications from pneumonia, his family said.

Nielsen died in a hospital near his home in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, surrounded by his wife and friends. He was 84.

"In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations in his name to the charity of your choice," the family said in a statement.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz
  1. Twittenup

I didn't know he was that old, even though I remember him in serious rolls in war or detective movies. He also showed a subdued humor in "Rent A Kid", and exhibited his original comedic role in the "Naked Gun" movie series. I, for one, will miss the side-splitting laughs he could induce in me with just the right facial moves on his part. Thanks for all the memories, Leslie!

November 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kelvin

A great Canadian, thank you for all the laughs

November 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. The Dude

Tragic Death due to a naked Bomb explosion.

RIP Buddy, thanks for the laughs!

November 28, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Dude?

Is this the dude from WM LA?

November 28, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. beananzi

Surely you can't be serious!

November 28, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

November 28, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dgbg

I loved Leslie Nielsen when I first saw him as the heart throb, Peter Brent, in "Tammy and the Bachelor" waaaaay back in 1957! He excelled in every part he ever played and I adored him Rest in peace, dear man and condolences to your family and legions of fans!

November 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Galen Jaskowiak

Leslie Nielson was one of my favorite actors, but not because of Airplane and his later work. I fell in love with him on the Disney 3-parter where he played Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox of the Revolutionary War. My interest in American history began because of that show. I wonder how many other young Patriots found their footing because of him.

November 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jason

You ever seen a grown man naked?

November 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Terri

I with a lot of the other comments. He made me laugh. He was just a good person who knew how to make people laugh. RIP.

November 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. osobien

From the first time starring in "Swamp Fox" through out your career, I have always admired and respected you (not to mention laugh my a__ off), RIP Leslie Nielson.

November 28, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rene'

I first saw him on Walt Disney's – Swamp Fox. RIP Leslie.

November 28, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Frank

He had an amazing career for a legally-deaf individual. Thank you Leslie for your perseverance and courage.

November 28, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. MomCarr

Funny man. His straight faced humor was great. Airplane still makes me laugh. I introduced my son to his humor. Mr. Nielsen will be missed by us both. Thank you for making us laugh. Our thoughts are with your family.

November 28, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Big Al

It's the strangest thing. This very talented man – who made is name in tough guy roles – ended up better know for his comedy than anything else. "Airplane!" was his first ever comedy role and part of the toungue in cheek humor of casing him in it was that everything he'd done before that was serious drama. Go figure!

November 28, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MXD

We all knew that "Airplane" is a spoof of other, "serious" airplane movies. But you'll be amazed at how close it is to "Zero Hour". Google "I remember I had the lasagna" and you should see the first link – it shows a vid of clips of both movies. You'll be amazed – and laugh your a$#$ off!

November 28, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ndagi

Rest in peace les! You'll be missed terribly!

November 28, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. anonymous..

i love him so much i cant stop crying right now

November 28, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |