November 28th, 2010

Man falls to death at Chicago's Soldier Field

Police in Chicago, Illinois, are investigating the death of a man who fell from the upper level of Soldier Field, home of the Chicago Bears, to the ground outside the stadium, police said.

The incident happened around 5 p.m. Sunday while the Bears were playing the Philadelphia Eagles, said Veejay Zala of the Chicago Police Department. The 27-year-old man was pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital at 5:27 p.m.

The man's name was not immediately released.

In July, a fan trying to catch a foul ball at a Texas Rangers game in Arlington, Texas, fell 30 feet, injuring himself and four others. Tyler Morris tumbled over the railing on the club level of the stadium, hit the railing on the suite level and then landed on the lower deck. His injuries were not life-threatening.

Post by:
Filed under: Illinois • Sports
  1. random chicagoan

I've lived in Chicago for five years. It is the only placed I've been to where it is considered the norm to get drunk before noon.

November 28, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • cul8rv8

you've obviously never been to Vegas... There's nothing like no last call....

November 28, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • scubz

yeah, but thats 1PM Eastern

November 28, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mkematt

Then you haven't been north to WI.

November 28, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ty

Never been to Pittsburgh, huh?

November 28, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheech

it is the norm in nawlins

November 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobert

It's definitely the norm at Beaver Stadium on a home football Saturday.

November 28, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Al

You obviously didn't go to college in the U.S.

November 28, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • ZJ

Then you obviously have never been to my house.

November 28, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • CHICAGO

I think he means, the only place IN CHICAGO where it's the norm to be drunk before noon...

November 28, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Butterfly417

Only place in Chicago where it's the norm to be drunk before noon? Have you never been to North Avenue Beach or boating in the summer? Or to Wrigley Field? Or bars?

November 28, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • zack

you haven't been to a college town on gameday then

November 28, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • larrylegend33

You obviously don't get out much.

November 28, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

Then you obviously haven't gone to church on Sunday morning lately. I hit all 8 communion lines about 10 times each at the 8am mass, and I clean em out of their wine. I'm usually slurring the closing processional song. Then I do it all again at the 10am mass. Aw yeah.

November 29, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
    • mind

its just norm to get drunk all the time in america

November 29, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
    • AstoriaJerry

It is Always Noon somewhere. West Coast has football at 10:00 AM. You think we aren't drinking while watching?

November 29, 2010 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Pat

A man has tragically died and you all think it's appropriate to make a joke out of it? Pathetic.

November 29, 2010 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Lol@theworld

You obviously have not been to big D.

November 29, 2010 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Tim

I've lived in chicago for more than forty years of my life and it has never been considered normal to get drunk before noon. I don't understand why people so blaitently lie.

November 29, 2010 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
    • pizzazz

Alcohol has become the medication of choice for many Americans. You can guise its use under the umbrella having fun, but in the end, many will suffer from it. They will suffer financially, emotionally, and physically. Understanding the problems with drinking excessively and changing one's habit becomes a test of personal power.

November 29, 2010 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
    • notalech

don't forget vegas! Oh wait, the drunks are 24/7 just like the bars

November 30, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hugh Jass

On a related note... Leslie Nielsen just passed away. Is the state of Nevada going to let O.J. go to his funeral?

"Surely, you must be joking."
    "I'm not joking... and stop calling me, 'Shirley.'"

I feel horrible for the 27-year-old who fell to his death at Soldier Field. Hope his friends and family can find a way to pull through this unimaginable tragedy.

November 28, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. NewsOrGossip

Witnesses say that he jumped per the Chicago news: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2010/11/28/man-falls-to-his-death-during-bears-game/

November 28, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • R.E. Tard

Hey Richard: great minds think alike!! Looks like you beat me to the quip! Well done.

November 29, 2010 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. maggue ryan

I have a handicapped grandson and I find your use of the term retarded unacceptable. Try expanding your vocabulary and realizing that there are human beings on this earth that are less fortunate. But they are valued and loved.

November 28, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • WordInsurance

Actually, retarded isn't a word designated solely to handicapped people, and is used by people whose vocabulary isn't retarded, in regards to things not necessarily affiliated with retarded people..

November 28, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

I retarded the spark on my car, but I had to stop because it was "advance challenged." Just illustrating the stupidity of non-descriptive language when dealing with anything.

November 28, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • fooktard

Dude, that's retarded.

November 29, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • jen

Stop being so sensitive. The writer certainly wasn't referring to special-needs people.

November 29, 2010 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
    • R.E. Tard

The spark on my '67 Firebird is retarded.... do you find that offensive, too? Would you be more offended if I told you that I retarded the spark on purpose??!?! Dude, get a life!

November 29, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Eh?

Had your grandson not been handicapped, would you still feel offended by the word "retarded"?

November 29, 2010 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. Port City Slim

THERE IS A TIME TO JOKE AND THERE IS A TIME TO BE SERIOUS. SOME PEOPLE HAVE A PROBLEM TELLING TIME. FRANK HOW ASSININE CAN YOU BE?

November 28, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. p

Darwin wins again!

November 28, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Boris

My little sister is also mentally handicapped and I don't find the word "retarded" offensive, even when used in jest. Should I? Maybe I'm a bad sibling. Come to think of it, it doesn't bother my sister either.

November 28, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Protoman

I think calling a mentally challenged person retarded in a derogatory manner is mean and I would never do it. I use the term for people who can and should be smarter, but choose not to be. I can see how some might get offended. I honestly envy the mentally challenged sometimes. They are always happy when I see them. I wish I could be that happy all the time.

November 28, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Al

You don't get out much do you?

November 28, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. guy

people trip when its not their Family--that jump--w-folks way of fun.

November 28, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lean6

Duh Bears!

November 28, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Steve M

I'll bet on the way down that guy was thinking, "I wish I'd been a little more careful!"

November 28, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Orchid

What a tragedy. God be with his family and friends as they try to make sense of his sudden and unexpected passing.

November 28, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Linda

People someone died here and its sad u need to think about that instead of petty stuff

November 28, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve M

I've never plummeted to my death, but I've played football once without a cup, and that was a mistake!

November 28, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Chops

Gravity is so over rated.

November 28, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • mmi16

Gravity isn't over rated....It's the LAW!

November 29, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Stosh

Let's face it – gravity sucks.

November 29, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |