November 28th, 2010

Stranger saves Christmas for woman whose gifts were stolen

A Black Friday theft has led to an act of kindness from a stranger, giving true meaning to the phrase "holiday spirit."

Kerry Ann Brown and her friends were the first people to enter a West Palm Beach, Florida, Best Buy electronics store on Black Friday, after camping out since Wednesday, CNN affiliate WPBF reported. She put her merchandise in her car, went to a nearby JC Penney, and when she returned, her car had been broken into and $1,000 worth of merchandise was gone.

Brown told WPBF that among the stolen goods were three computers that she was going to send to relatives in Jamaica.

A small business owner man in New York saw the story on CNN.com and decided to step up.

Alan Howard, who owns Plesser's Appliances in Babylon, New York, said he would replace $1,000 worth of merchanside.

Through WPBF, Howard contacted Brown and told her he wanted to give her a gift certificate.

"I don't have words to comprehend how I'm feeling right now," Brown told Howard in a telephone call Saturday. "I'm awestruck, thank you. I didn't know people were like that in the world."

"There's still some good in the world," Howard said.

Post by:
Filed under: Holidays
  1. Sam

I still can't get past the fact they she camped out for 2 days just to get stuff on sale. It is a shame that Christmas is all about buying "stuff". My family gathers for Christmas and we do exchange token gifts, but it is more about taking time off from the daily grind and spending the time together.

November 29, 2010 at 5:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joe, LA, CA

but it happens a thousand times a day.. is he going to help them too?

November 29, 2010 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. Have a good!

i miss 314swfl144's commentary. good stuff.

November 29, 2010 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
  4. DINAH

I live in WPB also. Wish I had $1000 to spend on Christmas gifts too!

November 29, 2010 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. Daryl

I was a cop for 26 years. Don't believe it for a minute. This is an ever-changing world we live in and don't think for an instant that some folks won't stoop to an all new low to influence others. If they'll look closer, they'll find that the car was broken into by an acquaintance of the victim. It's not as uncommon as one might think to try and seek ways to double your money by attempting to attact benefactors to a bad-luck story. And the benefactors always come through.

November 29, 2010 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
    • John B

You're an idiot. If you were a cop, you probably planted evidence because you sucked at your job, or hated black people.

I think I speak for the entire civilian population when I say,"Thank you for no longer being a cop."

November 29, 2010 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
    • eouhcee

Yep, there's no end to the gullible white folks out there.

November 29, 2010 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
    • hobart

@eouhcee And there's no end to the loathsome bigotry that you'll post.

November 29, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Bengus81

Sure thing Dayrl,this is the FIRST time I've ever heard of a car being broken into at a Mall near Christmas. No wonder your no longer a cop. FIRED would be my guess.

November 29, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jane

I need an operation I can't afford, but it's good to know some folks in Jamaica have new computers.

November 29, 2010 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
    • John B

You expect this woman to pay for you operation? What the hell does your inability to save money or get insurance have to do with this woman wanting to send gift to her family in Jamaica?

Look like you have enough money to surf the internet though.

November 29, 2010 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Bengus81

Don't worry,John B0ner and Mitch McConnell are going to see to it that you can NEVER afford health insurance let alone and operation.

November 29, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jan

$1,000 spent on gifts for relatives, that clearly could have been used for basic necessary living expenses. Sorry, but I highly doubt this woman should be spending that amount of money or using her credit card which is even worse. I don't think she had an extra $1,000 lying around, watch the video. Plus, camping out for TWO days, waiting for the store to open for the sale? Really pathetic. Instead of worrying about retail stores and spending money she doesn't have, she should focus on taking care of her home and kids and spending on necessities only. On top of it, possible she's on food stamps and welfare, so ALL of us are taking care of her and her family, while she's spending what she doesn't have.

November 29, 2010 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
    • jc

Second that.

November 29, 2010 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Big Game James

Are you guys just dumb or were you born that way. Every time I see a toothless white person I don't assume he or she is a inbred hillbilly, so why is it when some of you see a minority holding a child she is automatically on welfare. Again for the gazillionth time: THERE ARE MORE WHITE PEOPLE ON WELFARE THAN ANYBODY ELSE!!!

November 29, 2010 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
    • David

I am so with you on this one. Woman stuffs $1000 in her trunk and goes for more etc. Then someone decides that she needs replacements and does his thing. Unbelievable, there are people who don't have jobs, people who want to work, homeless people and this woman is spending thousands and says that her Xmas is saved! Good grief! Sorry something is wrong here!

November 29, 2010 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • hobart

@Jan How fortunate we are to have someone with your divine insight to tell us right from wrong. Whatever would we do without you telling us how to celebrate Christmas with our own families, and what gifts we should buy them?

November 29, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  8. eouhcee

Looking at her and her house I'd say she stole that thousand dollars in the first place.

November 29, 2010 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Big Game James

You saw a couch and a wall. So their passing out psychic abilities along with the hoods and sheets now.

November 29, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
    • hobart

So full of hatred are you that you have to post it over and over and over. Spending Christmas alone, are you?

November 29, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. BossMan114

Better off not buying any gifts. Why make corporate American rich when they send our jobs overseas?
    Make up a nice card or a home made gift instead. I don't buy any gifts for anyone but then again I don't expect any from anyone else. My life is just fine without it and I am not helping perpetuate the Big Corporate Machine's effort to send everything overseas and low my standard of living. Wake up People.

November 29, 2010 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  10. eouhcee

Notice how the story claims she worked so hard to buy those items but yet it doesn't say what type of work she does or where she works like you'd normally see in a news story. What most likely happened is she stole that grand from someone and when they heard she stood in line through the holiday to buy stuff they knew it was their grand she stole and so they went and took it back from her car. This is a far more likely scenario than her actually going to work and earning the money. No, that didn't happen. Just look at her and her house, typical black welfare mamma. They even had to send a black reporter into the hood to find her.

November 29, 2010 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Big Game James

If you have such a problem with it, why don't you go to your nearest hood and stand on the corner and voice your opinions LOUDLY!!!! How's that work for ya!! TOOL!!!

November 29, 2010 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
    • hobart

The only thing likely is here is your hatred for black folks. Sorry you are so unable to enjoy the holiday spirit. Get a life.

November 29, 2010 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Suzy

oh pleeeez..Allot of People save all year long just for Black Friday so that they can buy stuff they want at a cheaper price.

November 29, 2010 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
    • eouhcee

@Suzy you can't save what you don't have.

November 29, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • hobart

@eouhcee Sorry bigot, but even hard working, minimum wage, poor folks have families, celebrate Christmas, and know the value of a dollar, and are more than capable of saving $20 a week. Your hatred and bile are truly loathsome.

November 29, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • eouhcee

@hobart LOL I'd bet anything this woman has never worked a day in her life!!

November 29, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • eouhcee

@Big Game James good job proving it's just like a black to threaten violence! Of course I wouldn't go out provoking blacks, same as I wouldn't go out provoking a wild bear or ape. Duh.

November 29, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • hobart

@ eouhcee Spending Christmas alone, are you?

November 29, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  11. Willy Brown

Well ain't that just spiffy.

November 29, 2010 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  12. guy

Now if we ALL helped someone every day like that....what a difference it would make...by starting to help others instead of.thinking it's all about ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 29, 2010 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. Chris Christian

I say good job to the thieves. These people camping out and acting like animals to shop is beyond me. For people to camp out in front of a store a day or 2 in advance deserve to get stolen from. Some of these videos I've seen showing people getting trampled is the most ridiculous thing I have seen in my life. What a spoiled nation we are.

November 29, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • hobart

How sad that you hatred blinds you to the spirit of the season. Get a life, jerk.

November 29, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  14. mixx

And to point of this story is to...get us to donate some more $$$ to her? Please, I wouldn't even give her a penny.

November 29, 2010 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. yankee fan

This woman doesn't seem too bright, and I agree with the posters who doubt the veracity of her story. There are people who lurk in parking lots watching for idiots like her. When I make purchases and want to bring them to my car, I then get in my car and drive around to another part of the mall. If there is someone watching, they'll think I'm leaving. Many years ago a similar incident happened to someone I know. It is foolish to drop your merchandise off in your car and then go back in. (It's also foolish to camp out since Wednesday to shop on Friday.)

November 29, 2010 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
    • hobart

Do you also think that the news agency is too stupid to corroborate the woman's story with the store, and with the police?

Admit it, you just hate it when folks are nice to one another just out of the goodness of their hearts.

November 29, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
    • eouhcee

This only happens in black hoods. I live in a nice white area and I went shopping at 5am on black friday. I went down to the mall a bit later and parked next to a truck with one window down and doors unlocked and full of stuff they'd just bought at walmart, best buy and others. When I came out of the mall the truck was still there and all their stuff was still in the truck in a mall parking lot with lots of people coming and going. It's not about what you do, it's about the people that are around. In white areas people don't steal your stuff. When blacks are around you have to watch your every move and keep your stuff out of sight. It's just in their genetics to rob.

November 29, 2010 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • hobart

@ eouhcee

Yes it does happen in Malls outside of Black neighborhoods, and the Mall in this story is not in a Black neighborhood. Do you lie with every breath?

November 29, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |