Neighbor: Bomb suspect from 'very nice', had 'normal' family
November 29th, 2010

Neighbor: Bomb suspect from 'very nice', had 'normal' family

Mohamed Osman Mohamud, who was arrested on Friday night for allegedly attempting to detonate a bomb at a Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Oregon, is due in federal court Monday to answer to charges of attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction.

As of a year ago, the 19-year-old naturalized U.S. citizen from Somalia lived with his family in Beaverton, Oregon, across the street from Stephanie Napier.

Napier spoke with John Roberts on American Morning Monday morning to describe her impression of the Mohamud family.

Post by:
Filed under: Oregon • Terrorism
  1. Nexus

The Israelis can help

Israel should tear down that muslim temple in Jerusalem. Its in their country anyway.....and make it a Jewish cultural center.....LOL

November 29, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Homer Simpson

my beliefs are live and let live, love everyone, i dont give a shi.t if you have respect for me! I believe in the near future we will see our enemy become more aggresive toward us, think the mosque at ground zero is a good idea, they take advantage of us and our p.c. Stance, they love how easy it is to cry p.c. And get the world to watch, only their countries laugh at us, they would never tolerate the things they demand here, pardon my french but fuk them all

November 29, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Softship

You certainly do a good job of camouflaging your "live and let live, love everyone" belief. Your language is disgusting. So no, I will not pardon it. Why should I?
      I agree that in the near future we will see our enemies become more aggressive towards us if we do not stop the hatred we are spewing.
      Personally, I think the Islamic Center at Ground Zero is a horrible idea, but I also think that America is all about religious freedom, and hence they should have the RIGHT to build it.
      If you would look around, especially in African countries which are systematically exploited by American enterprises, you will find that Americans do things there that we would never tolerate at home.
      Have you never thought about the cause of the hatred? Then try informing yourself.
      I am not justifying any acts of terror – I expressly condemn them. I am just pleading with everybody to stop the upward spiral of hatred. It is bad for everybody.

November 29, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Homer Simpson

i only dislike religion that says i must die because we dont agree, no more or less, im more an athiest than christian, dont dislike religion, its a good thing, for the most part anyway, if i spent as much time in muslim communities i would not fear nra members, i dont own any weapons violence is for losers who cant agree to disagree

November 29, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Softship

Isn't that somewhat of a paradox? On one hand you dislike a religion that says you must die because you don't agree (which obviously most Muslims do not believe), but on the other hand you spew hatred on the basis of other people's religion.

Though I am of Jewish decent, I am also an atheist. And I do dislike religion, because I think it misleads people into doing horrible things to other people who believe differently. It wasn't all that long ago that Christians were murdering other people for not being Christians. Relative to the thousand of years that mankind has had religions, the few years between the systematic murder of Jews or even the Spanish Inquisition, and today is not enough time for us "westerners" to feel very superior to members of other religions who are still more intolerant.

I have spent time with Muslims in various countries, and I have never had reason to feel afraid. I have felt more afraid in the US after dark than I have felt in many other places. The murder rate (by gun) is much higher in the US than elsewhere. Thanks to the NRA (among others) for instilling so much fear in the American public!

But congratulations for not owning a gun – you're right, they're for losers.

So maybe you and I should also simply agree to disagree.

November 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. purtbrwowniz

Wow.. cant we just be happy that one deranged person regardless of his religion or belief race or creed is no longer in a postion to harm anyone?! you fault them for their hate but blast anyone unlike you with you own hatred. some might say youre the coward because you wont stand up face first in your bigotry. my father fought for this country and some of you want to say hes just as bad as a man who kills innocent people? your kids dont tote guns and shoot them at soldiers sent to potect them. thanks.

November 29, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Softship

Whom are you addressing?

Of course I am happy that a deranged person was prevented from harming people.

However – as far as your father is concerned – what does it mean when you say that your father fought for this country? Why was this country fighting the war in which he fought? To protect "national interests"? But what does that mean? Do you really think that (for example) the war in Iraq protected "national interests"? If yes, in which way?
      Do you think that soldiers only kill other soldiers? Don't you know that American soldiers have also been known to kill innocent people?What is the difference between innocent Americans and innocent Iraqis? Or Afghans? Or Vietnamese?

I deplore all killing of innocent people. I even deplore the killing of "un-innocent" people.

Please stop the spiral of hatred.

November 29, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Modern Family

Let his "nice" family along with the Imam from his mosque and all his fellow mosque members accompany his body back to Somalia after his execution. Make sure they pay for the bullets before they leave, have one-way tickets and no return visas.

November 29, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sgt. Slaughter

@ softsh_t

You are a perfect example of why there are friendly fire accidents

November 29, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Softship

Obviously you are a perfect example of why there are wars. You chose to be insulting, to not discuss an issue, to just "fire".

November 30, 2010 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. purtbrwowniz

you have no right to say the things you are saying about national heroes.. i guess you would have had my father lay down his gun and his life so you can feel politically right?! if it wasnt for my father and these heroic troops that we forget about everyday you would be able to praddle your little empty head on this site. you are so rightous! im sure id we dropped you off in a jungle with people trying to kill you and your way of living you would "talk" to them.. suck eggs sweetie

November 29, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Softship

I have every right in the world to raise a question. Or to you think you have the right to deprive me of my rights? If that is the case, what do you think the "national heroes" are "protecting"? Ah yes, big business... see what I mean?
      Believe me, though I would love your father to lay down his gun, I definitely do not want your father to lay down his life for anybody, and certainly not for American big business. That is the point.
      (Are you gay? Or why are you addressing me as "sweetie"?)

November 30, 2010 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  8. purtbrwowniz

You are just an idealist with no true beliefs.. you promot non hatred with no real honor or strong stance on anything or situation. you dont stand for anything but discontent. where is your pride in self? in anything?! talk about my father and those who stand for something great then you can comprehend when you get your "ship" together. because sweetie.. you are lacking some where. how can you tell me im wrong when you cant tell me youre right?

November 29, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Softship

You're tight that I'm an idealist, but you're wring that I have no true beliefs. My beliefs happen to be different than yours. That is why you cannot recognize my real honor and strong stance. Why do you think I lack pride in myself? Believe me, if I had neither honor nor stance nor pride, you can be sure that I would not speak out against the mainstream.
      However, I find i quite telling that you choose to "attack" me personally instead of writing one single fact which refutes anything that I wrote.
      You're are right, I an lacking somewhere. I am lacking the desire to kill others to promote my own interests.
      I would still like to know what the difference is between innocent civilian Americans, innocent civilian Vietnamese, innocent civilian Iraqis, innocent civilian Afghans. Except that they lie in different countries. What makes it right to kill innocent civilians anywhere?
      Instead of attempting to be insulting, why don't you try discussion of the issues at hand?

November 30, 2010 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Softship

Oops.... "You're tight..." Should be "You're right...", of course.

November 30, 2010 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  9. InfidelHere

Which is why we are forced into a position of NEVER trusting "good" Muslims, because those that follow the life and misdeeds of their terrorist prophet and all of the hate found in the Koran can "blow up" at anytime.

Our self disception and PC culture will eventually KILL us. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!

November 30, 2010 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Softship

And of course the Muslims use the same arguments as you do... why should they trust any "good" Christians? Christians have also caused, and will cause, a lot of bloodshed.

As fas as the "PC culture" is concerned – I find it deplorable that it has become "PC" to spew hatred against Muslims despite it being obvious that only a tiny minority is in fact terrorist (which I also condemn!).

November 30, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joker7

Sofship your thoughts are Utopian and are about as far removed from the reality of the real world as the Wizard of Oz. The reality of the FBI sting is that it will cast doubt in the mind of any future homegrown terrorist who could be better resourced and actually do harm to hundreds of Americans. This is one in a million engagements in a war to defeat an enemy that seeks to harm national interests. Yes I speak of national interests; the same national interests that keep gas prices low and orange juice in the refrigerator. I am an American and I can say that my children’s children have benefitted from being the predominant world power and I can say this was from sacrifice of my ancestors; who acted in their national interests and sometimes paid with their lives. You enjoy the benefits of National Interests but condemn the method of delivery. Like the guy that talks about how cruel a slaughter house is at an afternoon barbeque; eat your Dolphin safe Tuna and put some soy in your burger and feel good about yourself.

November 30, 2010 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Softship

You may be right that my thoughts are utopian, but that does not mean that they are wrong.

To make my stance perfectly clear: of course, I applaud that this misguided young man was not able to commit the multiple murders and maiming that he was allegedly plotting.

I imagine you haven't gotten to know many other countries and their cultures. I don't know exactly what you mean when you say that your children's children have benefitted from being the predominant world power. Do you think they're much better off than people of the same age in Europe? Why? Because they have cheap gas and orange juice in the refrigerator? Yes, gas is a lot more expensive in other countries – so what? People can still pay for it – and don't waste quite as much of it. Orange juice in the refrigerator? Is that a reason to kill hundreds of thousands of innocent foreigners? And you still wonder why we are hated almost everywhere in the world? Because we happily slaughter women and children so that we can have orange juice in the refrigerator?

Yes, I enjoy the benefits of "national interests", but I would by happy to three time as much for gasoline and live the rest of my life without orange juice if that would stop the killing of innocent people.

November 30, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. PLT

I am afraid this smacks a bit of a set up. Amazing how efficient the FBI agents have been in arranging all the equipment needed for the 'big bang' . . .

November 30, 2010 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. PLT

I mean why couldn't we have nabbed him straight off for "planning to" or "attempting to" or even "thinking about" etc and put him on the next plane out to Mogadishu.

Now we have a rabid Muslim fundamentalist who will spend the rest of his natural life behind bars in the US – at the taxpayers expense – and spend each waking hour converting other US citizens who may be more lucky with detonation than he has been.

November 30, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Softship

I think if we could be incarcerated for things we have been "thinking about", we'd all be in prison.

I also believe that once a person had become a naturalized citizen, he has all the same rights as a natural born citizen – except becoming president of the United States. Hence, he cannot be sent "on the next plane out to Mogadishu".

I'm sure that it is better for the US to have him in American prison than somewhere in the world helping plan another terrorist act.

November 30, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |