Pentagon: Letting openly gay troops serve won't hurt military
November 30th, 2010

Pentagon: Letting openly gay troops serve won't hurt military

Letting openly gay or lesbian troops serve in the military would have little lasting impact on the U.S. armed forces, a major Pentagon review has found, several sources familiar with the results told CNN Tuesday.

Putting an end to "don't ask, don't tell," would have "some limited and isolated disruption to unit cohesion and retention," the year-long study found, but the effects would not be long-lasting or widespread.

FULL STORY

1. Cesar

Gay people have rights. Just don't touch me! Don't ask don't tell.

November 30, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jim Brieske

Recruiting and reenlistment of Christians and straight soldiers will drop drastically. Anyone who says otherwise, is a LIAR. What do you think I am stupid? You Obama instructed people being told to say our military won't be harmed is pure politicizing of the issue.
    Common sense tells what the results of gay men serving in our military will be. Our military does not need gay men fighting.
    jim

November 30, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mario

Ok, Jim, since you're such an expert. Let's just ask the 66,000 gay men and women currently serving in the military to come on home. And lets tell the countless other gay men and women considering service should DADT be overturned that they should just forget it and go home. That seems like a sound decision. You should be a general of some sort.

November 30, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

Are you an idiot or do you just play one on the internet?

The US military is seeing it's highest enlistment rates in years, and you think all that is going to change because of a policy that doesn't affect the vast majority of the military? Until unemployment drops in half and we finally leave the middle east, the enlistment rate won't drop, and even when it does, i seriously doubt it would be anywhere close to "drastic"

November 30, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • isiah's

At least they're inside the closet. Have at least some decency and respect with their fatigues. It would be embarassing to see marines winding hips while marching or using colorettes on their faces to match with camouflage.

November 30, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charity

There have been openly gay and lesbian individuals in America for a long time now. I don't see any reduction in the number of Christian or straight men and women here because of it. So why on earth would anyone believe there will be a reduction in those willing to fight for our country? Don't like freedom, go somewhere else. I'm sure there are plenty of countries that would love your archaic ideas.

November 30, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • isiah's

have you heard priests molesting altar boys, haven't you? If Vatican would allow gay priest to go openly and serve the church, I tell figures will be doubled trippled or mulitiplied by many folds.

If it happening in the church, what could more worst in military?

Servicemen getting abused by sadist gay generals, how it that sounds to you?

December 1, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • AC MOM

I think it will make things alot worse... I am Active Duty USAF and personally I would rather that they keep this policy in because think of how many more hate crimes would be comitted? And alot more friendly fire as well... I would rather not know if the guy I work with is gay or straight. But what really boils down to it is, if this policy is disbanded then will health care and all the benifits that spouces in the military also apply to the gay spouce?

December 1, 2010 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. osama bin diesel

Drastic is such a gay word

November 30, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kuuipo

Who cares if they are gay just as long as they do their jobs just like the next person i do not think they being gay is going to affect their ability to fight & if they pass the test & drills like everyone else & are willing to die for their country then i don't see the big deal!

November 30, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The soldier

I'll meat you in the mess hall tent *wink*

November 30, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sugarparfait

I have nothing to say since I'm a coward compared these men and women, gay or not, have much better opinions than I could ever have on this matter.

November 30, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ginoriginal

Christians who deplore gays should take a long, hard look in the mirror, if not their hearts and ask "why?" I'm not buying, "cause God said so", and neither are your children or grandchildren. Welcome to the 21St century.

November 30, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. texas

Served 22.5 yrs.with a 10 year brk gays and lesbian were in the military in 1973 and are still serving and everybody knew who every body was – gay or straight and we did not have to be told "don't ask. Don't tell"

November 30, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kuuipo

I totally agree with allowing openly gay & lesbians join our military forces why not?! if they pass all the test & drills just like the next person & they do their jobs then i don't see what the big deal is! i don't think that being gay is going to affect the way they hold a gun & they are willing to die for their country they should be treated with the same respect as the next person!

November 30, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kuuipo

Just let them be in the military they can do just as good as the next person especially if they pass all the test, exams & drills they being gay will not affect their ability to hold a gun properly so let them fight for their country if they want & give them the same respect!

November 30, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. RUFFNUTT

i can sense the friendly fire accidents going up.

i dont think i'd like to be on guard duty with my partner looking at my pants and licking there lips. it'll just be a big distraction and put people in danger..

maybe they could make a special unit of gays that could be separate. then they could go to town on each other..

November 30, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Common Sense

I think I would take this more seriously if you had used the correct form of their. Actually, no, I wouldn't have.

November 30, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • BadWolf77

I can see your concerns, but I do have one question here: Is that kind of behavior you describe (lip-licking, etc) something we allow male servicemen to treat female servicemen to? I don't think it is, and it's equally (not more or less) a distraction regardless of who is doing it.

Is that how you behave in the military toward female servicemen? I don't think so, and there's no reason to think that a gay man or a lesbian that's dedicated enough to put on that uniform and risk life serving our country is going to misbehave in that same way. Thinking of an exaggerated worst and then basic policy on it only cheats our armed forces out of dedicated, intelligent patriots.

November 30, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. RUFFNUTT

btw why do you think the dinosaurs are all gone..they went gay and forgot to reproduce

November 30, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jim Brieske

30000+ butt buddies who need counseling. If they refuse then they get discharged. No one is born gay. A choice is made. Anyone who believes otherwise is a naive, stupid person.
    Mario. The fact is I am the most powerful person on this planet.
    jim

November 30, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. kellen

Hey Jim, do you and Dr Bad get together for coffee and try to out stupid each other? Just curious.

November 30, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nat

I am a christian..I don't deplore gay people but I do disagree with their lifestyle..honestly why would anyone working with them need to know...

November 30, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |