November 30th, 2010

Police dog disappears during search

Bane is a 4-year-old German shepherd.

A Michigan State Police dog searching for a missing dementia patient has become the subject of a search himself.

Bane, a 4-year-old German shepherd, disappeared November 13, according to a website set up by his handler, Michigan State Trooper Jamie Bullis.

The two were part of a group looking for the missing man in a swamp near Alpena in northern lower Michigan when the dog's lead got tangled in brush, Bullis wrote.

"I dropped the lead to untangle him. About the time I got him free, a deer that had been bedded and was less than five yards from me jumped up and ran directly in front of Bane. Bane gave chase," Bullis wrote. "He was out of sight in about a second and I have not seen him since."

Searchers found human remains the following day; police believe it was the missing man but are awaiting positive identification, the Detroit Free Press reported.

A "Find Bane" Facebook page set up by Bullis has garnered the maximum 5,000 friends, and a video on YouTube chronicles Bane's training.

Volunteers continue to look for Bane, but Bullis is not encouraging them to venture into the woods, because Michigan's firearm deer season continues until 30 minutes after sunset Tuesday.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Dogs • Michigan • U.S.
  1. Veritas

I am praying for his return. am an animal lover and i know the heartbreak of a pet gone missing.

November 30, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • THETRUTH

Dogs get shot for chasing deer.

November 30, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

I wonder how many times mans best friend was used to put people in jail. Its not a pet, its a facist police tool. Shame, Shepherds are wonderful dogs...too bad so many end up being used for such horrible purposes.

November 30, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • ceri

I know finding missing dementia patients is soooo facist. crappy dogs. like those ones that dig people out of the snow and feed them alcohol so they can live.

November 30, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • nightaudit11

dogs get shot for running deer, no matter if their police dogs or not. Some training when a dog trained to obey commands just runs off chasing deer, sounds like the police need to get better trained dogs or start doing the job their paid to due themselves.

December 1, 2010 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Lee Love

How do you find a lost search dog ? send out the search cat.....

December 1, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • drew

you're an idiot steve

December 1, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Maureen W.

Many of us pray for Bane's safe return. Bane is a police officer, he and his handler are dedicated to finding EVERYONE. So those of you with the derogatory remarks or stupid "jokes", remember it's Bane and Officer Bullis that will be out there, for as long as it takes, to find you, your child or your family member.

December 1, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. AndyLau

i hope they find him

November 30, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tracey

I am an animal lover as well and I hope he is found unharmed and back with his owner.

November 30, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dcn8v

I thought police dogs were better trained than that. I do hope they find him, and work on his "coming when called" behaviors!

November 30, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • pnut

Even the best trained dog can be susceptible to prey drive. Even OTCH dogs or police dogs. They are dogs, not robots or people.

November 30, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donna W

I agree. Not every thing or one listens when called. Do you have children? lol
      I've been following Banes story since the beginning. I hope and pray daily for his safe return.

November 30, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. tropical

Regardless on how well a dog is trained, a dog still have its natural instincts to persue prey.on that note,it will need all its natural instincts now to survive in the wild.

November 30, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Al

I sure hope Bane is found safe! Keep looking for him, don't give up!!

November 30, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. E1 atoM

Maybe the dog just forgot.

November 30, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. GG

I thought that police dogs were trained better then that as well. I hope he returns home safely.

November 30, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. GG

I thought that police dogs were trained better than that as well. I hope he returns home safely.

November 30, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jimmy

Palin and obama took him

November 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. john

Well whatever got the dementia patient probably got fidobane too. And I think the michigan militia
    Is to blame. They eat people and dogs don't they.

November 30, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. alumette

Bizarre. These dogs are trained to come right back to their trainer. He is likely hurt either in a trap or somehow unable to let them know where he is. Could a snake have gotten to him? I can't imagine a deer hurting a dog, then maybe the deer was terrified and managed to run over the dog and hurt him.......just weird. I don't think he ran away. He is likely hurt or dead.

November 30, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • AR15

@ alumette, snakes??? did you miss the northern lower michigan in november? more likely the wolf packs that rome that area.

November 30, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. alumette

killed by a hunter?

November 30, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Meganchambers19years

Maybe the person they are looking for killed him ? He's in my prayers.

November 30, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • missa

The person they were searching for was an elderly dementia patient. The man went missing in August and extensive searches never located him. They were out searching that day because a hunter believed he found the man's shirt. Since then, they have found the remains of the patient.

November 30, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. LIV2JAM

It takes a couple of days for a dog to consume a dear. He'll be back.

November 30, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |