November 30th, 2010

Police dog disappears during search

Bane is a 4-year-old German shepherd.

A Michigan State Police dog searching for a missing dementia patient has become the subject of a search himself.

Bane, a 4-year-old German shepherd, disappeared November 13, according to a website set up by his handler, Michigan State Trooper Jamie Bullis.

The two were part of a group looking for the missing man in a swamp near Alpena in northern lower Michigan when the dog's lead got tangled in brush, Bullis wrote.

"I dropped the lead to untangle him. About the time I got him free, a deer that had been bedded and was less than five yards from me jumped up and ran directly in front of Bane. Bane gave chase," Bullis wrote. "He was out of sight in about a second and I have not seen him since."

Searchers found human remains the following day; police believe it was the missing man but are awaiting positive identification, the Detroit Free Press reported.

A "Find Bane" Facebook page set up by Bullis has garnered the maximum 5,000 friends, and a video on YouTube chronicles Bane's training.

Volunteers continue to look for Bane, but Bullis is not encouraging them to venture into the woods, because Michigan's firearm deer season continues until 30 minutes after sunset Tuesday.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Dogs • Michigan • U.S.
  1. Patty

Jimmy My dogs name is Jimmy and alot smarter than U ! Idiot....

November 30, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Seamus Wardowski

He's obviously out looking for Timmy who fell in a well...

November 30, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kristy

Aww that's just sad 🙁 I hope he finds his dog alive and well. I have a 15 yr old Dalmatian, that I've had since she was 6 weeks old! I couldn't imagine losing her and not knowing where and what happened to her. Hopefully someone found him and took him in, and when they see that his owner is looking for him they will return him.

November 30, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Fulcanelli

this has to be the funniest thing i have heard all day.... The dog found freedom...

November 30, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julia

How sad that you have to make an ugly comment. Didn't your mommy love you?

November 30, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. A Trainer

Dogs are usually trained for specific purposes..... Show dogs usually have horrible social skills outside of the ring. Companion trained dogs are not usually adapt at search and rescue. Attack dogs are not equiped to sniff out drugs..... Although I firmly believe dogs can be much smarter then people, they only know what they are taught. Ever known a human to know something that wasn't presented to them at one time or another, in one form or another? I personally lost a dog the very same way.... only mine was not on a leash so I have only myself to blame. We were hundreds of miles away from home but not an uncommon senerio for us.

November 30, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • HRDseeker

"Show dogs usually have horrible social skills outside of the ring. Companion trained dogs are not usually adapt at search and rescue. Attack dogs are not equipped to sniff out drugs". Really A Trainer? Where do you get your information. Search and Rescue dogs are companion dogs. Police dogs are trained to attack, protect, and to work as detection canines. Show dogs are the most social dogs I know. The training of the police dog is irrelevant. All dogs have prey drive. I have a Search and Rescue canine and believe me, if a deer or small critter ran in front of her, she would chase.

November 30, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • A Trainer

LOL... HRDseeker: please comprehend what you read before you comment. I did not say search and rescue dogs were not companions. I said the exact opposite, not all companion dogs are capable of search and rescue. You are correct that police dogs are trained attack, protect and as detection dogs. But not all in one! Are you seriously saying a drug detection dog will also attack on command? Doubtful but not impossible. As far as show dogs, I did not say they were not social dogs. What I said was that their social "skills" leave something to be desired. Haven't met a show dog yet that didn't jump all over me during introductions. Been working with dogs for 35 yrs. What's your background?

November 30, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • ceri

I thought search and rescue dogs practically *had* to be extremely prey-driven. Prey-driven, get-the-ball driven, get the treat driven–just in general extremely driven dogs. Otherwise they cant really be trained to the search and rescue bit. I dont have one. I just heard that.

November 30, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cassaroll83

Does anyone find it a little weird that everyone is worried about the dog, but noone really cares that a dead body was found in the area that they THINK is the dementia patient? It's sad that society values the life of a dog more then a human being.

November 30, 2010 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • A Trainer

No one is discounting the remains found..... the article is about a lost police officer!!

November 30, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Stephanie

I am going to agree what about the remains they found?

November 30, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sue

You would think that with technology, law enforcement Dogs would wear GPS. I do hope he finds his dog alive, can't imagine his heartache.

November 30, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • OH's Mom

Sadly, money is tight for many departments. Some departments do not even have bullet proof vests for their canine officers. If you are an animal lover and care about these animals talk to your local departments, see what they need, and help raise money!

November 30, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Like that

Its obama's fault

November 30, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kat

One would think a police dog would be micro-chipped.

November 30, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alana

And how exactly would a microchip locate a lost dog in the woods?

November 30, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Momma

He is microchipped – twice, but not with GPS. He also has a tattoo in his left ear that is a series of 6 letters and numbers that are green in color.

November 30, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. eileen

He's probably in a bear's belly. He should have been trained better.

November 30, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tiina

I feel sorry for Bane's handler. As an animal lover, I can't imagine the worry he is experiencing. With all the training and work they go through, a strong bond is developed between these special partners. I appreciate the work of ALL of our public servants – be they human or canine. My hope is that Bane got lost and someone found him not knowing where he belongs. Hopefully the publicity will bring about a happy reunion.

November 30, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. softballmom

This is so sad! I hope and pray that he returns. My husband is also a K9 officer and finds it strange that the dog would not find his way back to his handler. I also feel for the officer, I know he must be lost without his partner. The bond that the officer and K9 have is something no one understands until you see it.

November 30, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. edward

I hope he returns but I too thought police dogs would be less apt to revert back to old habits of chasing prey. As far as people valuing dogs over humans. I think all life is precious, but have extra sympathy for those who are dependent like children, elderly and animals.

November 30, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Donna W

PLEASE PEOPLE well wishes and prayers are what is needed, not nasty comments. I would be going nuts if my rottie went missing, as I'm sure Banes handler is. It cost a lot of money to train a dog to do the type of work Bane does. But in the end he is a dog with the need to run, it's in the blood so to speak. He seen a deer and acted, plain and simple. It could have chased this deer for miles. I pray he's not hurt or stuck in a dang trap somewhere. These animals become part of the handler life, at home, at work everyday.
    If I didn't live so far away I'd help search. Please help find Bane, thanks for reading 🙂
    PS
    Hang in the Jamie Bane will come home.

November 30, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |