NCAA clears Auburn star Cam Newton to play
December 1st, 2010

NCAA clears Auburn star Cam Newton to play

Newton's father, the Rev. Cecil Newton, and another person, who wasn't named, tried to market Newton "as a part of a pay-for-play scenario in return for Newton's commitment to attend college and play football," the NCAA said.

Auburn has limited Newton's father's access to the athletic program and Mississippi State - which tried to recruit Newton - has cut off relations with the other person.

Auburn's football team is undefeated and ranked No. 1 in the BCS poll, thanks largely to Newton's running and passing, but pay-to-play allegations have dogged the team all season.

The NCAA investigation concluded that although his father violated the rules, the player did nothing wrong and should be allowed to continue to play.

"The conduct of Cam Newton's father and the involved individual is unacceptable and has no place in the SEC or in intercollegiate athletics," said Mike Slive, Southeastern Conference commissioner. "The actions taken by Auburn University and Mississippi State University make it clear this behavior will not be tolerated in the SEC."

Post by:
Filed under: College football • Sports
  1. Chuck

I am now much less of a college football fan.

December 1, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • yo daddy

i bet you don't miss a play of the sec and bcs games......you'll be watching the best player in college football just like all the rest of us.....quit crying just because he doesn't play for your team.....

December 1, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wow

So... you haven't been paying attention the last 30 years and just now woke up? Watch the ESPN 30 for 30 on Marcus Dupree's recruitment.

December 1, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Shelly

Sorry but I had a problem with this from the begining. "Suddenly" when Heisman and Cam are in the same sentence people come forward to try and ruin Cam. I'm also sick and tired of greedy parents ruining their talented children's lives expecting these kids to support them. I don't think Auburn should be punished for something Preacher Daddy did when there is no proof money exchanged hands so apparently someone said no AT AUBURN!!!! Which from the report money was never brought up to Auburn. Maybe Preacher Daddy knew better. I agree Cecil Newton should be limited from Auburn's program but he is Cam's dad so let him sit his GREEDY a@ in the stands QUIET! hahaha Good luck Cam because like Wisconsin and Nevada, SC wants to spoil the BCS party. hahahaha Boise leave the poor kicker alone. Geesh ESPN showing it a million times is punishment enough hahaha

December 1, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sweetiepie

AU fans arrogance is only matched by their ability to whitewash anything dirty that touches them. By the way...the people who tried ro "ruin" cam was his own father and the NCAA rules are pretty clear...that is for everyone except Cam and AU.

December 1, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Logic.

Are you asserting the NCAA cannot apply their own rules? They were quick to assert them a few years ago against Southern Miss and Alabama. And Tennessee for that matter.

December 1, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sweetiepie

LOL...well isn't that convenient? To listen to AU fans, they have already won the NC! What a bunch of sad sacks, having to deal with the fact you are inept and will remain so when cam leaves after his payday.
    You are truly naive if you think AU is clean in this...but money talks, huh?

December 1, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jiim

Sweetiepie,

Your spelling, "Naive", clearly identifies you as BAMA grad. Loser! Love the name too. I bet you are one tough cookie!

December 1, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

LOL...To listen to UA fans, they have ACTUALLY won 13 NC! What a bunch of sad sacks, having to deal with the fact your school is a nation-wide joke and will remain so even when your short, ornery, miserable robot of a coach leaves.
      You are truly naive if you think UA is even REMOTELY clean. Bama's probably the dirtiest school in the SEC, players get suspended yearly not only for felonies, but for kickbacks from the university.

December 1, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tim

OK. Let me spell it out for the mouthbreathers in the room. There is a difference between asking for a benefit and receiving a benefit. If a kid asks the coach recruiting him if he can have some help with the rent, with his mom's medical bills, with a new watch, does that make the kid ineligible forever? The NCAA does not want to open that can of worms!.

Here is the bottom line. Cam did not ask for an illegal benefit his father did. Auburn did not get asked to supply an illegal benefit, AND OBVIOUSLY DID NOT GIVE ANY! End of story. The kid is the most exciting, charismatic, talented player to play the game in a long time. He plays for Auburn. Deal with it.

December 1, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • mouthbreather

Hmm. Sounds a little like the mafia hit man who said, "Those charges were dropped. They never found a body."
      Oh, and good luck against SC and the 'old ball coach' this weekend.

December 1, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Banker Joe

Can someone please tell me how the NCAA is out money if Cam is benched? They will get ad dollars regardless of who plays. Obviously they had enough info to clear him and they cleared him so Heisman voting is not affected. And for commentators that are disrespecting the state, I would love to know what state you are from that is perfect. Football is part of our culture and we are very proud of it. I guess when you can't think of anything better just start name calling. Very intelligent.

December 1, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bob

The NCAA should be ashamed of itself. What an absolute farce. Laughable.

December 1, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • yo daddy

quit crying bammer

December 1, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. curious

I am curious, what is the difference between what happened here and what happened with Reggie Bush? I admittedly don't know all the facts and that is why I am asking, but my understanding is that Reggie's family shopped him out for benefits and Cam's father shopped him out for benefits. USC got major sanctions and Reggie had to give back his Heisman. Auburn appears to be in the clear and Cam is about to receive the Hiesman after being cleared of this.

I know Reggie's family did receive benefits, and I am not sure tha Cam's did, but allegations are that Cam's father's church was in bankruptcy last year and is clear now so that seems like it would be easy to track back if there were any money changing hands there. Does anyone have any more info on this?

December 1, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • yo daddy

people don't realize that the ncaa has known about this since july.....no rules have been broken except an overbearing father.....newton is just a young man.....a great football player.....let him play

December 1, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

The difference is huge. One guy received the illegal benefits, and the other guy did not. What are you missing?

December 1, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. WDE!!!

Actually Auburn declared Scootin' Newton ineligible not the NCAA...

December 1, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • beachblnd

Actually, NCAA did suspend him.....read the article again. "The NCAA suspended Auburn University football star Cam Newton for one day during an investigation of recruiting violations, but the Heisman Trophy candidate's eligibility was reinstated Wednesday."

December 1, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wow

Can't always believe everything you read...here is quote from NCAA..."Auburn University football student-athlete Cam Newton is immediately eligible to compete, according to a decision today by the NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff. The NCAA concluded on Monday that a violation of amateurism rules occurred, therefore Auburn University declared the student-athlete ineligible yesterday for violations of NCAA amateurism rules."
      So...Auburn declared him ineligible pending NCAA finding, which cleared him.

December 1, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lloyd

There are actually people here who think that a teenage son can influence or dictate what his father does, especially when it comes to that much money?

And, since when did the NCAA not become a billion dollar business?

December 1, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. L

Cam Newton looks sooooooooooooooo creepy like he should be a shot caller in prison. Dont worry yall he wont materialize and his game is not gonna work in the NFL

December 1, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jeff

For sale to Highest bidding college........ I have one high school son who is 6'6" 220lbs, runs 4.25 40 and throws the ball 50 yards............ all I want is $200k to rebuild my church and no one will ever know ......... NCAA is full of BS!!!

December 1, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joe

Hey capple,

The average conspiracy theorist doesn't have the IQ to understand what you just wrote. Their world is in the rhelm of the paranoia.

December 1, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bob

Football is his job. He should get paid. No one here works for free but we expect college athletes to work for free? Why? The school, the SEC, NCAA, BCS all make money on his talent. The rules allow everyone except the college athlete to make money off the talent of the college athlete. Its just stupid and no one here would accept that if there employer told them that the "rules" say you have to work for free.

December 1, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • ld

He is getting paid to play with a free education. I am going to be in debt for the rest of my life because I am fighting to find a good job to pay it back. Saying that he should be getting paid in college to play football would be stupid because it is not his job yet. When a player plays in high school, everyone else also makes money from the STUDENT-athletes. If he wants to make money then he should enter the NFL, which is a job. This kid should be lucky that he even got in to college where he can show off his talents and then in turn make it to the NFL. The whole system is messed up, I am paying thousands to receive an education to become a teacher, a teacher who gets students like Cam Newton into college, where is my millions?

December 1, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sweetiepie

Jim, OH Poor JIm...did I hit a nerve? LOL...Get over yourselves Auburn fans, you have proven nothing except that you are dirty in more ways than one. All is well in T-town...we have 13...shut up unitl you can match it!

December 1, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jiim

And when Bama was winning their 13, the Auburn fans that I know thought it was well deserved and didn't go crying about it. Grow up. I am an Auburn fan but I pull for Bama except for when they play "THE University of Alabama". You mouthed off first their SWEETIE not me. I am proud that we, "Alabama", as a state, can field the power that we do throughout the college ranks. While I would love to see Auburn win every game, I do not begrudge Bama nor their fans when they recruit well and play well. I don't cry, I don't whine but I do love taking a jab at my Bama cousins when I get a chance. Lighten up Sweetie. Life is too short.

December 1, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. John Goodman

I would like to share this information in hopes the media, FBI, SEC and NCAA will investigate these rumors. I have been told by a friend in AL that one reason the FBI got involve was through a wire tap on a Auburn Alum who runs a bingo gaming operation in AL. Supposedly, he was trying to bribe some state legislators to promote casino gambling in other parts of the state. During the wire tap with another Auburn Alum who is a major banker in the state the topic of Cam Newton came up about providing money for him as well as other Auburn football players. These footballs players would be supplied with non traceable ATM cards which they used to make withdraws from the ATM's at near by Bingo parlors. According to my contact this has been going on for some time.

I hope the NCAA and SEC is not involved with some kind of cover up.

December 1, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |