House passes tax cut extension for families making less than $250,000
December 2nd, 2010

House passes tax cut extension for families making less than $250,000

The House of Representatives passed legislation Thursday extending the Bush-era tax cuts only for families making $250,000 a year or less.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Politics
  1. Here's a thought

If the Republicans agree on tax cuts, but for everyone inlcuding the top 2% wage earners, why can't they agree with passing the current tax cuts for those making up to $250K now then proceed with a seperate vote for the 2% later since they will have a majority in the House? And what happened to their argrument about not passing things are not paid for? They did not to pass an extension of umemployment because it was not paid for, but how are they going to pay for the tax cuts if passed? It sounds like they want their cake and eat it too.

December 2, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RonG

I manage for some multi multi millionaires and I can promise you they are not investing those tax savings in new job creation. If they are then it's not in this country. They usually keep that money in a safe place. They only invest in politicians who protect their interests, not the interest of the countries a whole. All of them have homes and bank accounts abroad just in case. I am one of these people that fall into the 250k , but I'm happy to pay taxes. Even after I pay the new tax rate, I've still got a lot of money left over. That's being a good American and christian, not hoarding everything while the country around you collapses. Ferraris need nice roads to drive on. Boating is more fun on a clean lake. The military does a damn good job, and they deserve a raise. I'm proud to have my taxes raised, "ask what you can do for your country", your country needs financial help.

December 2, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Really?

As a condition of extening the current tax cuts, senate should hold a hearing where they call in these millionaires and make them guarantee to the American public that they would create jobs. That way, if they failed on their commitments, they should be forced to pay?

December 2, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. George Bushy

Come on people. Jim is right. The cuts I passed in 2001 and 2003 created alot of jobs. Unfortunately those jobs were lost by my other policies that I passed, so can't I get partial credit for something?

December 2, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jim Brieske

I'm sorry all, I was wrong on my points.

December 2, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. RonG

Yeah right, you can't force anyone to invest. Another idea would be tax beaks for the number of provable jobs created domestically. Give any business owner a tax break for the number of jobs he creates, Businesses too. Also give tax breaks to companies that pay a majority, not all, health insurance deductions for their employees. I would give the tax breaks to companies that give money to programs which ease govt. Spending. Local fire and police departments, anonymously of course. Schools could also be funded this way, companies support the communities.

December 2, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really?

I agree with RonG. Businesses should get incentives for doing the right thing, but I remain skeptical that they would.

December 2, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Toni

Only tax break for jobs created in US.
      Tax break for improving your city structure to make access to jobs greener and efficient. We ( I'm talking about us poor up to 250k need to use our buying power to force change and buy USA products. Difficult but possible) someone said capitalism is great but that they get too greedy? Can't remember who. I am going to try to buy all my purchases 2011 USA made.

December 2, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. RonG

They want to save money, that's the incentive that drives them. They pay, they get a receipt. Individuals could do the same if they chose, do some extra work as a voluntary firefighter or teacher and you don't get paid, but you get a tax credit. Or stay home and pay taxes.

December 2, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. randy e

At least they got one thing right. Now if they could just agree to bring our troops home.

December 2, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DaveinBuffalo

Tax cuts never create jobs. When taxes go up, those who own businesses will plow more monet back into the business in order to keep their personal takehome below whatever threshold they're near. That's when jobs are created. The tax breaks the GOP want do not benefit the small business owner, as I know no small business owner making over 250K. These tax cuts they want are for the megawealthy, the kind that pump tons of cash to 501(c)(3) coffers.

December 2, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sburg

well apparently giving 250000 plus a tax break didn't create enough jobs. they should have the money to pay those taxes anyway. i know i make 35000 a year and if they give me extra money to spend on things than it promotes the sale of product. the people who create jobs are the people who buy things. if there is someone who wants to buy something there will always be someone willing to make it. giving a tax cut to the rich does nothing but line their pockets with money they apparently aren't going to spend. there are more people who fit under the 250000 category than over it. so to me that says more people will buy things. just my thoughts I'm sure there is someone willing to prove me wrong. lol

December 3, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. sburg

I'm sure the rich want you to think that jobs are created from giving tax cuts to them. why wouldn't they promote that they have the money too. besides their just brainwashing u into giving them more money "just to clarify".

December 3, 2010 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  12. Human hamburger

'I am proud to have my taxes raised.' RonG is an idiot.

December 3, 2010 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ed Bailey

Mr Brieske, without meeting you my crystal ball tells me you are 1.CAUCESIAN 2.REPUBLICAN 3.RELIGIOUS 4.OVERWEIGHT 5.OVERPAID 6. GREEDY 7.STUPID 8.How many did I get wrong?

December 3, 2010 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. sburg

human nature is why socialism doesn't work. not the idea. all the socialist or communist countrys have the same problems we do. that just goes to show u there will always be someone out there willing to take advantage and abuse power.

December 3, 2010 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  15. Ed Bailey

Mr. Brieske, just read all of your stupidity. Please have a major coronary event on your dime. It creates jobs for people who care.sorry, forgot to call you a racist, by chance are you MORMON?

December 3, 2010 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |