World Cup hosts announced: Russia in 2018, Qatar in 2022
December 2nd, 2010

World Cup hosts announced: Russia in 2018, Qatar in 2022

[Updated at 10:42 a.m.] FIFA's World Cup will be held in Qatar in 2022, the governing body said in a press conference Thursday.

The tiny, wealthy Middle Eastern nation beat out the United States, Japan, South Korea and Australia to host what will be the largest sporting
event in the world in 2022.  Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad Al-Thani, the son of Qatar's emir and head of the emirate's bid team, said he was looking forward to the first time a Middle Eastern nation hosts the event.

"Thank you for believing in change, for expanding the game and for giving Qatar a chance. You will be proud of us – and you will be proud of the Middle East. I promise you this," he said.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter confirmed that the ruling body's desire to grow the sport around the world played a big part in the committee's thinking.

"I have to say thanks to to the executive committee because for 2018 and 2022 we go to new lands, because the FIFA World Cup has never been in eastern Europe or the Middle East. So, I'm a happy president when we speak of the development of football," he said.

[Posted at 10:37 a.m.] The 2018 FIFA World Cup will be held in Russia, the sport's governing body announced Thursday.

The Russian government has pledged billions of dollars to build new stadiums and infrastructure. A tournament in Russia would also open a huge, relatively untapped market for FIFA, which has awarded World Cups to South Africa in 2010 and Japan and South Korea in 2002 for similar reasons.

Russia beat out England and joint bids from Spain/Portugal and Belgium/Netherlands to host what will be the largest sporting event in the
world in 2018. It will be the first time the contest has been held in eastern Europe.

Russian prime minister Vladimir Putin decided against attending the ceremony in Zurich, but his deputy Igor Shuvalov was present to accept the
first successful bid from Eastern Europe.

"You have entrusted us with the FIFA World Cup for 2018 and I can promise that you will never regret it. Let us make history together," he told the
assembled delegates.

Lowdown on World Cup bids

Post by:
Filed under: Soccer • Sports
  1. BJS

If the hosting countries were selected on the basis of bribes, and everybody knows FIFA takes bribes, then shame on the U.S. for getting "out-bribed". I guess the U.S. is as good at bribery as it is soccer.

December 2, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Yank soccer fan

So sad, but yet unfortunately quite near the truth.

December 2, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Scott

Well the way the US government is going it's a good thing that they are planning this in other counties. Who knows, maybe by 2022 Qatar will own the US after it bails the US government out.

December 2, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  3. LO

LO
    You people disgust me!!! Qatar is NOT a terrorist country!!!!! Once in a while, go outside the little villages you live in and see the world for what it is. As for myself, I was born in India. I moved to QATAR when I was 4 with my family. I have never lived in such opulence before in my life, as I did in Qatar!!!!!!!!!! It is literally a land of milk and honey. Not only that, it is an extremely peaceful and very much democratic country!!! Most of our U.S. army bases are based in Qatar. Then, I moved to U.S. when I was 9. I love being an American and I consider it an honor to have been raised here for most of my life. I also studied for about 5 yeas in Eastern Europe (Poland). That being said, it is SAD when a bunch of ignorant people who have no IDEA of what the world is, start giving a bad reputation to great countries like Qatar!!!!! I understand that having the great fortune and honor of living in 4 countries in my very young age, may not be granted to all. But at least, pick up a book and read! Heck, look up things on wikipedia for pete's sake! Not every country in the Middle East is a terrorist country/group. And no, Qatar is not part of U.A.E. I am ecstatic that Qatar will be recognized in the global scheme of things! Can't wait for 2018 & 2022, God willing!

December 2, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Saverio

Well said my friend !!!

December 2, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Rynch

Mr. I and my friends won't watch the Fifa world cup 2022. We strongly believe every muslim is a bully. Today Fifa lose me.

December 2, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LF

What a joke.

December 2, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. morph147

russia does deserve this honor. however it will be interesting to see how they do it in Qatar. probably will be a nightmare with security. but hey FIFA has always been a political making machine sending the world cup to poor countries to try and bring them up. (they usually fail look at south africa). kinda sad i was looking forward to going to see the world cup in my life time. hopefully USA can get it for 2026 or 2030.

December 2, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • mane

How did they fail in South Africa and by what standards do you measure South Africa as a poor country? I wish more Americans will travel and see the world instead of living off stereotypes.

December 2, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dean

Qatar is far from a poor country sir...

December 2, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Caroline

They picked Qatar because it's in the Middle East and FIFA needs to pay their debt to each region in order not to look like bad people. Even though the US is WAY more qualified to host and people would be more willing to travel to the US, FIFA chose Qatar because of the possibility of a Middle Eastern COuntry hosting. FIFA is a joke right now. They are doing the politically correct thing instead of the right/most logical thing (picking the United State). I was so excited that the US was a front runner and all my friends, who don't play soccer, absolutely love it and love watching the World Cup. FIFA, you have failed.

December 2, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Varun

How about usa hosting the WC every time? Would that be good enough for you? Why care about football? Go back to your world cups of baseball, basketball and football where kentucy plays kansas...

December 2, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bill

Thank goodness US did not get the games. The security costs, impact to local residents, and lets not forget the TSA. The international incidents from the TSA screenings alone would have created a mess.

I've been to Qatar (yes I am an American and I know exactly where it is). Very nice, opulent, and WAY above by pay grade to live there as an ex-pat. I didn't like the way some of the workers appeared to be treated, but that's the way it is all over the region. So you have to just accept it, get over it and get to the business at hand.

December 2, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Varun

Hey Bill – Good too see such comments from Americans. I know there are plenty of people like you in the US. As far as employees not being treated right, that can only change with time.

December 2, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. LO

Please read my comment on page 1.

December 2, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  9. inkwarrior

Do Americans really care about soccer anyway? FIFA can have their "world cup" - and I hope all 9 people who attend the 2022 cup enjoy it.

December 2, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Dean

I hope you enjoy living your life in the secluded sense that you still believe FOOTBALL is a boring sport that won't pick up here. Not to mention the fac

December 2, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dean

Fact that just because you're to ignorant to like a sport doesn't mean that others won't.

December 2, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • #1 Baltimore ravens fan.

Soccer is the # 1 watched sport in the world. what do you mean 9 people?

December 2, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Makail

This wouldn't have happened if the Republicans were in power in the White House & Senate. I blame Obama.

December 2, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Footballer

Well them Repugs couldn't get the 2012 Olympics to NYC either back in 2005! 😀

December 5, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. FS

I am very disappointed in the decision to hold the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. To host it in a county having one of the highest GDPs in the world is a mistake, especially in a time when so many countries are suffering financially. This could have brought a big boom to other economies, but instead a country the size of Connecticut, already thriving was chosen. The World Cup is supposed to be an event that brings the world together, but this decision seems to be driving people apart.

December 2, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  12. Rick

First off, i couldn't care less about soccer or (futball) or whatever you want to call it. I don't know why Russia got it, BUT, in my opinion Qutar was awarded the 2022 because it is a MU SL IM nation!!

December 2, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • kb

YOU DO CARE....THOSE WHO DON'T CARE DO NOT TAKE THE TIME TO WRITE THESE COMMENTS

December 2, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  13. sskrill

Why not Russia? As an American of Russian descent I would love to go. I would love to see it in the US again but I'm not going to cry about it.

December 2, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. Craig

Who care's where it's played 99.9999% of football/futbol/soccer fans will be watching it on TV. My only problem with Qatar is the matches will be indoors, I hope they create stadiums that have that intimate feel we normally see in outdoor world cup matches; and for God's sake, it had better be on grass.

December 2, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. Entropy

Your racism is not appreciated. Qatar is one of the most westernized Middle-Eastern nations. Women's rights, freedom, nightclubs, all that good stuff.

The only reason people will boycott a Quatari World Cup is because they're bigots. And is that such a loss?

December 2, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |