Jobs numbers dissapoint
December 3rd, 2010

Jobs numbers dissapoint

39,000 jobs were added to the economy in November - the worst number since September, government says.

That marks a major slowdown from October, when the economy added an upwardly revised 172,000 jobs. Unemployment rose in November to 9.8% from 9.6% and stock futures turned lower.

The numbers are a huge disappointment, considering economists surveyed by CNNMoney.com expect a similar gain for November - they're predicting 150,000 jobs were added to payrolls during the month. Bernard Baumohl, chief economist of the Economic Outlook Group,was more bullish, having predicted another 235,000 added in November.

"There's a general realization among businesses that the economic recovery is real, and that since so many of them have cut so sharply, there is now a rush to hire the most skilled workers at this point," Baumohl said before the report came out.

FULL CNNMONEY.COM STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Economy • Jobs
  1. Rocketship

"There's a Revolution Calling,
    Revolution Calling, Revolution Calling You.
    Gotta make a buck doesn't matter who dies".
    Queensryche

December 3, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jim the Honest fixed income trader

@ Protoman and Courtney,
    Blaming the victim is an old tactic of the guilty.
    Don't get wild. You are not guilty. Just enablers who have been marketed to effectively and have not yet seen the light.
    Unemployed only make up 10 percent of population with 25 percent of population being underemployed. They are vulnerable and make an easy target.
    The first rule of predation is to attack the weak. Along with this instinct you have also been conditioned to think unemployed are the troublemakers.
    The monied interests, or real guilty party's have to keep a sizable majority of the population appeased and deluded. It serves their ends.
    For the sizable majority of people whose own personal economy hasn't changed enough to feel real pain. Nothing has changed. This segment is easily herded.They believe they are smart, busy, and special. With just a little comercial marketing they can be kept in line.
    You have joined a special group, who feeling enough pain, is pointing an angry finger at the victim.
    Its ok. This is your unwitting role and helps the puppetmasters tremendously.

December 3, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Protoman

@Jim the honest of blah blah: Be specific please. I don't help the puppetmasters in fact I expose the bs they are pushing. If you have a solution by all means let's hear it. I actually pray for revolution in this country. I suspect I've only got one puppetmaster to go after. Please be specific Jim. How am I enabling, but not all the other sheep here who repeat what Olberman and Cavuto tell them? I'm off to work now. You see work is also known as a job and I suspect many here don't have them. Maybe if we were all working the Govt could go about being corrupt without us caring about it. 🙂 good talk though buddy.

December 3, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • ConservativeLiberal

Did you subtract people over 60 and under 18 from the population total before figuring out the percentage? You might want to remove the ineligible people first. Thanks have a good day. 🙂

December 3, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jim the Honest fixed income trader

Ok
    First, the the apple was a symbol for knowledge.
    Second, Unemployment is not a living wage. Nor is any thing that pays less.
    Third, If you have no job, no money, and no place to go, how could you be any more punished? Except maybe waterboarding or drone strike.
    Take a bite of the crisp Red Apple.

December 3, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff Frank

There's going to come a day, in our busy service oriented, "got to have it now society". The blue collars won't be around any more to do whats being outsourced. Soon, a lot of the "sit and worries", will have to do the work themselves. Maybe its time they take a whiff of what they've been shoveling!

December 3, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mary Powers

I hope this helps someone else. I don't work for these guys. They have great free tool & some you pay for. careerfoo.com. Free info on dealing with unemployment insurance, trade adjustment act grants, job search tools. Hope it helps. Just so tough right now.

December 3, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Elle

The unemployment numbers don't surprise me. Companies typically don't hire during the holiday months. I've been out of work for 6mths and I'm looking everyday, networking, etc. I'm resigned to the fact that I most likely won't secure a new job until after the new year. What I really think needs to be addressed is the fact that the Republican's don't care about us regular people – that is to say they ONLY CARE ABOUT THE "RICH". The idea that they want to pass on tax cuts to the richest of american's is UNCONSCIONABLE. Also, the fact that they don't want to extend unemployment benefits to the people who really need the help/support is just rediculous. Its okay to pass on tax credits to the rich – money we don't have...but they can't help the everyday american that's out of work!!! It was okay to bail out Wall Street and ask the tax payers to pay for it...but its not okay to help the average americans who are struggling to pay bills, mortages, rent, food, etc. I don't recongnize our country anymore. What ever happened to standing up and fighting for what's right. I voted for Obama and I still stand behind that vote, although I realize now that Hillary would of been a much better choice. Obama needs to take the gloves off and deal with the republicans. When is someone going to stand up and represent the middle class? The Republicans aren't capable of putting themselves in "our" shoes. They don't have any empathy and they certainly have NO idea what its like to be scared about your future, not knowing where the money is going to come from to buy food, pay rent, etc. Someone Please Step Up to The Plate!!!

December 3, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sherri W.W.

DONT WANT TO HEAR A WORD Against Pres O!~HE ADDED MORE JOBS THAN W DID IN 8YRS BUT U`ALL VOTED GOP RIGHT BACK IN~AND NOT ONLY DONT GOP SAY 1 WORD ABOUT JOBS "NOW" THEY JUST CUT OFF YOUR UNEMPLOYMENT!~REPUBS SAY "CANT AFFORD IT~GOT TO GET THOSE TAX CUTS FOR OUR RICH BUDDIES!"~AN U AINT SEEN"NOTHING" YET TILL JAN! TOO BAD BUT THOSE REPUBS/TEAPARTY U`ALL WANTED IN HAVE FORGOTTEN YOU NOW~U GOT SOLD A REAL "BILL OF GOODS"BY THOSE FOLK!

December 3, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sherri W.W.

The Commentors who just keep blaming Obama~GEE~WAKE UP WILL YOU? THE NANCY PELOSI U ALL LOVE TO HATE?~WELL THAT LADY~WHO ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT MIDDLE CLASS~HOW MANY OF U KNOW THAT SHE ALONE,MADE EVERYONE IN CONGRESS COME BACK FROM THEIR SUMMER "vacation"TO VOTE THROUGH YOUR UNEMPLOYMENT IN JULY?? HOW many KNOW !~SHE TOLD THEM "NO EXCUSES~BE HERE MONDAY TO VOTE ON IT!"~THINK JOHN BOEHNER WILL DO THAT FOR YOU? LORD~TURN OFF THE DAMN TV AND READ&STUDY BEFORE YOU VOTE AGAINST AMERICA AND FOR REPUB/TP NEXT TIME~IF U SURVIVE THIS TIME THEY ARE IN CONGRESS!GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!~OH~AND MILLIONAIRE TAX CUTS CREATE ZERO JOBS~again TURN OFF THE TV AND THINK!

December 3, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. debramaynard

The adjustable rate mortgage that I had before had me nearly to the brink of bankruptcy because of the never-ending payment increases. Now I have 3.18% fixed rate. I would absolutely recommend "123 Mortgage Refinance" I worked with to anyone I know planning to refinance mortgage.

December 4, 2010 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  10. timll

All the Democrats (Lib's), seem to to forget the the stimulus bill that was pushed through, "because, we have to act fast". They still go back to, It's Bush's Fault! There was better ways to spend this money,(in a common sense way).

December 6, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  11. razzlea

I really hope things get better for those who are unemployed . Eventhough im employed i have my days where i dont like my job and feel guilty because i know there are people who would love to have it .

December 8, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |