Honda eliminating boxy Element
December 4th, 2010

Honda eliminating boxy Element

The Honda Element, popular with dog owners and some types of businesses, will be discontinued after the 2011 model year, American Honda Motor Co. announced Friday.

Introduced in December 2002, the Element started a trend of box-on-wheels design reflected in Toyota's Scion xB and Mitsubishi's Outlander, among others.

"The Element proved that ultimate functionality can often come from thinking inside the box," John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda, said in a press release. "It made boxy vehicle designs cool."

Edmunds.com gave the short-but-tall utility vehicle generally positive reviews.

"Behind that cubist philosophy is a level of versatility that sets it apart from many other small wagons and compact SUVs," the editors wrote of the 2011 model.

The Element was the subject of several recalls: 2003/04, ignition switch mechanism; 2007/08, braking system and stability module; and 2010, transmission shift cable.

Honda said it has sold about 325,000 Elements, but customers are increasingly attracted to crossover SUVs.

Post by:
Filed under: Auto Industry • Honda
  1. Jan Strnad

I'm sorry others find my Element ugly, but screw them. It has the height in the cargo area that I need, it's reliable and fun to drive. Nothing else comes close. I was hoping to upgrade to an Element hybrid but now I won't have the chance. Guess I'll hang onto this one until it dies. RIP Element!

December 4, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. nonconformist

Thank goodness they are not going to put any more of these on the road. These things hurt my eyes to look at them when I'm on the road they are so ugly.

December 4, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Allen Wollscheidt

Yes, yes - I agree wholeheartedly ! ! . HOW could ANYONE stoop to design such a monstrosity ? ? ? . Then, to actually buy one ? ? . tsk, tsk ! !

December 4, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jerry Walker

I bought my Element new in 2003. I now have 158,000+ miles on it and it's never given me a single problem. I've owned many vehicles in my life, but I've never had one I enjoy driving as much as I do the Element, and nothing I've had can match the Elements versitility. I agree, gas mileage isn't that great, but that's a small concern to me. Of all the vehicles I've ever owned, the Element is the most sure footed in all types of weather conditions. I'm sorry Honda won't continue producing the Element, but I do understand that volume is a big driver with manufactures. I just hope mine continues to run for another 158,000 miles.

December 4, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chedar

My wife will not be please if I get a BOX. It looks like a tall matchbox.

December 4, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Peggy Leven

We bought my son an Element when he went off to college. He's had it for 150,000 miles and nine years. Driven it from Michigan to Montana, northern Canada – all over. Never a problem. So much less maintenance than the Mazda Tribute we bought my daughter at the same time. I LOVE the design – it's very popular with artsy-types. I am going to buy one with the Dog Friendly package in the spring to keep in addition to my Mini Cooper. The colors are no longer as fun as they used to be – but if I can get brown, I'll be very excited. I'll admit you have to be a little unconventional to love this car, but the copy-cat "boxes on wheels" are just that – copies! It's like saying something looks "just like a Mercedes". It's either an original – or it's not – in my mind. And, this was the original funky car. Different strokes for different folks. I've always disliked the aesthetics of the CRV. Very ugly.

December 4, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • DOnna

My other car is a Mini also 🙂 You really do need something else with some space if you have a Mini
      The Mini is the most fun I've ever had driving a car.
      Ever

December 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. seriously011

Thank you, Honda.

December 4, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tom

Sorry to see the Element being dicontinued. My schnauzers give Honda a paws down for their decision.

December 4, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jen

I have a 2007 Element. It is the best car I've owned as far as reliability. Not one repair. I have owned in the past a Ford Explorer, a Chevy Blazer, a Dodge Intrepid. The 2007 Element drives just fine, gets good gas mileage and I love that the seats in back fold up making this vehicle almost like a small truck in regards to hauling large items. I would buy this car again.

December 4, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Theresa

Sorry to see the Element go. I have a 2009 and absolutely love it! Wouldn't drive anything else. I personally like not looking like everyone else on the road! RIP Element, you will be missed!

December 4, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. john

340,000 MILES NEED I SAY MORE....

December 4, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. KPT

Have a 2004 Element in Orange – love my car. My kids love it. My dog loves it. My spouse loves it. It's been incredibly reliable, fun to drive and great for everything from hauling kids, to plants, to furniture and especially great on road trips. We'll drive it (and our kids will drive it) until it dies. I'm sorry to see Honda phasing it out. Great car at a great price point. Oh well, I've got mine and I couldn't be more pleased!

December 4, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dan13655

Well, all you naysayers can say what yo want. My 2005 Element has been a wonderful car, so I hate to see the Element go.

December 4, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Charles Stinger

That's too bad they're getting rid of it. People with bad taste need cars too.

December 4, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wulf

Let me guess, you drive a PT Cruiser?

December 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mervyn

Always thought they were ghey. Honda should try buliding trucks. Real trucks, not that ridgeline thing.

December 4, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Wendy

I was attracted FIRST to the design of the Element. Ugly to one is Unique to another. I have a 2004 and will have it, probably, for at least 5 more years. It has been totally relialble, I love the way that the seats can be pulled up for cargo space and love the head room as well as the terrific turning radius. I mourn that Honda has pulled the plug.

December 4, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |