Honda eliminating boxy Element
December 4th, 2010

Honda eliminating boxy Element

The Honda Element, popular with dog owners and some types of businesses, will be discontinued after the 2011 model year, American Honda Motor Co. announced Friday.

Introduced in December 2002, the Element started a trend of box-on-wheels design reflected in Toyota's Scion xB and Mitsubishi's Outlander, among others.

"The Element proved that ultimate functionality can often come from thinking inside the box," John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda, said in a press release. "It made boxy vehicle designs cool."

Edmunds.com gave the short-but-tall utility vehicle generally positive reviews.

"Behind that cubist philosophy is a level of versatility that sets it apart from many other small wagons and compact SUVs," the editors wrote of the 2011 model.

The Element was the subject of several recalls: 2003/04, ignition switch mechanism; 2007/08, braking system and stability module; and 2010, transmission shift cable.

Honda said it has sold about 325,000 Elements, but customers are increasingly attracted to crossover SUVs.

Post by:
Filed under: Auto Industry • Honda
  1. JC

What I'm noticing here is that people who drive Elements love them. I bought a 2004 that was a dream until I rolled it (my fault, btw) five years later. It died to save me. So I went and bought a 2010 and haven't regretted it for a nanosecond. I'm devastated they won't be made anymore. I pictured myself driving this one forever and ten or so years from now buying another one...for the next 50 years. I'm incredibly bummed.

December 4, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. David Laustsen

Big mistake Honda. Some of us appreciate the fantastic headroom and the vehicle's ability to fit into small parking spaces. My German Shepherd, Waldo (the wonder dog) is heartbroken. The Element is so easy to clean with the rubber floors with satellite radio and AWD. it is a perfect urban vehicle. Some people around here have two of them. So what if it looks like a toaster. Its reliable, fun to drive and you can haul lots of stuff.

December 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mr. Bill...Clinton

Finally – the end of the Box! Where's Monica?

December 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lement

Element Replacement

December 4, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lement

Element Replacement is Honda Crossroad

December 4, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ElementLover

I have had my element for 3 years. Best decision I ever made. I camp, travel and own a dog and could not ask for a better multi-purpose vehicle. The gas mileage is comparable to any other SUV in its class, but the features beat any car out there! How many vehilces have the option of a tailgate that converts into a tent, a spare tire cover that converts into a table, and seats that hang from your ceiling? Honda is making a horrible decision to discontinue the Element.

December 4, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. tony

Honda's are the best cars ever. I had my second Acura legend trouble free for 17 years, and then someone came to my house asking for me to please sell it to them.

December 4, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Randy

I bought my 2004 Honda Element new. It's been a great vehicle. I love it for the ability to haul stuff; whether it's my kids bicycles, stuff for work, moving household goods or bringing materials home from The Home Depot. My only complaint is that these early models were a little under-powered. In the 2005 or 2006 model, Honda gave the Element ten additional horsepower. I hate see Honda discontinue this model.

December 4, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ElementalLady

Oh no!!! I was waiting for them to decide to make a HYBRID Element so I could trade my 2003 orange bread box on wheels for a hybrid one, with the sunroof for the surf board I was going to buy for myself. This is terrible! Don't they realize the Element's story wasn't finished yet??

I have been a Honda girl since 1977. Honda has never done me wrong. My Element has 105,000 on it now and not one problem ever.

December 4, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bub

Too bad I will never get to try one out. My Civic is 18 years old and only has 210,000 miles on it and total lifetime repairs have been less than $1,000. I would have considered an Element if nd when the Civic finally wears out.

December 4, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joe

Thank you Honda for bringing it to my knowledge that you are stopping production of
    element in 2011. I have a 2003 Element but so far it is the best car I have ever owned. Good I have just bought a two garage house next year am going to buy a 2011 Element for my retirement I can drive the 2003 element until I retire in the next 10 years by then my 2011 Element will be resting in the garage. Honda just keep on making the brake pads and tires because that is all I need from you for my Elements

December 4, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jac

Good by Element! What an ugly car. Now if they will scrap the Ridgeline which is ugly and a piece of crap (I own one). My next car will be another Toyota, should have never switched in the first place.

December 4, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Marc

I'm sure it's a great car for some people and serves its purpose well. To me though, it looks like a toaster with all the aerodynamics of a brick. I wouldn't trust it over 50 mph or on a curve.

December 4, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SweetStuff

I love my Kiwi Element, it has the greatest stereo and so much room for everything I ever need to haul. Everyone that gets a ride is amazed at how roomy it is and how much fun it is to drive. It gets great gas mileage for an SUV. Hey fellow Element owners, only we know how great it is and were smart enough to have only 2 kids and not have to drive a van...right??

December 4, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Frank -Iowa

I'm glad you all think it's fugly 'cause I plan to keep mine running fine for a long time! It's been a great trouble free car ('03). You'll just have to tell someone else who cares that you think it's ugly..

December 4, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marc

Buy American, Frank.

December 4, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Marc, the Honda Element is made in East Liberty, Ohio.

December 5, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |