Honda eliminating boxy Element
December 4th, 2010

Honda eliminating boxy Element

The Honda Element, popular with dog owners and some types of businesses, will be discontinued after the 2011 model year, American Honda Motor Co. announced Friday.

Introduced in December 2002, the Element started a trend of box-on-wheels design reflected in Toyota's Scion xB and Mitsubishi's Outlander, among others.

"The Element proved that ultimate functionality can often come from thinking inside the box," John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda, said in a press release. "It made boxy vehicle designs cool."

Edmunds.com gave the short-but-tall utility vehicle generally positive reviews.

"Behind that cubist philosophy is a level of versatility that sets it apart from many other small wagons and compact SUVs," the editors wrote of the 2011 model.

The Element was the subject of several recalls: 2003/04, ignition switch mechanism; 2007/08, braking system and stability module; and 2010, transmission shift cable.

Honda said it has sold about 325,000 Elements, but customers are increasingly attracted to crossover SUVs.

Post by:
Filed under: Auto Industry • Honda
  1. Sheila

I LOVE MY HONDA ELEMENT! I was probably among the first twenty people in St. Louis to own one after they were introduced. I cannot tell you how very disappointed I am at this news. I am a professional musician. This car has THE BEST sound system of any car I have driven since I purchase the Element. I love the room. It is convienent, and not a gas guzzler. Yes, I would change a few things...but not get rid of this model SUV. I am SO DISAPPOINTED.

December 4, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. frogpond

Too bad, glad I've already got my Element. I love the way it looks compared to all the eggmobiles. It's roomy enough for moving furniture, great for my pets and my gardening needs, gets me up the drive to the mountain cabin and I never lose it in a crowded parking lot!

December 4, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dan Med

haha the comments are too funny to read

December 4, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jp

I had two elements. They Are great for small biz, but I had to trade out of my 2007 because I had my catalytic convertor stolen twice in 6 weeks. Almost $5k to repair. So I said no more, thatband I did not need the room anymore.

December 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. KSOT

My 1993 Chevrolet Suburban 6.5 Turbo-diesel with 245,000 miles (and still going strong) gets an overall 18mpg. Longevity through maintenance. The key to success with so many things in life. My 2004 Toyota Prius with 108,000 miles on it (also showing no signs of tiring), gets an overall 44 mpg. The best of both worlds. I use them when the situation calls for the appropriate vehicle. The Element and its ilk CAN last and provide their designed functionality. LOOKS, who cares, FUNCTION is the reason for transportation.

December 4, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tom

Honda

Have you lost your nerve? Or are you just too greedy because Element sales are not what you expected. I love the Element, easy to clean, good on gas and I do not a big honking Expedition to drive around in. My schnauzer dogs give Honda a paws down on their decision.

December 4, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Woodsong

About time!!!!

December 4, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Susan

Love Hondas- have driven several different models for over 30 years. I love my Element- it has taken us through high school band years all the way to moving into college dorm life. Best vehicle ever for a family with active kids. What are they thinking???

December 4, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Oodoodanoo

I never thought people would go for cube on wheels. But they did, and I wondered if they could be sold a 60-foot-wide parachute on wheels.

December 4, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Snowman

My wife owns a 2003 Element and absolutely loves it. She has never had any problems with it. She loves the fact that it doesn't have carpet in it and you can haul just about anything it. Sad day at Honda for dropping this great little vehicle from it's lineup. We were going to buy another one in a couple of years. I guess we will have to find something else that is so usable.

December 4, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. oldfolkie

Bad move Honda, I have bought two with a natural gas Civic sandwiched between. It brought me to Honda and if you don't have another car as versatile as the Element I will leave Honda. To me it was this generations Volkwagon Bus, only a lot more reliable.

December 4, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Laura

I LOVE my 2008 Orang Element! My husband drives an '05. They are the most roomy, versatile cars we've ever owned. My husband is an amateur astronomer and has removed both back seats so he can haul his telescopes and equipment around with ease. And there's NO other SUV/Crossover (that I know of) that allows me to roll by bike into the back withOUT removing the front wheel. PLUS there's no other 4-cylinder SUV with that kind of cargo room. Our two BIG dogs love it too. Sad face.

December 4, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Daniel

Crappy, useless car anyway. Looks unsafe, too.

December 4, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

The Element has always had a good safety rating. I survived getting t-boned in one. So, what were you saying again?

December 4, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phew, Daniel...

it's just as well we have the IIHS to tell us which cars are safe. Imagine if we left it to some random idiot on the internet!

December 5, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. Liger Woodz

Popular with Dog Owners? According to who ? What kind of statistic is that?

December 4, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

I believe some dog-owners group actually voted the Element the best car for dog owners. The Element has no carpet, so your dog's muddy paws or hair can be easily cleaned out. They make an accessory pack that includes a little dog bed/tent that you can tuck in the back.

December 4, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Roto

Must admit, I'm GLAD. These drivers drive like S... Ugly looking too!

December 4, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |