Shark experts began arriving in the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh on Tuesday to investigate what led to four attacks over the last week that killed a German woman and injured three snorkelers, officials said.
The behavioral experts will form an advisory team to assess and advise on the best course of action following the attacks, according to Jochen Van Lysebettens, general operations manager of the Red Sea Diving College in Sharm el-Sheikh.
The tab for the expert advise is being picked up by the Ministry of Tourism. Van Lysebettens said the reason behind the shark attacks needs to be determined in order to stop it.
Sharm el-Sheikh beach will remain closed until the shark responsible for Sunday's fatal attack is found, according to Egypt's Interior Ministry. A 70-year-old woman, a regular guest at the resort, was snorkeling near a reef on Sunday when she was attacked, he said.
She called for help, and a lifeguard brought her to shore, but she had lost too much blood and resuscitation efforts failed, Van Lysebettens said. The woman's arm and leg were severed, he said.
After the incident, the Chamber of Diving and Watersports called on its members in the region "to stop any snorkeling activities happening from any boats or shore." The chamber is under the umbrella of the Egyptian Tourist Federation.