December 7th, 2010

Gotta Watch: Kettle charity, Pacino's sober decisions, kids get 'Urkeled'

What's in your kettle? There are still quite a few days left in the holiday season, and Salvation Army bell-ringers are receiving generous but unusual donations. A few days ago, it was reported that a rare coin was anonymously placed in a kettle in Dallas, and in Pennsylvania, the organization received a diamond ring and wedding band wrapped in a dollar bill.

'Dog Day Afternoon' without Al Pacino? It almost happened. On "Larry King Live," the legendary actor said he turned down the iconic role but reconsidered because he reread the script sober. Pacino looked back on his most celebrated roles, such as Tony Montana in "Scarface," and said few people realize that the line "Say hello to my little friend" came from Oliver Stone, who wrote the script.

And ... Michael Corleone speaks - What’s an Al Pacino interview without a question about the Corleones? Here, Pacino talks about why so many people relate to “The Godfather.” The clip is long, but it’s a must-see for Pacino fans.

You've been 'Urkeled': A middle school principal in Tennessee is calling out the fashion police on students wearing baggy pants. Offenders get their droopy drawers zip-tied so they look like nerdy Steve Urkel from the TV sitcom "Family Matters," and they have their photos posted on a wall of shame.

Post by:
Filed under: Education • Gotta Watch • Holidays • Movies • Pennsylvania • Showbiz • Texas
  1. Greycat

URKELING IS A GREAT IDEA! I have seen kids with their pants so low I wonder how they stay up. ( i have been tempted to step on the dragging cuffs so that they come all the way down.)

December 7, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

So what happens with the lawsuit when a kid has to go to the bathroom and can't get him pants down in time.

December 7, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • KB

Ken- I LMFAO!!! then agree with the court to buy him new pants 😛

December 7, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • nutellas

all u gotta do is buy a the CORRECT pair of pants and WEAR THEM PROPERLY. problem solved. if you are a size 34, why would you buy a size 40 and show ur undies like if it was a heniz commercial?
      PULL UP UR PANTS YOU BUMS

December 7, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • RuFkngKdngMe

They are not zip tying across the button and zipper in the front of the pants.

Fantastic idea this Urkeling.

December 7, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • IEK

Using "u" and "ur" instead of "you" and "your" is the internet equivalent of baggy pants.

December 7, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Draggy saggy pants? Maybe the kid is an junior plumber. Now if you'll pardon me I need to bleach my eyes...

December 7, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob U

Ken, thats a good American; thanks for jumping right to the lawsuit.

I think Urkeling seems good-natured and effective.

December 7, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Math Teacher

Too bad that the teacher speaking can't do math...
      "over 80% reduction from 80 infractions per week" would be less than 16.
      Glad he's not teaching my kids.

December 7, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • amanda

I sooo agree with you. I think it is stupid to wear your pants that low. I think this idea should be used in every school.

December 7, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • honest&practicle

wearing baggy and sagging pants began in the prisons because the inmates were not allowed to have belts, thus their pants always sagged. So, they want to be like prisoners.

December 7, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

I wore decently baggy pants as a teenager. Always sat 'em where they're supposed to be with a belt though. I never got the whole hangin' off the butt look. Always found it a bit comical. I can't even figure out how they keep 'em up half the time. It's gravity defying...

December 7, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • honda919

hahah, me too!

December 8, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ken

I should be URKELED..."his" not "him"

December 7, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Really are you serious

Only blacks at this school? must be the south...

December 7, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ton

@AteacherinTX, bonehead. Maybe the schools is in a predominantly black neighborhood? Just like you'd expect to see a predominantly white student body in a predominantly white neighborhood.

December 7, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • just me

this story is out of memphis,tn. i just moved from there. the demographics are leaning heavy toward black majority. it is not uncommon to see a school almost exclusively black. i commend this principal for taking a stand when gangs dominate the young.

as a side note....most teachers there cannot even form a complete sentence. principals are still employed w/ felonies. the city is in a state of chaos. I was actually going to be a teacher and did my student teaching with a third grade class. the children organized a gang, a very structured organization at that! i will give it to them, they did not discriminate 😉 but for that age group to think in that manner was disturbing. i promptly changed my major.

December 7, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dustin

@Ken, it's called a zipper... and most guys jeans have pretty long zippers on them. I'm positive it won't be a problem for you

December 7, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ATeacherinTX

Sounds like bullying to me. Especially the wall of shame.

December 7, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trina001

I am so glad that someone else sees this! It is not appropriate for people in positions of authority and power to be ridiculing our school kids. I think the baggy pants is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen and would probably do something like sew my kid's underwear waistband to his pants waistband to stop it. As a parent, it is my job to make my kid a laughingstock... and not the school's job! (Complete sarcasm in the last sentence.)

December 7, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Random Student Teacher

I agree, it is just a reason for the students to bully each other! I mean come on! What was this principal thinking? I think power hungry? I mean we teach tolerance and this is crossing the line! Sad to see that "admins" of schools are making a wall of shame too! What is this world coming to????

December 7, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brain

This is not bullying, there are rules, the kids don't follow them and the parents don't care, the schools have to do something.

December 7, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • amanda

If you think it should not be done, then maybe you should teach your children how to dress. Teach them what's right or what's wrong. Maybe...MAYBE it is not the students..maybe it is the parents.

December 7, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • honest&practicle

December 7, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • honest&practicle

Teachers like you are raising our children to be overly sensitive, dissrespectful, selfish, wimps. Are you Kidding me?? This is the real world, if you think this is "bullying", come into the real world with the rest of us and I'll show you bullying.

December 7, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cheryl

Well, they ARE already breaking the rules and exhibiting a callous disregard for the school's code of dress; as a teacher I would think you'd want them to respect your authority significantly more than they apparently do.

December 7, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ?????

As far as the rings for the Salvation Army is concerned, looks like someone is getting a divorce for Christmas this year. LOL

December 7, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joshua

This is cynical. Didn't we just have an anti-bullying movement a couple weeks ago? Now teenagers, who already have to deal with enough emotional problems, are being shamed for harmlessly wearing what's in style.

December 7, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • JC-VA

It is because comments like yours and parents "Benedictine" their kids, we are going where we are going as a culture. Who care what a freaking teenager thinks..? they don't think anyways, and nothing good comes out of their brains... and kids with pants that way disgust me, they look like BUMBS...

December 7, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • CommonSense

This isn't a situation where a certain party is being suppressed for being themselves, they are being punished because its as if they aren't wearing pants at all, they are wearing leg bracelets.

December 7, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • intelligenceinnc

Spoken like a parent of a bully.

December 7, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • CommonSense

@int What?

These children are purposely misbehaving and you're suggesting that we not punish them? These kids were already being punished for this and I'm sure they were offered the choice of being picked up by their parents or being "Urkeled." Even if they didn't have the choice, they chose to disobey the School's policy and were willing to accept the risk. This is all just a part of growing up. They make mistakes and they learn.

Furthermore, bullying is defined as the act of intimidating a weaker person to make them do something. In other words, its forced on them, regardless of their opinion. This is much different from the punk that picks on those smaller than him because he feels insecure about himself.

Oh and by the way, I was the shortest kid in nearly all of my classes and I was bullied. But I got fed up and started working out and now people no longer mess with me. If I ever see see some bullies picking on someone, I will tell them to stop or I will force them to.

December 8, 2010 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. Howie

I think the baggy pants look ridiculous, but this humiliation treatment is going WAY to far. If someone wanted to touch my person to attach zip ties for ANY reason when I was in school, they had better have been prepared for a beatdown and a lawsuit. What an invasion of personal space. How inappropriate!

December 7, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • blah9999

What is it with people and having someone contact your "person." Damn, lighten up. It's not like they're "touching your junk" or anything. And it's not even skin-skin contact.

December 7, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tater

So my guess is that you would have raised your fist to the teachers, struck at them, for them enforcing the school's dress code policy? At which point you'd be detained and possibly arrested (depending on age).

Yeah, that court case would have gone over really well.
      Judge: Sir, what happened?
      You: They tried to pull my pants up, so I hit them in the mouth.
      Judge: Were your pants falling down?
      You: Um...yes, but–
      Judge: Did you try to pull them up? Even when asked?
      You: No, but I–
      Judge: So you admit you wouldn't pull up your own pants in a public place, thereby breaking the school's dress code and coming close to indecent exposure on a state-run facility?
      You: NO! I'm just dressing by the style...

December 7, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Howie, unfortunately you are a victim of the hypersensitive liberal educational setting these days. It's no wonder kids are growing up like they are nowadays. Teachers can't do a damned thing without risk of getting sued by arrogant kids and their helicopter parents.

December 7, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Treva

love, love love the "urkeling" I WISH I COULD DO IT WITH MU HIGH SCHOOL KIDS

December 7, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jay

Whats with the looking white, acting white, thinking white comment on the baggy pants video? Not sue what he was trying to say. Does he want his students to act/think white? Sorry I don't get that, white kids have just as much trouble with dress codes as blacks. They are kids, kids rebel. If its that big of a issue why not put a uniform code into place

December 7, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • blah9999

Racist. calling you out

December 7, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Coal24

The comment was clearly "looking right, thinking right, acting right." It is not a racist or stereotypical comment. Look at the video there is clearly some sort of a dress code. Kids do not only wear polos, button-ups, and khakis; they are clearly in violation of the dress code when this punishment is enforced.

December 7, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not sure that's what he said...

I listened to it a few times, and I think he said, "there's something about looking RIGHT..." I thought it was "white" at first, but it certainly makes more sense if it's "right."

December 7, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katie

He's not saying looking white, acting white, and thinking white. What he's saying is "Looking RIGHT, acting RIGHT, and thinking RIGHT." It isn't about race, you just misheard what he said.

December 7, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Catsnkites

I'm pretty darn sure he was saying "Look RIGHT, Act RIGHT and Think RIGHT"

There is a school dress code. Sending kids home to change doesn't work because they don't come back for the day (at least at my school). Making the parents bring them a change of clothes isn't fair ... so, this is a way to deal with the issue without interrupting learning.

I school near me started making the kids wear bright orange jump suits as a consequence for inappropriate clothing and pretty soon the kids were deliberately wearing the offending clothing ... they did it to force the school to spend money. Kids also damaged the jump suits.

Zip ties are cheap, Don't damage the clothing or kid, kids can still go to the bathroom and the kids can't damage school property.

What a great idea!

December 7, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Allison

To be fair first time I thought he said "white" not "right." The sound wasn't the best, at least not on my speakers.

December 7, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ruby

A man hears what he want to hear.

December 7, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

The people here calling me a racist are way out of line. Guess thats what libs do, play the race card every chance you get. You make me sick

December 7, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Christi

I am all for urkeling the baggy pants violators. Hurray for the principal with the ooomph to do it.

December 7, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. gordanfreeman

Why not ban tank-tops, mulletts, bell-bottoms, long hair, anything. Just because you don't like it does not mean it should be banned. Bunch of nazis.

December 7, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pitt Cairn

As I said below – it emulates prison garb. The other stuff you mention doesn't.

December 7, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Bunch of Nazis? lol. It's called a dress code. Maybe you're too young to know what that is. Oh, and be prepared for more "Nazis" when you get into the working world. Unless you're self-employed, you're going to have certain minimum standards to abide by. That's society. Deal with it.

December 7, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mamabug (now with more Christmas Spirit!)

Yeah. It's called a dress code. If it's really *that* big a bone of contention, one can always home school their child.
      Oh! and most school do ban tank-tops. BTW:
      "Why not ban tank-tops, mulletts, bell-bottoms, long hair, anything. Just because you don't like it does not mean it should be banned. Bunch of nazis"
      please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

December 7, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. gordanfreeman

No wonder people sayschool is like prison grow up people.

December 7, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. CanNorth

I'm sure the students can do whatever they want outside of school, but in the school and around the people they are learning with, seems like they should follow dress codes and adhere to rules. It's not a cultural attack or racist thing, its putting effort where effort is needed. I bet you more people respect these students with their pants on right then half way.

December 7, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |