Police: Hollywood publicist Ronni Chasen was victim of random robbery
December 8th, 2010

Police: Hollywood publicist Ronni Chasen was victim of random robbery

Hollywood publicist Ronni Chasen was the random victim of a robbery by Harold Martin Smith, who committed suicide when confronted by police
days later, Beverly Hills Detective Sgt. Mike Publicker said Wednesday.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Ronni Chasen
  1. Veritas

At least he had the courtesy to kill himself. better than supporting him through years of appeals and whatever time he would have gotten

December 8, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. susieq

Random robbery victim? What did I miss??? From the beginning the police reported her purse,jewelry and credit cards where all still in the car. Not a robbery. Then they say the man that killed himself was just wanted for questioning and that the gun he used DID NOT match the gun used in her death, and then today it DOES match??? What is wrong with this picture??? Why haven't we heard anymore about the reports that were made about the hollywood mafia being after Randy Quaid, and that they could have been involved in other hollywood deaths??? This latest three sentence explaination by CNN really doesn't answer anything, it only leaves us with more questions. Try again, we aren't buying this one.

December 8, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. silentbob

only 3 sentences, but you're forgetting the picture: 1000 words. Beats the SF chronicle, which never shows
    photos of anything.

December 8, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LG Wilson

BULL! So I guess Bev Hills PD wrapped up this case.

December 8, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. PCR

This was anything but random. I know another publicist who also serves as the local drug dealer for all of her clients – many of whom are famous. I am not saying that this is the case here, but it makes you think what would happen if that person fell behind in paying their drug connection. Things could get ugly.

December 8, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tony F.

Just some random violence; nothing to see here. Move along, now. Stop asking questions or I'll run you in. Move along...

December 8, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dylan

If you believe that then you must still believe in Santa Clause or the Tooth Fairy. That guy didn't have a car. He rode a bike! This is a bunch of bull and it seems obvious that the BH Police had a close the case because the residents are in fear.

December 8, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Elaine

oh please. a random execution style killing? LAPD you are desperate. that guy may have done the deed, but someone else was behind this.

December 8, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MrsFizzy

And I'm sure it was just a coincidence that People magazine was quoting her hairdresser saying that she had underworld connections he couldn't talk about...!

December 8, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LK2

How did they determine that? The man killed himself! Surely he didn't mutter the words "Yeah, I killed her because I robbed her" before he blew his brains out. And most robbers won't shoot FIVE times! This sounds like a direct hit by someone very angry!

I'm not buying this. And why so little detail about it?

December 8, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. brulabrits

police confront a suspect who commits suicide in front of them...any witnesses other than the police to this 'suicide'?
    I smell a rat!

December 8, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. work of art

This is RIDICUOUS. It has been widely reported that her possessions were intact at the scene of the crime. What is the REAL STORY ????

December 8, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ChaCha

Go to KTLA.com and get the REAL story! Random??!! Puhleeze.....5 bullets to the chest is NOT a random robbery but the LAPD are not going to tell us everything until they catch the guy that hired the hitman...........

December 8, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BrownCouch

SNIFF SNIFF – I smell a cover up of sorts. The previous stories when this incident occurred went into great detail of her last steps before her death, even stating (as Jerry stated) her purse still in the car untouched, and now all this story says is "victim of random robbery?" I don't buy it. I agree it was a hired hit. Angry producer? Who knows? My guess would have been an out of work B actor who didn't feel his name was getting out there quickly enough. We all could be wrong, but that' s guess anyway.

December 8, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JohnRJ08

I suppose this is possible. I can see some lunatic on meth following a Mercedes late at night and shooting the driver. But the person committing the crime would had to have been out of his head. When you shoot someone driving a car, there is no way to predict where it's going to go or how fast. You can rob a person who is sitting in flaming wreckage. I got the feeling when I first heard about this crime that it was a thrill killing of some sort. Too much overkill.

December 8, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |