University of Florida head football coach Urban Meyer steps down
December 8th, 2010

University of Florida head football coach Urban Meyer steps down

Urban Meyer, head coach of the University of Florida football team, will step down after the Gators' January bowl game, Athletics Director Jeremy Foley said Wednesday afternoon.

Meyer will leave Florida with six seasons under his belt. He captured two National Championships, two Southeastern Conference Championships, three SEC Eastern Division crowns and led UF to six January bowl games in a row, gatorzone.com reported.

He was named Sporting News and Sports Illustrated “Coach of the Decade” in December of 2009.

Meyer will remain Florida’s head coach through the Outback Bowl in Tampa on New Year’s Day, the school said in a statement.

“I have been a Division I football coach for the last 25 years and, during that time, my primary focus has been helping my teams win titles,” Meyer said.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, and I am a fierce competitor to my core. At this time in my life, however, I appreciate the sacrifices my 24/7 profession has demanded of me, and I know it is time to put my focus on my family and life away from the field. The decision to step down was a difficult one.

“But after spending more than two decades motivating and celebrating the young men I’ve been so proud to coach, I relish the opportunity to cheer for my three terrific kids as they compete in their own respective sports. I know how fortunate I am to be in a position to make this choice and to have a family that is as loving and supportive as my amazing wife and children have always been.”

Last December, Meyer announced that he was stepping down due to health concerns. But a day later, he reconsidered and said that he would instead take a leave of absence. He returned to his position in time for the 2010 season.

- CNN's Brett Roegiers contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: College football • Sports
  1. george

he should be sure and thank Ron Zook for building the program he won with.

December 8, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

You are correct!! Folks in Gainesville are well aware of that fact, believe me.

December 8, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DUUUUUUDE

NCAA investigation in 5...4...3...2...1

pretty soon the whole SEC will be on probation.

December 8, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Anything to find a reason why they win the national championship each year, even with different universities.

December 8, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dawg Gone

Not UGA – Coach Richt, he’s squeaky clean – suspended his best running back for a traffic ticket.

December 8, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Stoops

Here comes Stoops....

December 8, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DannyB

Tebow in Denver. Check. McDaniels fired in Denver. Check. Next head coach.....

December 8, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DUUUUUUDE

Just depends on which one is willing to spend the most money that year...'sorry but the money at Auburn was too good.'

December 8, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Top speed in the country plus top recruiting classes every year. Get real.

December 8, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • C-rod

wow. you did not even quote the line that was already taken out of context correctly.

what he "supposedly" said was "the money was too much" which means absolutely nothing unless you have the whole sentence it was used in AND the context in which it was said. Most believe that the comment was about the fact that Auburn was closer to his family (in GA) and that they could not afford to travel to MSU every week for games.
      Others believe that it was about the fact taht someone told him that his dad may have asked for money and he said that issue of money was too much for him to handle so he was not going there, but to Auburn instead
      regardless
      the NCAA has that comment and has investigated it specifically. And (wait for it) FOUND NOTHING TO IT. and (get ready) Cleared Cam to play.

so suck it. 😉

December 8, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bababooey

Quitter.

December 8, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. PSU fan

Maybe Urban should look across the field on January 1st to understand what a real coach does.

December 8, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Who's had the better record over the past 10 years?

December 8, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • PSU fan

Who's had the better career? None other then JoePa..........he sets the standard for all coaches, bar none.

December 8, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • PSU fan

Let me know when Urban reaches 400 wins, I won't hold my breath.

December 8, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • buffsfan

JoPa has done a great job over the years. But it's time to step aside. He can barely talk articulately. Isn't there anything else that he can do to satisfy himself?

December 8, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • PSU fan

Joe has earned the right to retire any way he wants........unlike what FSU did to Bobby Bowden.

December 8, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Urban Meyer: 2 national championships in the last 6 years.
      Joe Pateno: NO national championships in the last 24 years. Great coach past his prime.

December 8, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • brian

@observer...match, set and game. Applause
      @PSU...does it hurt to sit now?

December 8, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. George Sales

Thank you, Urban, as a Gator alum you've given us much to be proud of! All the best to you and your family. Gator Nation will survive and thrive!!!

December 8, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • gaturds

once again, whatever! and the only 'nation' is the Raider Nation. I'm sick of all these crappy little schools adopting the 'nation'

December 8, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DUUUUUUDE

Top speed in the country...maybe they should use that to run from the police and there wouldn't have been 30 football players arrested over the last couple of years. Maybe they should graduate some of those players and there wouldn't be 9.6% unemployment.

December 8, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

I can understand why you are SOOO tired of seeing SEC teams as the best in the nation every year. Looks like it will happen again this year in addition to the Heisman Trophy.

December 8, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Buckeye fan

As hard as this is for me to say after what he did against my Buckeyes he is one of the best coaches I have seen in my lifetime. I may have hated him at times after certain games but I always respected him. He always seemed to be a class act, a good coach and a great scout/recruiter.

Best of luck Coach!

December 8, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rob

That’s it, he will follow T-Bone to wherever and they’ll win lots of games and marry the Palin girls…Get over it, he faked quitting before just to get a big raise, he’s a whiner and complaining cry-baby; the talent pool in FL and lack of standards has made every no class coach in last 25 years look like a genius!

December 8, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Hugh

All these experts. Most likely is a health issue, but we really do not know at this point. I am no Florida fan, But i think what he has comng back next year etc has nothing to do with his retiring.
    Why do poeple have to shoot a person down at a time like this. Wait till you know the facts.
    Someone always finds fault with schdules. We have it here with JoePa. All teams have the cupcakes, Nowadays with money concerns is just a fact of life,

December 8, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JoePA

Ummm... Winningest Active Coach?? Pretty sure Joe Paterno has that record by a longshot. Good job with the fact check CNN

December 8, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • PSU fan

For all colleges it's John Gagliardi. For Division 1 JoePa by a mile

December 8, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

CNN is right if you base winningest coach on win percentage.

December 8, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dave

See you in Ann Arbor, Coach!

December 8, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • PSU fan

I hope they keep Rich Rod for a long long time.

December 8, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |