Wednesday's intriguing people
December 8th, 2010

Wednesday's intriguing people

Keith Fitzhugh

The one-time undrafted free agent defensive back for the Jets could have had the opportunity of a lifetime: playing in the NFL and possibly the Super Bowl if, as some people predict, the New York team makes it that far.

Because the team has been dealing with injuries, the Jets looked to Fitzhugh (above) to help fill the spot. But the Mississippi State grad said no, because he has a steady job as a rail conductor and couldn't risk what would happen if he was with the Jets for only a few weeks since he supports his parents.

"I told them I'm very thankful for the opportunity," Fitzhugh told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. "But right now, being that it would be for just a couple weeks, I feel that I'd rather stay with a secure company and job, somewhere I know I could have long-term employment."

Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl

Family members confirmed that a recently released Taliban video includes images of the U.S. soldier captured 18 months ago in Afghanistan.

Lt. Col. Timothy Marsano, a spokesman for the Bergdahl family, said no one is certain when the images were taken.

Bergdahl was 23 when he disappeared from his combat outpost in southeastern Afghanistan's Paktika province. He is from Blaine County, Idaho, just outside Hailey.

Ann Stanczyk

The 49-year-old Queens woman says she was humiliated and beaten by two New York cops in a dispute over dog droppings - and has the photos to prove the abuse, according to the New York Daily News.

"They punch me in my face. They punch me in my breast. They punch me in my stomach," she told the newspaper.

Court papers indicate that police accused Stanczyk of causing a ruckus by yelling at the officers to leave her alone. They also said she locked her hands in front of her to avoid arrest.

The Polish immigrant filed a complaint with the Civilian Complaint Review Board and plans to sue.

1. robert

The football thing that was a smart move sayn no the jets. lady arguing with police maybe she should watch snl how to prevent from gettn your ass kicked by a cop

December 8, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. john

I'm a college student and the opportunity to play in the NFL would be a dream. Here is one thing to think about. Sure he would make a ton of money quickly, but one hit in the wrong place could paralyze him for the rest of his life and his parents would have to take care of him. There was a player for the Buffalo Bills who had that happen to him in the last couple of years. Like someone said before, he may enjoy being a railroad conductor. I wish that people would be talking about him and not about Tony Parker getting divorced or who was with who last weekend, cheated on their wife, ect....

December 8, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jimzcarz

This helps my faith in America.

December 8, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Amy J

Very, very responsible, Keith Fitzhugh. What a son.

Also, about Ann Stancyzk, isn't not curbing your dog nothing but a fine? Was she not speaking English or something? Abuse of power, for sure.

December 8, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Chuck

BigGameJames Actually your the person missing the point. There were 3 people mentioned in this article, A number of people posted favorable postings about one person and his football decision, othewrs responded about a dignbat and her dog story but NOBODY responded to the mention of the soldier. If anyone needs to "get a grip" it is you.

December 9, 2010 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. Will

Parents take note, this is what your child so be seeing on television. A person whose values evoke what it means to be an American, who holds family and others in high regard and is not wanting to show off or make sure he is the center of attention. I am so proud to see someone of Mr Fitzhughs' character on television. Thank You CNN, we need more of this from you. Our children and the world never get to see these types of individual Americans because most people do not think they are news worthy (FOX/MSNBC). These are the people (real people not hype) that we need to be showing the world. We used to do this kind of reporting all the time, to help ourselves and others understand what should be important to them. Sometime back we chose to stop reporting these type of stories and these people are out there in everyday life actually choosing to support family values and our country.

December 9, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. Magnus

Keith is a real hero in my book. This country needs more young people like him...

December 10, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |