Jets suspend coach who tripped player
December 13th, 2010

Jets suspend coach who tripped player

[Updated at 9:22 p.m.] The New York Jets have suspended strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi through the 2010 season's playoffs for intentionally tripping a Miami Dolphins player during Sunday's Jets-Dolphins game, the Jets said on their website.

The Jets said they suspended Alosi (pictured) without pay and fined him $25,000 for tripping Dolphins rookie cornerback Nolan Carroll on the Jets' sideline as Carroll was covering a punt in the third quarter of Miami's 10-6 victory.

"After reviewing the facts and consulting with the league office, we determined that this was the most appropriate discipline," Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum said in a post on the Jets' site. "I have spoken with Sal. He understands the severity of his actions and has apologized to all parties involved in the incident.

"There is no place in the game for this type of behavior and his conduct falls disappointingly short of our expectations for anyone associated with the New York Jets. I have also reminded all members of the organization with sideline access that it is both a priority and their responsibility to maintain a safe environment."

Earlier Monday, Alosi told reporters that he would accept “whatever disciplinary actions the league or the team comes down to.”

At a briefing with reporters before the suspension was announced, Jets head coach Rex Ryan said he wanted to apologize to  Carroll and the Dolphins.

"That’s a thing that has no business in this league or anywhere else. Sal made a huge mistake. He knows that. He’s apologized for it," Ryan said.

FULL STORY

[Initial post, 5:49 p.m. ET] New York Jets strength coach Sal Alosi has apologized a second day for intentionally tripping a Miami Dolphins player during their game Sunday. Now he’s waiting to hear whether he’ll be punished.

Alosi, who tripped Dolphins rookie cornerback Nolan Carroll on the Jets’ sideline as Carroll was trying to cover a Dolphins punt in the third quarter, told reporters Monday that he wasn’t thinking during the play.

“If I could go back and do it again, I sure as heck would take a step back. It was just a situation where I wasn’t thinking,” Alosi said during a news conference Monday afternoon at the Jets’ facility in Florham Park, New Jersey.

Carroll, covered by two Jets players, was running along the sideline toward the Jets’ punt returner when the incident happened at the New Meadowlands Stadium in New Jersey. Video shows Carroll was out of bounds and trying to run back in the field of play when Alosi – standing with his hands in his pockets – leaned forward on his left knee. The knee caught Carroll, who tumbled to the ground.

Carroll was shaken up but eventually walked to his sideline on his own power. He returned to the game in the fourth quarter, and the Dolphins won 10-6.

“Once again I’d like to apologize to Nolan Carroll, [Dolphins] coach [Tony] Sparano, [Jets owner] Mr. [Woody] Johnson and the entire New York Jets organization,” Alosi said Monday.

“I let everybody down yesterday with my actions. My actions were inexcusable and irresponsible. I’m extremely thankful that my actions yesterday didn’t result in any significant injury to Nolan or any other player,” he said.

The NFL and the Jets have said they are reviewing the incident. Alosi, who said he spoke with and apologized to Nolan, Sparano and Jets personnel on Sunday, said he hasn’t offered to resign but would accept “whatever disciplinary actions the league or the team comes down to.”

Noting that the Dolphins had been penalized earlier in the game for running out of bounds, a reporter asked Alosi whether someone had instructed him and other Jets personnel to stand close to the sidelines to prevent such moves.

“No, that wasn’t anything that was instructed,” Alosi said. “Our inactive players – guys that don’t play – we try to keep those guys focused on the game, root those players on. … We wanted to cheer on our guys.”

Alosi said the last 18 hours have been terrible for him.

“What I put my family through, what I put our organization through, I wouldn’t wish on anybody,” he said.

Sparano, before he had a chance to review the tape, told reporters after the game Sunday that his coaches upstairs were telling him that Carroll had been tripped.

“I talked to the referee at that point … [and] I told him at that point that it was on tape and that the people upstairs are telling me that that’s what they see,” Sparano said.

Carroll told the Sun-Sentinel that he wasn’t angry. But some of his teammates were.

“Come on, man. That's dirty! … There's no place for that in football,” Dolphins linebacker Karlos Dansby said Sunday, according to the Sun-Sentinel. “Hopefully they'll be fined for it. I'll leave it up to the league."

Alosi, who played linebacker at Hofstra, joined the Jets as an intern in 2002 before serving as their assistant strength and conditioning coach from 2003 to 2005. He worked one year with the Atlanta Falcons before returning to the Jets as their head strength and conditioning coach in 2007.

Post by:
Filed under: Football • Sports
  1. Jon

Maybe he should try running down the field in bounds and then maybe people won't be able to trip him.

December 13, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris in SD

Ah yes; the old iron-clad "she wouldn't have been attacked if she hadn't gone in the bar" argument.

Can't argue with brilliant logic like that.

December 13, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sandooz

I don't see anything wrong. The player was running out of bounds on the sideline and ran into the coaches who were standing behind their boundary line. I'm not sure why everyone is so upset.

December 13, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • jaintn

Everyone, except you, is upset because he intentionally tripped the guy and could have caused serious injury. That's why! Maybe that kind of thing is ok on your planet, but here on Earth we frown upon it. He took bad sportsmanship to a whole new level.

December 13, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jaintn

What's to report? He's caught on film and he's admitted it. Fine him, then fire him. He could have caused serious injury to that player or caused a career ending injury. What a jerk.

December 13, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Al

FIRE HIM IMMEDIATELY! I wasn't thinking? BS! This behavior should NOT be acceptable in any way. He was sorry AFTER he saw how it was on video- he wasn't sorry when he did it. He acted like he didn't do anything even after seeing the player fall down. AWFUL BEHAVIOR !! No excuses- FIRE HIM !!!

December 13, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Damien

i think he should be banned from football, what he did, in my mind is no worse then what Pete Rose did, and he is banned from baseball

December 13, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Patriots Fan

All these "FIRE HIM!" posts are juvenile and ridiculous. I think it's coming from people who don't like the Jets as a team, and they're obviously too ignorant or immature to consider Alosi as an individual.

GrammarGnatsie has the right idea: Alosi should be disciplined, but lose his livelihood? That's a HUGE overreaction. No respectable employer would fire someone for making one mistake, even if it is big or costly, because they have an investment in the individual that they'll never repeat the same mistake. You don't need to fire someone to get a point across, or set a precedent, or make an example. There are players in the NFL and NHL–who by all rights should be held to a higher standard because they're in the public eye and highly compensated–who have KILLED or CRIPPLED other human beings ON PURPOSE, and yet they are still playing.

If Carroll was a GREAT sportsman, in the spirit of the Jim Joyce Incident he'd come out in support of Alosi and say, "Hey, it was wrong, but I didn't get hurt and it didn't impact any key plays in the game. No harm, no foul."

For all you people claiming he should be fired: if you have never once in your lives made a big mistake and felt regret, then by all means, cast the first stone.

December 13, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • jaintn

So what did you do to get you fired? Obviously something pretty bad or you wouldn't be defending this idiot's actions. It's real simple. He did something outrageous and potentially harmful and he should suffer the consequences. Believe me, I've made mistakes, but I've never intentionally tried to physically harm someone, especially someone who depends on their physical fitness and well being to make a living. The guy does not belong in a coaching position if he has that little control over himself. He didn't make a "mistake" he tried to hurt that player and he did. He's lucky the guy didn't blow out a knee or worse, or he could be looking at a very large civil lawsuit and possibly a little jail time.

December 13, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris in SD

If it was Tom Brady that Alosi tripped, you would be calling for him to be strung up.

Go on – try and deny it.

December 13, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wendy

....agreed....Firing him is over the top....and I am a Dolphins Fan.

December 13, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Human As Well

Patriots Fan, I have to say again, I agree, and perfectly said. You seem to be the only voice of reason here.

Also, I didn't realize I was repeating your last paragraph when I commented earlier.

December 13, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Whatever!

Back to Jersey Shore ... suspended and w/o pay for the rest of the season (includes playoffs).

December 13, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Damien

"That's the problem; nothing was going through my head," he said. "Had I been thinking, I would've taken a step backward instead of going forward." is the quote from him...i completely disagree with that statement and this is why, as coaches, you are trained to step back, get out of the way, so, an unthinking action would have been for him to step back, inorder to step forward and trip this player it takes a conscious thought, since this goes against all training

December 13, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DrFood

Fired? No. Fined, ridiculed and basically made to have the worst month of his life? Heck yeah!

December 13, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cleopatra

"I wasn't thinking". The natural reaction would have been to move out of the way. You don't have to THINK to keep from kneeing a guying to make him fall. You just get out of the way. This guy had to deliberately THINK to take that action. FINE HIM. Don't put someone else out of work. But the Jets should make a huge deal of his bad behavior. (Notice: none of the Jets coaches moved out of the way.)

December 13, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. C0rnhole him in public!!!

Line up the team for a group bu++fvcking of this guy. Let's see his real "strength."

December 13, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • HERSHEY SQUIRTS

He'd be dripping like a slug after that!

December 13, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. TheQuestion

Off with this dude's head. He's lucky he doesn't play because i'm sure there would've been retribution to punk him at every chance for doing something so dirty.

December 13, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sandooz

There is no proof that he did it intentionally. He could have been stretching because he had a cramp or needed to loosen his glutes.
    He probably was forced to apologize because of all the media scrutiny.

December 13, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill Clay

His confession isn't good enough for you? You Jets fans certainly aren't Mensa members.

December 13, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandooz

No, his 'confession' was coerced.

December 13, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cesar

$10,000 fine, 4 week suspension, and 20 days community service during off season. Thank you.

December 13, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |