Jets suspend coach who tripped player
December 13th, 2010

Jets suspend coach who tripped player

[Updated at 9:22 p.m.] The New York Jets have suspended strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi through the 2010 season's playoffs for intentionally tripping a Miami Dolphins player during Sunday's Jets-Dolphins game, the Jets said on their website.

The Jets said they suspended Alosi (pictured) without pay and fined him $25,000 for tripping Dolphins rookie cornerback Nolan Carroll on the Jets' sideline as Carroll was covering a punt in the third quarter of Miami's 10-6 victory.

"After reviewing the facts and consulting with the league office, we determined that this was the most appropriate discipline," Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum said in a post on the Jets' site. "I have spoken with Sal. He understands the severity of his actions and has apologized to all parties involved in the incident.

"There is no place in the game for this type of behavior and his conduct falls disappointingly short of our expectations for anyone associated with the New York Jets. I have also reminded all members of the organization with sideline access that it is both a priority and their responsibility to maintain a safe environment."

Earlier Monday, Alosi told reporters that he would accept “whatever disciplinary actions the league or the team comes down to.”

At a briefing with reporters before the suspension was announced, Jets head coach Rex Ryan said he wanted to apologize to  Carroll and the Dolphins.

"That’s a thing that has no business in this league or anywhere else. Sal made a huge mistake. He knows that. He’s apologized for it," Ryan said.

FULL STORY

[Initial post, 5:49 p.m. ET] New York Jets strength coach Sal Alosi has apologized a second day for intentionally tripping a Miami Dolphins player during their game Sunday. Now he’s waiting to hear whether he’ll be punished.

Alosi, who tripped Dolphins rookie cornerback Nolan Carroll on the Jets’ sideline as Carroll was trying to cover a Dolphins punt in the third quarter, told reporters Monday that he wasn’t thinking during the play.

“If I could go back and do it again, I sure as heck would take a step back. It was just a situation where I wasn’t thinking,” Alosi said during a news conference Monday afternoon at the Jets’ facility in Florham Park, New Jersey.

Carroll, covered by two Jets players, was running along the sideline toward the Jets’ punt returner when the incident happened at the New Meadowlands Stadium in New Jersey. Video shows Carroll was out of bounds and trying to run back in the field of play when Alosi – standing with his hands in his pockets – leaned forward on his left knee. The knee caught Carroll, who tumbled to the ground.

Carroll was shaken up but eventually walked to his sideline on his own power. He returned to the game in the fourth quarter, and the Dolphins won 10-6.

“Once again I’d like to apologize to Nolan Carroll, [Dolphins] coach [Tony] Sparano, [Jets owner] Mr. [Woody] Johnson and the entire New York Jets organization,” Alosi said Monday.

“I let everybody down yesterday with my actions. My actions were inexcusable and irresponsible. I’m extremely thankful that my actions yesterday didn’t result in any significant injury to Nolan or any other player,” he said.

The NFL and the Jets have said they are reviewing the incident. Alosi, who said he spoke with and apologized to Nolan, Sparano and Jets personnel on Sunday, said he hasn’t offered to resign but would accept “whatever disciplinary actions the league or the team comes down to.”

Noting that the Dolphins had been penalized earlier in the game for running out of bounds, a reporter asked Alosi whether someone had instructed him and other Jets personnel to stand close to the sidelines to prevent such moves.

“No, that wasn’t anything that was instructed,” Alosi said. “Our inactive players – guys that don’t play – we try to keep those guys focused on the game, root those players on. … We wanted to cheer on our guys.”

Alosi said the last 18 hours have been terrible for him.

“What I put my family through, what I put our organization through, I wouldn’t wish on anybody,” he said.

Sparano, before he had a chance to review the tape, told reporters after the game Sunday that his coaches upstairs were telling him that Carroll had been tripped.

“I talked to the referee at that point … [and] I told him at that point that it was on tape and that the people upstairs are telling me that that’s what they see,” Sparano said.

Carroll told the Sun-Sentinel that he wasn’t angry. But some of his teammates were.

“Come on, man. That's dirty! … There's no place for that in football,” Dolphins linebacker Karlos Dansby said Sunday, according to the Sun-Sentinel. “Hopefully they'll be fined for it. I'll leave it up to the league."

Alosi, who played linebacker at Hofstra, joined the Jets as an intern in 2002 before serving as their assistant strength and conditioning coach from 2003 to 2005. He worked one year with the Atlanta Falcons before returning to the Jets as their head strength and conditioning coach in 2007.

Post by:
Filed under: Football • Sports
  1. Typical NY Behavior

I would expect this in Philly but was surprised out of the Jets corner. I suppose it is typical dirt bag NY sports behavior.

December 13, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sponsors

I see the logos for the NY Jets and Toyota in the backdrop. Are they associated with this kind of behavior? Is that what the team and the car company stand for? BOYCOTT ALL NY JETS AND TOYOTA PRODUCTS!!!!

December 13, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOYCOTT

BOYCOTT!!!

BOYCOTT!!!

BOYCOTT!!!

December 13, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bill Clay

He's only sorry because he got caught on camera. He could have caused an injury that ended that player's career! Firing is the least punishment he should receive. Law enforcement authorities should consider arresting this creep on intentional assault charges.

December 13, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nuts

How about the player he tripped gets a free kick at his nuts?

December 13, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Iliamna

The jets can fire him or not as they wish, but I think the league should ban him from being on the field. No fines, no suspensions, just keep him off of any NFL field.

December 13, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chiavarm

This may have been a lapse in judgment and I do not wish ill will to him or his family, but the NFL are supposed to be the Best of the Best. Best coaches, players, etc… With his action he has displayed he is no longer in that class.

December 13, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BronxZoo

Line him up in front of the monkey cages. We want to cast feces at him! Oo-oo-oo-oo!!!!

December 13, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MARK

That was his last game as a Jets Employee, guaranteed!

December 13, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. flfunguy

Typical New York jerk-off..hope they throw the book at him.

December 13, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Football Neutral Fan

Agrree with those saying he should be FIRED. This has nothing to do with the teams or even the sport. The action was unacceptable and any legitimate company would not accept such behavior from it's employees. Period.

December 13, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JJsMom

FINE him first, then have him PAY for any injures that Nolan needs treatment for and then FIRE him....

December 13, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Casan

He is not playing in the field..so he should be charged for ASSAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If a fan did that he would have been charged....so why does this guy get any privilage...he should actually get harsher CRIMINAL PENALTY...as he broke trust of being allowed close to the players.

December 13, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Borat

Chain him to wall and invade his ahh-nus with rubber fist! Break his ahh-nus!

December 13, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. cary

I wasn't thinking..... Yes you were. But the devil won out.

December 13, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. KamiFrog

I love all the people screaming "Fire him, let him find another job, fine him X amount!"

Because seriously, if they were in his position, they'd be doing exactly what he's doing and apologizing and hoping for the best. I'm not saying what he did was right. But no one was really hurt, and that's what really matters. I can almost guarantee we've all made a mistake we're not proud of sometime in our lives, and those who have been severely punished for those mistakes shouldn't be wishing that same fate on anyone, except out of spite. But that's a whole different story. And for those who haven't made any mistakes they regret...yeah, I doubt that. Everyone has those, to some degree.

He has apologized, he doesn't have a record of doing that, so unless it happens again, I think a warning is just fine.

December 13, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. myfandoms

I'm a Jets and Giants fan. He needs to be fired. If New England did this, we'd be up in arms. This reflects horrifically on the Jets, and they need to make a statement by THEIR actions. Fire him.

December 13, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |