Justice Department files suit over Deepwater Horizon oil disaster
December 15th, 2010

Justice Department files suit over Deepwater Horizon oil disaster

The Justice Department has filed a civil lawsuit in New Orleans against nine defendants in the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, a statement from the department said Wednesday.

The suit asks the court for civil penalties under the Clean Water Act, and to declare eight of the defendants liable without limitations under the Oil Pollution Act for all removal costs and damages caused by the oil spill, including damages to natural resources, the statement said.

Post by:
Filed under: Courts • Gulf Coast Oil Spill • Justice • Lawsuit
  1. Ben

Surprised that democrats are still blindly following Obama, and still blaming Bush/Cheney for problems that are happening years after they left office. After all, according to 2 different conspiracy theories that I have watched/read, the White House (the Obama Administration) knew of the oil spill before the oil spill actually happened.

December 15, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. brock

dont worry about it ppl! we will all pay for this at the pumps!!

December 15, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Homer Simpson

sue halliburton, now that would be a christmas maricle, even though they are responsible we cant just go after them, that would make sense!

December 15, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. a2rjr

These companies should file counter lawsuits for the governments negligence in responding to the crises. Their lack of response was laughable.

December 15, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

Yeah, the government can fix everything! Laughable.

December 15, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rick

Can’t we move all the companies over sea’s, They are headed that way anyway. We can always eat dirt when we get hungry.

December 15, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. shelagh barker

When you arrogant Americans deal with your responsibilities in Bhopal – then, you can get pious about the BP Gulf Spill!

December 15, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. valerie

I know you think President Obama should be able to perform a miracle after Bush screwed up your country but, seriously, do you honestly think he should know an event is going to occur before it actually does, if so, I would like access to his crystal ball, I might win the lottery. Don't make me laugh, it is so so sad. Happy Holidays anyway.

December 15, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BP Employee

Leave them alone, they are heroes to me! Yeah the disaster did happen but at least it was CLEAN OIL going into the ocean and not CRUDE OIL.

December 15, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. LaJollaRich

Haliburton, KBR, Bush, & Cheney better be listed.

December 15, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jim the Honest fixed income trader

Did I happen to mention I got my 1.2 Billion dollar bonus check today.
    Its a good thing to as the payment on my island in Dubai is due. Whew I feel good.

December 15, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jeff Frank

The fact that lives we're lost in this accident, was'nt enough. The fact that BP took charge of thier calamity despite the constant threats and regulatory pressure, was'nt enough. Knowingly ordering a ton of shrimp from that area for an event in Washington, assuring people in that are that thing are looking up, was'nt enough. Even getting help from a very brilliant celebrity, to help separate the oil from the water, was'nt enough. Somehow I get the idea BP knows what clean water is, as well know what oil pollution is. I have a clue, that they have taught the world now, "WHAT GREED POLLUTION IS". Maybe we all should walk or ride a bike before this commodity inflates to $4.00 a gallon. 🙂

December 15, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Who want to eat seafood marinated in petroleum oil and chemical dispersers? Oil and plastics have about the same rate of degradation...

December 16, 2010 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff Frank

Blog correction: What I meant in my last entry was Washington ordered a ton of shrimp, to assure everyone the seafood in that area was safe to eat, but that was'nt enough.

December 15, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. phil

The gulf wasn't clean before this "spill". Total up how much pollution the Mississippi River has dumped into the gulf over the past century or so. Anyone who believes this mess will be cleaned up by those who made it...

December 15, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. phil

@BP grunt...clean oil as opposed to crude oil? Get a clue. What do you do for BP, errands?

December 15, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. diana evans

They need to be responsible for THEIR mess...ALONG WITH MURDER!! If this offends anyone, I'm sorry but won't apologize for my feelings or opinion. They killed my baby brother on that rig (DWH) he was more than my brother, he was my bestfriend! So please just think if it was one of your loved ones! My brother is Shane Roshto, I have not only lost him but my 3 year old nephew also b/c his "wife" is keeping him from us because she is already dating & talking marriage! Fairytale my ass....She is the reason he quit Med school & was even there to begin with.

December 15, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

...the fallout extends so far out...so sad...Be at peace, Diane all things heal with time. Keep in touch with your nephew and your sis-in-law. They need your support, too.

December 16, 2010 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |