Woman who walloped gunman: 'I was concerned about my guys'
December 15th, 2010

Woman who walloped gunman: 'I was concerned about my guys'

Ginger Littleton took about 30 seconds to decide she was going to use her hand-me-down purse to try to knock a gun out of the hands of the man threatening her colleagues on Tuesday.

In the hours afterward, she'd concede it probably wasn't the best idea. But at the time, she worried she was the only person in position to stop a slaughter at the Bay District School Board meeting in Panama City, Florida.

So Littleton - the one board member the gunman had released, because she was a woman - re-entered the room, sneaked up from behind and swung.

"I was concerned about my guys," Littleton told CNN's "American Morning" on Wednesday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Florida
  1. banasy

She is very brave to have acted thus. And very, very lucky. But why is she being called stupid for doing what a decent person should do when faced with a horrific situation like that? She took action that may have resulted in her own death; she took action to save her "guys". What bothers people so much about what she did? The fact is she put her own life on the line to save others. Some may call that stupid; I call it heroic.

December 16, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Sutemi

"But why is she being called stupid for doing what a decent person should do when faced with a horrific situation like that? She took action that may have resulted in her own death; she took action to save her "guys". What bothers people so much about what she did? The fact is she put her own life on the line to save others. Some may call that stupid; I call it heroic."

It's stupid because it was so ineffectual. There was no reasonable expectation that hitting the gunman with a purse would have worked. Her death would have been meaningless. Thoughtlessly throwing away your life and depriving your loved ones of your self over a meaningless gesture is contemptible. That's what bothers people, not the fact that she risked her life. but that she risked it foolishly. I would have done the same thing she did, only I'd have done it with a chair, and I'm a 230 pound man. Apples and oranges.

December 21, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dee

lf it was a man who came back in the room with a bag everyone would be calling him a hero.

December 16, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. hmmm...

I agreed it was God's decision. No one can be such a damn horrible shooter. Even a kid nowadays can shoot way better thanks to the video games they practiced on. Obviuosly this shooter didn't play video games! As for the lady, hmmm. You got one shot to hit him with that purse, and you missed. you probably just think well, if he let me go, he wouldn't shoot me if I missed trying to hit him. Good thing the man didn't hate women.

December 16, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. Richard in Texas

She has been watching to much tv. I think she trying to be Lara Croft and ended up being Ruth Buzzy. That was not brave. It was stupid. She risked her life and those in the room.

December 16, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Richard in Texas

She was neither trained or equiped to go back into the room. That is what the police are for.

December 16, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  6. osama bin diesel

Ruth Buzzi ! LOL

December 16, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. Veritas

Ruth Buzzi rofl! but on the serious tip i feel ms. littleton showed quick thinking under threat of death and great bravery. God was there in that room and no matter how those bullets were diverted wether they passed thru without injuring them or the gunman simply pointed them at the ceiling the hand of our creator was instrumental in this obvious miracle. There is no other explanation. Thank God for saving these victims from death. God bless ms. littleton for risking her life to save another. Your place in heaven awaits you!

December 16, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mm2metn

Ok please tell me how is it that you people believe what she did was HEROIC? what she did was stupid and she says she did it for her guys, are you kidding me. And how is it that she is doing more interviews with the media for her so called 5 secs of fame then all of the other board members put together? Please people dont boost this womans ego.

December 18, 2010 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |