California governor declares today 'Larry King Day'
December 16th, 2010

California governor declares today 'Larry King Day'

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has proclaimed Thursday "Larry King Day" in honor of the final broadcast tonight of CNN's "Larry King Live."

"Larry King has transformed himself into a household name. An indisputable legend in both the entertainment and media industries, King has changed the concept of the talk show within his lifetime," a proclamation signed by Schwarzenegger reads.

"King’s unique and direct interviewing style quickly transformed his show into one of the most renowned and celebrated talk shows on cable. From politicians and celebrities to musicians and athletes, it became an honor to publicly share important news first on 'Larry King Live.' "

After 25 years, King's record-breaking run as CNN's prime-time, talk-show host ends Thursday night with a grand finale staffers are calling "Larrypalooza."

The proclamation also describes King, whose show is filmed in California, as "a valuable friend, dependable supporter and well-wisher" of the state, noting that he is a Dodgers fan who enjoys many famous California restaurants, including the Beverly Hills deli, Nate 'n Al.

"Larry King has done much more than provide fantastic interviews, profiles and news coverage over the last 53 years. He has used his fame and influence to raise money and awareness for many worthwhile causes and charitable organizations. His departure from “Larry King Live” is an important milestone and turning point in the history of broadcast television."

King will hang up his suspenders after tonight's show at 9 p.m. ET.

Read more: For 25 years, it has been good to be King

Post by:
Filed under: California
  1. Lisababy

Best wishes to Larry King hope you have a long and happy retirement. we'll all miss you but you can rest now job well done!

December 16, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

Why is the Governor wasting time on this instead of the more pressing business he needs to address concerning California? Larry King is all okay and all, but can't Arnold focus more on the California Politics and less on California entertainment? or are they just that intricately entwined?
    Oh, wait. I just answered my own question. Never mind.

December 16, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. phil

Did Larry work for ENRON too?

December 16, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. cmr

we all seen poltics is not arnolds cup of tea. but he is an actor so wasting valuable time on entertantment only comes natural. happy retirement mr king !

December 16, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Yep

Isn't Larry King dead yet?

December 16, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Walter

WooHoo! It's Larry King Day! Are we all suppose to smoke weed and interview someone or something?

December 16, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

I think we're all supposed to put on suspenders...the Gov didn't make that clear...of course, I never could understand what he says....

December 16, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cesar

Gonna miss king, but he'll be ok. Always liked the well lit background. Lots of electrical data needed for that, not just one datum.

December 16, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. goodbye

I sure will miss you Larry. Thank you for many wonderful years, I loved your show. Peace be with you Larry.

December 16, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cesar

@Yep: Aren't you dead yet, chump with one datum in your brain?

December 16, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. halleyj

Arnie.....you have so many more important issues to be dealing with here in CA, sorry Larry, happy retirement. As an aside California is not just the Hollywood south. You do realize we have another baseball team........the Giants.........if I remember correctly we just won the World Series! San Francisco restaurants will always be the front runner in fabulous restaurants in California.

December 16, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mel

At first thought it was in honor of the little gay kid w/the same name who was killed by a classmate. My bad. At least this occasion is more festive than mourning a kid. Hope this Larry King is able to carry on for many more years and specials to come.

December 16, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ProtoMan

I know this is CNN's blog, but I never watched Larry King. One of my favorite SNL skits was John Travolta playing Marlon Brando and I forgot who played Larry King, but it was hilarious. I'm sure it's on youtube. I don't like how Larry never really asked tough questions, so he could ensure more top shelf entertainers would come on his show. Maybe that's why I never watched him.

December 17, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  14. Darwin Javier

I think gubernator should desrve a hero of a day.

December 17, 2010 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  15. helenhull102951

Not to change the subject, but when are we Californian's going to get a govenor that will start doing somthing about the inflow of illeagal immigents coming into our state and clean out the ones that are already here??? I believe that if we could do that, the states budget would be in far better shape and our kids could get the education they deserve.. Come on Mr, Brown show some BALLS!!!

December 17, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |