End of an era: CNN's Larry King hangs up suspenders
December 17th, 2010

End of an era: CNN's Larry King hangs up suspenders

It's hard to imagine, but Thursday, a legend hung up his suspenders for the last time.

On Thursday night, after a record-breaking 25 years on the air at CNN, Larry King signed off for the last time as host of "Larry King Live." Before doing so, he was joined by several surprise special guests and friends of the show, who helped bid a fond farewell to the man whose legendary career has transformed him into a media icon.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger joined Larry via satellite from Sacramento to thank him for his contributions to the state of California. The Governator even flexed a little muscle by using his gubernatorial powers to declare December 17  "Larry King Day" in his state.

Larry has interviewed and rubbed elbows with countless famous and powerful celebrities and political figures over the years, but even he was shocked when Ryan Seacrest told him that the president of the United States had a message for him. President Obama thanked him for "a truly amazing career" and his excellent interviews "from Kermit the Frog to Joe from Tacoma."

Over the course of his remarkable career, Larry King interviewed virtually everyone who was anyone except himself. On the night of his final show, he finally crossed his own name off the list. Sort of.

'SNL' funnyman Fred Armisen joined Larry as Larry (identical clothing and all) to ask himself a few questions.

At the same time every night, Anderson Cooper normally joins Larry for a quick preview of what's coming on next on "AC 360." This time, though, Anderson instead used the time to personally thank Larry for the impact that he had on his own career and share a touching personal moment with his friend and mentor.

And at the end of the night, when the final guests had expressed their thanks, shared their memories, and said their goodbyes, all that remained was for Larry King to sign off for the final time. He did so with all of the poise and poignancy that his viewers have come to expect from him.

So long, Larry. Thanks for the memories.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. thymat

To Jim...........Larry with all his faults according to you made a million buicks this year. How did you do???????

December 17, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Timetraveler

Larry makes "buicks"? A MILLION of them? Really? That's quite a hobby. No wonder Detroit is in so much trouble.

December 18, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. Debby

CNN without Larry King thats going to be tough on the network. I wonder if Wolf will be next to leave.

December 17, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Thunderdag

Was he that guy on the news who had a variety show? Hewas awesome. No connection between guests, shows, interview questions, interviewee answers given, and random commentary to random pan handlers. That was CNN too. Amazing. Must have missed it.

December 17, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ProperVillain

Oh good, another opportunity for Arnold to do something else that is totally useless for the state...

December 17, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ProperVillain

I think Larry mugged Mickey Mouse and stole his wardrobe...

December 17, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. James

Finally... he is gone! I am so happy!

December 17, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mabel Schwartz

At last! The frog has croaked!

December 17, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joe

I only watch him when my remote accidentally stop while he is on.

December 17, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ArmGar27

I personally never liked his interviewing skills. I really can't explain his popularity. The only person I can think that is worse
    than Larry King is Barbara Walters. I'd watch Geraldo Rivera any day before I watch any of those two.

December 17, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. C

I haven't watched but some hours of TV in maybe 5 years, but Larry King Live was something I caught bits of every now and them on the internet. I cannot say I've ever been a fan of the show, but it's been on since I was a child–it's hard to recall life before it. So I'm just a little sad to see it end, but all things must. I hope Mr. King enjoys his freedom.

December 17, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ekaloa

I will miss LKL definitely, the only show I watch from CNN is now history, LK is great person, no matter how he interview, he did it on his own style. No body can deny that he has made history and he has made himself globally recognized name. I am in Asia, I dont know many people in America, but I know LK.

December 17, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sheri

I watched his first show and his last show and only missed a handful of them in between. Love him or hate him; I loved him. His guests were fascinating and his style was unforgettable. It was so refreshing to see his wife and boys on with him Thursday evening. You are a blessed man, Larry, and I will forever miss your CNN program. God bless you and yours.

December 17, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mike harr

Larry King and Barbara Walters talked to lots of people on TV. What unique talents they demonstrated
    flew by me? I saw no big deal in them.

December 17, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. L

So long Mr. King. You are truly a legend. I for one will miss you.

December 17, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Susan

It truly is unbelievable how cruel people can be. Those that commented so negatively about Larry King. Why? Why is it that people love to say destructive things? You attack and comment about an appearance. Did you ever stop to consider the man and the contributions he has made in his life? What have you done? You intend to say things you know he may view, without any consideration of how that might make him feel. Of course you don't care about that because your actions demonstrate otherwise. It is really is a statement about how unfortunate you are. You are lacking heart, and there is nothing worse than that. In this world, when you lack heart, you are lost.

December 17, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • nor'easter

Relax Susan. He was a lousy journalist who built his career on pandering to celebrities by giving them a national platform – yet NEVER asking any difficult questions. If you can't see that, then that's not our problem, but don't get defensive on his behalf. He had many years of opportunity to turn himself into a real journalist.

December 18, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
    • nor'easter

...if you want to see what a real journalist looks like, watch Steven Sakur of the BBC's Hardtalk.

December 18, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Nor'easter: Larry King wasn't trying to be your prototypical 'journalist'. His niche was something completely unique, which is what makes him so special and is the main reason that his show lasted 25 years. He didn't 'give celebrities a platform', he let them talk instead of trying to 'get' them with tough questions. He listened. He also didn't have an agenda, and came into every interview with an objective view, which is another thing that sets him apart from other journalists.

Stop being such a negative, cynical critic and just respect what the man has done.

December 18, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |