Kroger announces select pet food recall
December 19th, 2010

Kroger announces select pet food recall

The Kroger Co. is recalling select pet food packages from stores in 19 states fearing some of these products may contain aflatoxin, a toxic chemical byproduct that could be harmful to animals.

The recall involves certain bags of Pet Pride Cat Food, Pet Pride Kitten Food, Old Yeller Chunk Dog Food, Kroger Value Cat Food and Kroger Value Chunk Food, the company said Saturday.

The Kroger Co. urged customers to immediately consult with their veterinarian if their animals show any signs of sluggishness or lethargy combined with a reluctance to eat. A yellowish tint to the eye/and or gums, severe blood or diarrhea are also warning signs, the company said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Consumer safety • Recalls
  1. RUFFNUTT

another round a death-brand pet food.

December 19, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

What is UP with this? My family lost their dog last time this happened...and you know that other store brands have the same supplier as Kroger...

December 19, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • loreebeeeeeeeeber

Not in this case. It's made at a Kroger owned plant in TN.

December 20, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. RUFFNUTT

WELL.. this is why i feed my dog usa made dog food.

December 19, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • kristin

you can't possibly be this naive? google rendering plants and read up on your good ol' US of A pet foods.

December 20, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • loreebeeeeeeeeber

Well.. This IS made in the USA dog food.

December 20, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy

And I have a dog that is allergic to everything except beef and rice. You guessed it...I have to cook for the dog, too. This was after they changed the formula in the food he grew up on. And I don't really know where the dog food originated from, but I know where it originates from NOW!

December 20, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. missing you

I feed my dog Pet Pride and she had those symtoms. She would not eat, then I began feeding him another brand. He died last week. Who can I contact.

December 20, 2010 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Courtney

Omg I am so sorry that happened to you and your pet 😦

December 20, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

Not to be snarky, but what exactly was the gender of your dog? In any case, I'm sorry.

December 20, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  7. tomcat

stop feeding grocery, walmart food to your pets. with the economy as it is pet owners are faced with tough choices. if possible buy the best you can your dog, cat or whatever will be healthier. also think about before getting or giving pets as gifts. check out the shelters if you are looking. save a life. thanks

December 20, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
    • loreebeeeeeeeeber

And stop feeding some of the veterinarian sold dog food too....much of it is crap as well.

December 20, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy

@jillforand:
    How? By eating spamalot?

December 20, 2010 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. tomcat

i would say that is nasty but, no thats so NATE lmao

December 20, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. kathleen

I had to put my kitty to sleep Thursday. Didn't know what was wrong but now I guess I knowdo!!!

December 20, 2010 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
  11. Lisababy

More pet food from a country where pets are food. so they make the euthanasia brand. Check where the food comes from or its a crapshoot.

December 20, 2010 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
    • loreebeeeeeeeeber

Uh.....the food is made in TN.

December 20, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • kristin

the united states has no restrictions on rendering plants .... euthanized dogs and cats, their flea collars, id tags, plastic shrink wrap, all go to the rendering plant and become the sludge which is the filler in so many pet foods. what is with this "united states" crap? it is happening right under your noses, more and more animals are dying from toxicity.

December 20, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • loreebeeeeeeeeber

Kristin, you follow PETA or something?

By products have a specific definition as to what can, or cannot be used. Flea collars, etc are not in dog food.

December 20, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Moon

Basic Purina is a good compromise bc it's not so expensive for a brand name and it's not generic bottom of the barrel questionable supermarket brand either. My cats and dogs have always eaten it and have had no problems ever on it.

December 20, 2010 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. phil

It's obviously important what you feed your pet. When you feed your pet is also of concern. Some people just keep their pet's chow bowls full all the time, and have several pet's eating out of the same bowl. So there is no way of knowing how much ea. individual pet is eating. Animals like to be fed at sunrise and sunset. They like to be waiting there in anticipation of you feeding them also. If you keep the bowl full all the time, their digestive system never get's to cycle properly. Me? I fed my dog's all the coyotes they could eat. Even some deer, elk or bear meat from time to time. My dog's worked for a living though. They liked badger meat too, a rare delicacy for them. Badgers don't die easy. I did keep dog food around for the little yappers though, and for when meat was in short supply.

December 20, 2010 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  14. Fred Bartkowski

Work in a rendering plant. Everything gets dumped in a massive vat and cooked all day with steam. After all the deer, cow bodies and oil and bones and greese trap crap have bubbled and boiled the steam is turned down.
    The oil is pumped into tanks for settling. The higher quality oil or top 2/3rds of each tank is pumped into rail cars or semi tankers and shipped to cosmetic companies.
    (cont)

December 20, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  15. Fred Bartkowski

The rest of the stuff in the vat. The animal bones and meat and this sort of thick looking paste get augered into huge mixing drums. The drums get filled with the bottom third grease from the settling tanks.
    Large paddles inside the drums batter the material into fluff.
    After two hour of high pressure cooking the liquid is drained and pumped back into settling tanks.
    The material that is left; a sort of powdery, crumbly substance is loaded in semi trailers and shipped to dog food companies.

December 20, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |