Oil pipeline blast kills 27 in Mexico
December 19th, 2010

Oil pipeline blast kills 27 in Mexico

[Updated at 10:51 p.m.] The death toll in Sunday morning's oil pipeline explosion in central Mexico has risen to 27, a state-run Mexican news agency said.

[Initial post] At least 14 people were killed and 33 injured after an oil pipeline exploded Sunday morning in central Mexico, officials said.

The cause of the explosion in San Martin Texmelucan, in Puebla state, was under investigation, but preliminary reports pointed to the illegal extraction of oil from the pipe, said Laura Gursa, coordinator for civil protection in Puebla.

FULL STORY

Post by:
Filed under: Mexico • World
  1. Fred Bartkowski

This is a sad day with so many deaths.
    We have added many many good paying factory jobs to Mexicos economy over the year. Still some Mexicans are so desperate they resorted to this dangerous occupation of crude oil theft.
    We must redouble our efforts to increase opportunities for our neighbors to the south.

December 19, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cesar

@banasy: Nate is picking on me. @Nate: Phili Eagles are gonna lose pal, HA!

December 19, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Cesar

@Fred: Rumor has it that in some instances drug gangs steal and sell the product. These gangs are ruthless cowards. If in fact they died, who cares, if decent people died, it is tragic. Judging from the article it could very well have been them.

December 19, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Fred Bartkowski

Oh, didn't know it was ruthless cowards. Then by all means more pipelines everywhere.

December 19, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Fred Bartkowski

Just have to point out taking a drill to pipe containing oil requires absolutely no fear.

December 19, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cesar

@Fred: Google Mexican violence, and Zetas. I go to Mexico once a month to get meds for my mom. Armed soldiers everywhere. A couple that knows my parents were detained by fake cops. Both beat up and smashed windows and told not to return. They are part of a certain gang, same gang that steals from Premex. A college 19 year old kid from USA was dragged out of a bus by the gang and shot dead- no reason. Too much too tell. Have seen pictures on line so graphic that they are no longer available. Fred, your heart is big though, thanks for your humanity mentality.

December 19, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. phil

Oil doesn't explode unless it's under tremendous pressure. Natural gas explodes, but rarely. You see movies showing the star turning on the gas, and when the villain arrives, the star flick's his cigar into the room, and just as he dives out the window, the entire building explodes. in reality, if you fill a room with natural gas and go in and light a match, a tiny line of flame will form between the lighted match and a crack in the doorway or drafty window. No kaboom.

December 19, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. phil

@Cesar...have you ever walked the streets of south-central Los Angeles at night?

December 19, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Fred Bartkowski

I read up a little. I get it.
    Amazing.
    Scary world.

December 19, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cesar

@Phil/Fred. Hell no! I know better.

December 19, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy

@Cesar: I know NN was, darlin'!
    It's really a sad state in Mexico...I feel so bad for all the innocents that have died and the property lost. Oil tends to bring out the worst, alas...

December 19, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. phil

Cesar, are you saying south-central LA is full of racists? I take it you are brown, not black, from reading your posts.

December 19, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy

I've never been to CA in my life and even I know S.C. L.A. Is dangerous!!! Quit with the bait! Jeez!

December 19, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cesar

@banasy: You're right, too many innocent people dead. I agree with Hillary Clinton, Mexico looks a bit like Columbia of the 1980's. Drug dealers, BIG BUSINESS controls too much. @Phil: No, I am not saying they are racists. I just try to keep away from big cities and crime. Hot dog Phil, I don't wanna get my butt kicked. I'm American first, hispanic second. Have you been to LA at night?

December 19, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cesar

Exactly, banasy uses common sense. I have never been there either, but I sure wouldn't go walk there at night. Too many news stories. Too much crime.

December 19, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |