Results of 2010 Census to be released
December 20th, 2010

Results of 2010 Census to be released

How many people live in the United States, and which states will gain and lose congressional seats as the result of population shifts?

The U.S. Census Bureau will answer those questions Tuesday.

The first official results from the 2010 Census will be released at 11 a.m. ET, including the nation's total resident population and new congressional apportionment totals for each state.

The census determines how many representatives each state gets in Congress, and states base the size and shape of their districts in part on census figures.

CNN.com and CNNMoney.com will provide complete coverage, including a look at the fastest- and slowest-growing states. The data could provide insight into whether the nation's two-year economic downturn has forced people to move.

You can watch a live webcast of the announcement here.

And while the government may not be known for kicking out exciting graphics, the Census Bureau has posted a cool interactive map showing how the population has moved with every 10-year count since 1910.

The Census Bureau has previously released snapshots of data through the American Community Survey, but that is based on sampling, not on the complete count taken last spring.

Post by:
Filed under: Census • Congress • Economy • Politics • U.S.
  1. kansas man

Well pretty obvious California, texas gain.. What's the capital city of Mexico? Texas

December 20, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Texas

That's pretty funny, especially for someone from Kansas (wherever the heck that is)...

December 20, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Kansas? I'm pretty sure it's one of those crazy yankee states where frozen water falls from the sky and collects on the ground....oh, and I think there also was something about a girl, a dog, a witch and a pair of ruby slippers...

...come to think of it, all that just sounds plain crazy- so maybe Kansas *is* just a fictional "make believe" place like Narnia, Mordor or Alaska.

December 20, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • LATIN LOVER

THE LATINIZATION OF THE USA IS A DEMOGRAPHIC FACT!

December 20, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • bob

what census

December 20, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • outawork

California will probably loose. Who wants to live in a "failed state."

December 20, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barnacle Bill

"California will probably loose. Who wants to live in a "failed state.""

Well, you fail at English. No wonder you're out of work. For the record, if California supports your welfare state. They get back only 78 cents for every dollar that they pump into the Fed. If they were to secede, they would have a budget surplus. They also pay more into the system that any other state, by a pretty large margin. Same for New York.

If those two states, and a few other blue states, withdrew from the US, the rest of the country would be screwed.

December 20, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barnacle Bill

"For the record, if California supports your welfare state."

Don't know how that "if" got in there. It should read, "For the record, California supports your welfare state."

December 20, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • johnapple

That is misleading. Its individuals that pay taxes to the government not the state. The state of California is broke because of their welfare and now they want other individuals from outside their state to support their social experiments. That is just wrong. Suck it up and tax your population more. The rest of the country should not have to pay for California's many screw ups.

December 20, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • marconi darwin

You tell 'em Barnacle Bill. Just adding to it:

The Tax Foundation released its most recent analysis of federal taxes paid by individual states, as compared to the federal revenue those same states received. The analysis asks the straightforward question: "Which States Gain Most from Federal Fiscal Operations? (.pdf)

Now, from a political and ideological perspective, "small government" types in states that tend to vote Republican are, of course, the same people who decry federal spending the most. I bet you can guess where I'm going with this.

It's not exact, but the states that did the best are also states that voted Republican in 2004. The top 10, in order, are: New Mexico, Alaska, West Virginia, Mississippi, North Dakota, Alabama, Virginia, Hawaii, Montana, and South Dakota. For those counting at home, that's nine "red" states out of 10.

As for the "donor states" that receive less than they give to the feds, the top 10 are: New Jersey, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Nevada, Illinois, Delaware, Colorado, New York, and California. That's eight "blue" states out of 10.

December 20, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Alan

I find it interesting that results are out and our entire neighborhood still has not been contacted by any census official to complete the survey! Our streets were developed within the last 10 years and I understand the government didn't have data in their system! (???) Funny how the bills know where to find us! Can we really trust these results?! How much money was spent to do an incomplete survey??!!

December 20, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

We've heard *nothing* and most of our neighborhood has been around since the 1920's. (and some homes, like ours, are well over a 120 years old) so I don't think the age of the neighborhood has anything to do with it.

I suspect that more political trickery and gerrymandering is the culprit.

December 20, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dekack

It was done mostly by mail this year, they didn't have someone go out to the neighborhoods like they have in the past.

December 20, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Dekack: Yeah, they did. I walked the neighborhoods for weeks, knocking on doors, trying to get crackheads to give me straight answers. The results are dependent on the availability and reliability of the respondents, so...draw your own conclusions from that.

December 20, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • walley46

My friend a census worker told me in Eastern Colorado he had to visit homes because the forms were not filled out. The bad part is he had to bring the sheriff with him for protection because the nuts that live out that way dont want to share any information with the Govt.

December 20, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Dekack: it has been done mostly by mail since 1960. They only come to your house if you don't respond to the mailing. That hasn't changed.

December 20, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kevin

Pretty strange, been through the whole "census" process 3 times so far as an adult, but this time I received *no* forms in the mail, no census takers knocking on our door and my three calls to the local census office to find out when we would be receiving our forms have gone unreturned.
    And none of my neighbors have heard anything from the census people either...
    And we live in a up-scale neighborhood right next to downtown Houston- it not like we're out in the boonies somewhere.

What gives?

December 20, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Your the wrong color to count. Minorities are in this census.

December 20, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Edward Nashville, TN

I don't think census is very accurate. It is an estimation based on what info they can find on citizens

December 20, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gail

Gee, you think?

Ever consider that when dealing with the kind of numbers we are talking about for state populations that close is good enough in order to apportion seats?

For God sakes people, use your heads.

December 20, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lynda

You've just made Nashville look as backwards as people think it is.

December 20, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. deuce

I can't wait to see how many people wrote in "Jedi" for their occupation like I did! 🙂

December 20, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patch

Occupation? I always thought it fell into the realm of a religion. (No matter. Neither were asked for in the recent census...)

December 20, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • JB

The 2010 Census did not ask occupation, you know.

December 20, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. california man

Ok Kansas or california not a hard to choose.

December 20, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gail

You're right, it's not. Seeing as I've lived in the cesspoll called California twice I'd know to pick Kansas in a heartbeat.

December 20, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

I've visited both states. I'd prefer Kansas but only the eastern part. Western Kansas has no trees to speak of. Can't abide there not being any trees in sight.

December 20, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barnacle Bill

Gail, if California is a cesspool, Kansas is an outhouse.

December 20, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • walley46

If Kansas and California don't suit any of you, move to Somalia and become a Pirate. MORONS.

December 20, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. knormb

I do not exist. I did not get a form mailed to me, and did not get around to voluntary reporting, thinking that someone would knock on my door. No one did. Whatever number they give you, add one...

December 20, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • surfdog11

I too apparently don't have a front door or mail box, but every Hispanic I've talked to has responded to the census.

December 20, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

I'm white, middle class married with 2 kids. Absolutely average. I filled out and returned my census form. Yay me! I count.

December 20, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. james

California won't gain. If anything they may lose a seat. Texas will gain four seats. In fact, it looks like six blue seats are turning red. That's why all the stories this week as to how much more difficult the Census is going to make Obozo's re-election, which is why all of a sudden he's a Republican.

December 20, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Gee, how about some respect for the President. You should have said, Mr. Obozo, Sir.

December 20, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barnacle Bill

Idiots who use faux-clever insults can never seem to rise to the level of respecting others.

I'd rather have a conversation with Obama than with either of you two bottom feeders.

December 20, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • johnapple

You are obviously leading by example.

December 20, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. steve

You, who didn't see a census worker, should count your blessings. I had to tell at least 12 different census workers 12 different times that I knew nothing about the people who lived in my apartment on April 1st (I moved in June). They gave them the landlords # each time and had to listen to the same spiel... talk about a waste of money and resources.

December 20, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. duke

This is pure politics!
    I suspect the books got cooked.
    Get ready for the polls to read,That the majority of Americans wants war in Iran,and the Polls will say the majority of Americans are in line with all other right-wing skewered arguments the don't benefit The People.

December 20, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. LATIN LOVER

Nothing new. HISPANICS will be the fastest growing group in addition to being the youngest segment of the population.
    Their labor force will be essential to the progress of the USA.
    In the future, HISPANICS will be the majority in the USA.

December 20, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • TriumPatriot

Idiot Ethnocentrist.

December 20, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • KStuck

So? What is wrong with that? I'm of European descent, and that doesn't bother me one bit.

Doubtful he knows what that word means, Patriot.

December 20, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

Sounds good to me. I hate bratwurst but I love TACOS!!!! Just cuz I'm blond with blue eyes doesn't mean I have to hate brown skin.

December 20, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

50pct of them are here illegally, of course they are the majority. That is o.k. they are cheap labor force for the USA. Oh don't forget they are the majority in prison too. You have to love those Latin people...I'm not referring to French and Italian...Je vous aime....

December 20, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Doowangle

We get to see more proof that black people commit far more crime per capita than any other ethnicity in America. No one will touch the subject though

December 20, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • TriumPatriot

Besides frying your brains after sticking your head into the microwave, what other factors influenced your comment?

December 20, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kraznodar

Yeh! What TriumPatriot asked. Inquiring minds want to know what is wrong with your brain?

December 20, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

@Doowangle, We all knew that, leave that alone. Soon or later USA will be behind China in everything. Who are we to blame?

December 20, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lynda

And so why were blacks brought into the U.S. Surely even the forefathers should've been smart enough to realize that natural born criminals can never fit into the mainstream. Wasn't there an Island somewhere to send them all? Otherwise, you get what you pay for.

December 20, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. LATIN LOVER

@Doowangle. Don't blame the Black people for the crimes. They have survived centuries of discriminatiion and ethnic cleansing through their history. This is a sequelae that has social implications and ramifications. I have also protected the
    White population when some other groups stated the Whites are responsible for "massive crimes" and kidnappings.
    The solution is to try to solve the root of the problem and not finger pointing.

December 20, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Keith

By that logic then all the Native Americans should all be drug lords, ninja assassins, crime bosses, wall street bankers or some other type of high-end criminal (considering how much worse they had it...). But wait- they are not!
      "Reality" renders your argument void.

December 20, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LATIN LOVER

@TriumPatriot. The TRUTH hurts, eh? Blame your media for the reports that the HISPANICS will become the majorirty in the USA withing the next 20 years. Plain and simple!!!

December 20, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • TriumPatriot

It was the media that prompted you to make that comment?

December 20, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • LL-Loser

Nope. Wrong again. by 2050, HIspanics are predicted to by 25% of the population.

December 20, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

@Latin Lovers, Who cares! The point is majority of your people will be in prisons anyway. Your people are draging this country down. Most of you never ever want to complete high school or even have a steady job. Other ethnics or races will be your boss anyway. Go get yourself drunk, dance, and get arrested o.k. we love see your people do stupid things on TrueTV.

December 21, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  15. LATIN LOVER

@TriumPatriot. How do you think I got it? Read the book..."THE PENTAGON'S NEW MAP". By Thomas Barnett. (Analyst at the USA Naval War College). He will tell you the truth and with facts!!! I read man!

December 20, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • TriumPatriot

Why the triumphalist tone LL?

December 20, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • LL-Loser

Haha! You read that piece of garbage LL? That says everything about you troll.

December 20, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |