Results of 2010 Census to be released
December 20th, 2010

Results of 2010 Census to be released

How many people live in the United States, and which states will gain and lose congressional seats as the result of population shifts?

The U.S. Census Bureau will answer those questions Tuesday.

The first official results from the 2010 Census will be released at 11 a.m. ET, including the nation's total resident population and new congressional apportionment totals for each state.

The census determines how many representatives each state gets in Congress, and states base the size and shape of their districts in part on census figures.

CNN.com and CNNMoney.com will provide complete coverage, including a look at the fastest- and slowest-growing states. The data could provide insight into whether the nation's two-year economic downturn has forced people to move.

You can watch a live webcast of the announcement here.

And while the government may not be known for kicking out exciting graphics, the Census Bureau has posted a cool interactive map showing how the population has moved with every 10-year count since 1910.

The Census Bureau has previously released snapshots of data through the American Community Survey, but that is based on sampling, not on the complete count taken last spring.

Post by:
Filed under: Census • Congress • Economy • Politics • U.S.
  1. LATIN LOVER

@KRAZNODAR. Not all HISPANICS are "brown". They can also be Whites and Blacks.

December 20, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jesse in KC

Like EVERYTHING in politics, the numbers will be cooked one way or another. I did have to deal with a knock on my door this year, so I'll be counted, but that's hardly the point.

There was really just too much ignorance in these comments to even begin to discuss, so I'll just leave it with a "grow up".

December 20, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Otto

Not ro worry my good equally employed tax paying friends; by 2020, Hispanics will be the "New White" Americans. I am very afraid that I will be in the minority very soon. I did receive my Census papers, two copies and I filled out one set and returned it.
    Given the hateful comments and actions these past few years, no wonder the majority will soon become the minority.

December 20, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • KY in California

I'm looking forward to becoming the minority. Just think of all the frivalous discrimination lawsuits I can file. The affirmative action laws will have to be rewritten to list white as one of the quotas.

December 20, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. BELLA

LL .WRONG, WRONG , WRONG. THAT IS WHAT THE LIBERAL MEDIA HAS MADE PEOPLE TO BELIEVE BUT IT IS FAR FROM THE TRUTH.

December 20, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Keith - Houston

Additional growth in the latin population is ok by me. It has been that way in Texas as long as I can remember (60+ years). The only issue I see is the men that migrate here with no intention of staying. Those seem to be the ones that get drunk on weekend nights, get into car wrecks, commit the crimes, etc. The latins that come down with families want an opportunity to raise a family and make a living.

December 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Peter E

Red staters should be happy. Unofficial projections predict they'll gain a few extra seats yet again.

December 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cris305

Very interesting indeed!

December 20, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cris305

So, are the tables turning?

Do check this out,
    Very fun!

December 20, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Daniel

Its time that we as a country rethink this stuff. It is not fair for one state to have more representatives than another. It should be 50 states 2 reps for each state 100 reps total with one person with the power to break a tie. Not California ihas more people so it should get XX reps but Rhode Island has less so it should only get X reps.

December 20, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barnacle Bill

What a load of horsesh1t. That is not equal representation.

December 20, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ubwhatevrilbm

I was never counted–never got the census form in the mail or at my door. Does anybody care? How many others did they miss?

December 20, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ...

The only reason hispanics will grow is because illegal immigrants.

December 20, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bob the cheerleader

our government is gay. like me.

December 20, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. johnapple

That is misleading. Its individuals that pay taxes to the government not the state. The state of California is broke because of their welfare and now they want other individuals from outside their state to support their social experiments. That is just wrong. Suck it up and tax your population more.

December 20, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. tomcat

kieth in houston...i hear you. i live in central Texas and see it daily. i am white but i speak better spanish than some hispanic friends. i end up translating at work, the market you name it. thanks mom and dad for raising us to live with all races. open your eyes the world is bigger than taco bell, macaroni grill or popeyes chicken. try to get along your stress will go down. thanks and happy holidays.

December 20, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. T

Dont worry if u were not included in the population counted. Its to your advantage. We are shame among the living ... And if your name does not appear then youre not part of the disgrace we shall be judged

December 20, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |