Results of 2010 Census to be released
December 20th, 2010

Results of 2010 Census to be released

How many people live in the United States, and which states will gain and lose congressional seats as the result of population shifts?

The U.S. Census Bureau will answer those questions Tuesday.

The first official results from the 2010 Census will be released at 11 a.m. ET, including the nation's total resident population and new congressional apportionment totals for each state.

The census determines how many representatives each state gets in Congress, and states base the size and shape of their districts in part on census figures.

CNN.com and CNNMoney.com will provide complete coverage, including a look at the fastest- and slowest-growing states. The data could provide insight into whether the nation's two-year economic downturn has forced people to move.

You can watch a live webcast of the announcement here.

And while the government may not be known for kicking out exciting graphics, the Census Bureau has posted a cool interactive map showing how the population has moved with every 10-year count since 1910.

The Census Bureau has previously released snapshots of data through the American Community Survey, but that is based on sampling, not on the complete count taken last spring.

Post by:
Filed under: Census • Congress • Economy • Politics • U.S.
  1. LATIN LOVER

END....

SIGN: KKK. Go to China and count the babies or to California to see how many babies the Hmongs and Laotians have.

December 20, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Breed1

It's gonna be interesting to see how large the Asian and Latino populations have become since 2000. I'm tired of people think America is just black and white. I'm sure there are now more Latinos in the US than blacks, and Asians will pass them soon. We'll no longer have to talk about old issues, but 21st century things, the beautiful spanish language and smart chinese kids.

December 20, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. The Truth

Ha, I've got one for the ages. While cutting my lawn, the census taker walked up and down my street, being curious because I live in a gated community asked what she was doing and if I could help her find the person she was looking for. She said she was taking a census, so I asked when she needed my info? She replied she already had it. Really? I replied. Well, how many people live in my house then. 6 she replied, how did you come to that conclusion I asked. She said I have 5 bedrooms. I said yes I do. She looked at me like I was stupid. I told her my wife is retired and there are only 2 people living in that house. She said ok, who is the other person?. I kid you not. Pathetic!

December 20, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy

Well, I can tell you that the Census sent us one of those wonderful 42,163 page forms, and then called incessantly, then knocked at our door 42,163 times, and the sent us the "short" form, twice. (Actual numbers may vary; this is what it felt like to me! I exaggerate a bit, so sue me!) I finally asked the Census worker who set up at our local Library once a week (I work there) what gives? She said that I only had to fill out the long form, (which we did) and that was that. Apparently, everyone who didn't get a form, a call, or a knock couldn't, because they were focusing on our household!!
    I really don't care if Hispanics become the new majority, if they are legal citizens of the United States.
    And as for this "My state is better than your state" stuff-it's fine to have pride in the state you live in, but it's much better to have pride in the COUNTRY you live in!

December 20, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • JB

Dude, there was no long form. There was only 1 census form in 2010. It had 10 questions.

December 20, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

@The Truth:
    Are you kidding me? How did she know there were 5 bedrooms in your house? I don't recall that they asked me how many bedrooms I have, but then the form was 42,163 pages long.
    She does sound like a dolt, though! 🙂

December 20, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The Truth

I believe when I told her my wife was retired she just come unglued. Blew her mind so bad she couldn't even comprehend what I was saying.

December 20, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

Really, she sounds like a real-estate agent more than census taker.

December 20, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. The Truth

They research the county and city records for the square ft an number of bathrooms. 3-bath rooms equals 5 bedrooms. You would think if they go to that much trouble they would at least knock on my door and ask. Didn't happen. So sad.

December 20, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

No, they don't research county and city records. That's just not true. It would save the country some money if you would just respond to the short mailing they send once every 10 years.

December 20, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. T

Jack, uncle the "sam" could not get me and my family becuz we were busy stripping at the club since we couldn't get a job due to the bad recession. Does it mean we're unpatriotic? We'd rather not get on welfare or sell crack and end up jail for the taxpayer to pay. Stealing is not an opt either. We just wana live happy instead of being counted for fia!

December 20, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Really?

Does anyone ever answer that truthfully on these census?

December 20, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. phil

@banasy...you work at a library? I am so jealous. What a dream place to go to each day. We have an extraordinary library here. The main reading room has these huge panes of glass, like 40' tall that let in the sunlight. And they face west, so the Rocky Mountains are right there in your face. Makes me want to go there right now. That is so cool that you get to go so often, and get paid for it even. Wow. And I'm not just saying that.I mean WOW!!! (now we're even) he he

December 20, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Johnny

Lynda, serny, breed, soon demons like you will be casted into hell. Remember the phrophecy, " the first shall be last and the last shall. All this about who's going to be the majority; native american will once again inherit their home lands. It's got nothing to do with population, or census, the america we know today will no longer exist. Have you all forgotten the number of africans that are in country because the american planded, and funded genocide. The majority is going to be latinos and africans, and they are black, so america will still be heavily black. Save your souls. Pray!

December 20, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • CuriousGeorge

Do you believe in prophecy in 21st century??

December 21, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. phil

Hey T...enjoyed your posts in the Iraq thread. I tried replying to your last one but it wouldn't go through. Did I misread, or did you post your entire family works at a strip club? sheesh! How many are in your family?

December 20, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Free the Leaf

the majority of america favors taxing it!
    cannabis=industry.medicine.peace.

December 21, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  15. CuriousGeorge

It is real or not but it is the official number that we have to live with for a decade .. I am eagerly waiting to see how the numbers are by region, race and apportions change.

December 21, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |