The weather outside is frightful almost everywhere
December 20th, 2010

The weather outside is frightful almost everywhere

Wherever you may be today, there's a good chance you're walking in a winter wonderland. Mostly because it isn't safe to drive or fly.

A winter storm warning remained in effect through Monday afternoon for California's Sierra Nevada mountains, where 5 to 10 feet of snow could accumulate on top of the 9 to 10 feet that fell in some areas Sunday.

Heavy rains prompted the emergency evacuation Monday of nearly 2,000 residents of a flooding Southern California town and the
temporary closure of at least two highways because of mudslides.

Residents near McFarland were being evacuated Monday because of what Fire Department spokesman Sean Collins called "major flooding."

The area has been inundated with rain for four days, with totals ranging as high as 10 inches. The National Weather Service said additional rain is expected in the area through Tuesday.

Heavy snow was snarling air travel in Europe, where hundreds of flights were canceled in London, Paris, Frankfurt and Berlin. And just for good measure, the temperature reached zero degrees  Fahrenheit overnight in Northern Ireland.

London's Gatwick Airport was closed until Tuesday morning after 5 cm (2 inches) of snow fell in an hour Monday night, airport officials reported.

Airport staff was working to make stranded passengers "as comfortable as possible," but it advised other travelers to check before they left for the airport to make sure their flights were still scheduled.

Australians may see a white Christmas for the first time in decades after up to 11 inches of snow fell in New South Wales and smaller amounts in Victoria. Aussies traditionally sunbathe on the beach on Christmas.

Even people in Minnesota are complaining about winter weather. Punter Chris Kluwe says the outdoor stadium where his Vikings will play Monday night is unplayable because of cold and ice. Watch out, Chris: The area is under a game-time winter storm warning.

Perhaps worst of all, Lady Gaga had to postpone her Sunday night concert in Paris because her 28 trucks could not get into the city under a snow ban.

How is the weather where you are? Share your photos and video with CNN's iReport.

We asked, you responded.  Here are some of the photos of the weather mess in Europe that you sent us.

Post by:
Filed under: Australia • California • Europe • France • Germany • iReport • Lady Gaga • Minnesota • United Kingdom • Weather
  1. Richard in Texas

Its everyones dream. A white christmas. Even when its summertime. Where are all of the tin foil hat people?

December 20, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat

seriously...people need to stop confusing nature's beauty for doomsday scenarios 😛

December 20, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Pat hit the nail on the head, it is progressivly getting worse every year, that is not good people.

December 20, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • RabiaDiluvio

From what I understand a very delicate deal was negotiated between Heat Miser and Snow Miser.

December 20, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mance Lotter

if we all drive a prius and observe earth day, weather will go away completely – damn humans!!!

December 20, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diane

The French have been spared a fate worse than bad weather.. ha ha ha

December 20, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fish

Love the "Heat Meiser/Snow Meiser" comment! I don't know about it getting worse... Seems like a cycle to me. In the midwest, in the late 70's/early 80's I remember getting feet of snow and missing weeks of school because of it. I don't remember this much snow since then, but it was there once...

December 20, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • the doctor

Richard:

This reply is not to you personally but who the hell cares if Lady Gaga's concert was cancelled. It is more important that the weather gets better so families can enjoy the company of their loved ones at this time of year. She makes me sick anyways. She made a comment that she was "devistated" that her concert was cancelled. The heck with her....

December 20, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • bb

seventeenth chapter of the book of Revelation speaks of a mysterious woman who rides a beast. It shows that at the end of the age, most of the earth would be drinking out of her hand. that time has arrived. Her method of intoxication is merriment, festivity, drink, and most of all, materialism. This materialism is the free enterprise, or capitalistic systeCool end is near!!!!!!!!

December 20, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Patrick

Mmmmm no snow in Jamaica 😉

December 20, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrea

count your blessings

December 20, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kris

Yeah but last week it was 65 degrees during the nights. And that was on the flats. I can't even imagine how it was in the hills

December 20, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • gerry D

i live in the blue mountains, and im freezing my butt off at nights, i really cant take it, lol

December 20, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sean in AZ

Its a beautiful day here in Phoenix, AZ – not a weather related issue to be had.

December 20, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • G. Cogswell

you are so right – it's just BEAUTIFUL out here – glad I am NOT on the east coast anymore....(Connecticut)

December 20, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Because mother nature is scared to enter Arizona in case her papers aren't in order.

December 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • MiloB

To be fair, Sean, it was a bit cloudy this morning, and it is supposed to drop down into the low 70s later this week (break out the winter clothes, no more flip-flops). But yeah, eating freshly picked tomatoes from the garden on Christmas Day does make Phoenix a great place to live this time of year!

December 20, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • KentAZ

Amen, Sean. It's virtually perfect here for nearly nine months a year. So happy to have escaped Siberia (the Midwest) 15 years ago.

December 20, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolita

Hi yall. Im in las vegas. righ now it is almost paradise except during June July and August. I love sin city!!!!

December 20, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • durb in ak

Watch out, while picking those tomatoes, for any drive bys.... or any number of other crime related scenarios that could potentially take place in that filthy place. I will take cold weather any day over a possible gang-related death....... while attempting to live a normal life. Cheers 😉

December 20, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

20ft of snow in the Sierra's, but they always get a fair bit.

December 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amanda W

miss AZ. 😦 moved back to MO 3 yrs ago for family.....

December 20, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael452116

Phoenix has the most boring weather on the planet and absolutely no color. I'll take the midwest snow and cold during the holiday season anyday.

December 20, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amber

Feels good in H-town... 🙂

December 20, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Frankly Speaking..

From the article, "Even people in Minnesota are complaining about winter weather."
    Minnesota has always been that way during this time, where did you get that from ??

December 20, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Herself

You must only understand speaking frankly–it means it's always a harsh winter there so for them to complain it shows that it's particularly remarkable.

December 20, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flash

It was a plug for MNF

December 20, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Christian in Colorado Springs, CO

Sunny and Mid-60s here today. BEAUTIFUL for December

December 20, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cyndie

There have been anomalies with the weather all during recorded history. The only month there's been no recorded snow in Michigan (Upper Pennisula) is August. For it snow in Australia this time of year is very unusual but I'm thinking not a sign of Armageddon. Can you tell the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" has been playing on cable recently? Get a grip.

December 20, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Brian

Did you watch the video? The reporter who began it was the worst reporter of all time...

December 20, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jay

Wow, I guess we will not have to hear about "Global Warming" for the next four months. Gore will come out of his hole and start begging for money again.

December 20, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Except for those people who have actually read the science behind climate change. Global Warming as you call it is referring to the temperature across the entire planet and these kind of wild weather swings are a part of it.

December 20, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • AriFox

The warming of the planet includes dramatic temperature swings. When the world heats up, melting the ice cap, making the water in the Atlantic cooler which helps create storms, including snowstorms. Global warming doesn't just mean its going to be higher temperatures. Stupid.

December 20, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Durson

Well, I haven't seen an ape turn into a human....guess that oughta teach those silly evolutionists a thing or two! Isn't science fun?

Why is our country plagued by narrow-minded idiots?

December 20, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • W Scott Lincoln - NWS

Actually, research has suggested that the warmer years globally tend to be the same years that the largest winter storms occur. Snow is precipitation, not temperature. We are still near the record temps (globally) for this time of year, virtually guaranteeing that 2010 will be among the warmest years on record. Welcome to the start of the new warmest decade on record.

Just wait until the arctic is near ice-free in the summer/fall. Some research has also suggested that lower arctic sea ice weakens the polar jet stream, thus allowing more of these "arctic blasts" southward into the temperate zones in the winter. It has been referred to as the "global warming paradox" – warmer temps on average across the globe, but more notable, large cold/snow bursts during winter.

December 20, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Herself

I love it when people like AriFox and Durson want to act all intelligent, disagree with someone, attempt to convey an articulate thought and blow it by calling people "Stupid" to show their great big word skills. I hope to God they're not in any important position upon which lives depend. Narro-minded indeed.

December 20, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • RachelW

W Scott Lincoln, snow is precipitation that is dependent on temperature. There being snow where there is not supposed to be indicates lower temperatures in those areas. Thats pretty basic. There is no indication that this will be the warmest year on record by any means, and your artic jet stream theory is just that....a theory. There are many scientists, professors, and intellectuals that disagree with global warming. All of the science in support of it is based on erroneous models that oversimplify highly complex systems and data that has been collected and falsified. There in fact is no true evidence, just political agendas. The temperature changes of other planets in our solar system track ours almost perfectly, showing that it is the fluctuations in the sun that has the largest affect on our climate. As soon as we start getting some harsh winters and cooler climate years, they change it from Global Warming to Global Climate Change and try to explain away the inconsistencies with their theories. All of these so called intellectuals bashing this guy need to do some research for themselves and not trust everything Al Gore would have us believe. Although, afterall, he did invent the internet, so he should know.

December 20, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

RachelW, you're arguing with someone who actually has a degree in the field and works for the National Weather Service. He knows the science, and you're making stuff up.

As for "There is no indication that this will be the warmest year on record by any means, ..." that's just insanity. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/

You may be inclined to distrust anything ending in .gov, but the facts are pretty clear, and sadly wishful thinking doesn't help.

December 20, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melody

My first thought when reading this story is, "ironic that the media is not discussing Global Warming now." I guess it's seasonal propaganda.

December 20, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gene

Increased snowfall is perfectly consistent with global warming.

As long as the temperature is roughly under 32 F, warmer air will hold more moisture than colder air, and yield more snow. 22F more so than 12F.

But, beware, this is an actual scientific concept, albeit a rather simple one, so stay as far away from it as you possibly can!

Glenn Beck will supply you the illusion of understanding without the terrible burden of actual comprehension. It's a great deal for the cognitively compromised.

December 20, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • RachelW

Eric, I, myself have a degree as well, big deal, and I have worked at a National Laboratory, thats right, the kind run by the DOE (those are the same people who have the .gov extension). Don't try to scare me with your credentials, and arrogantly talk down to me. You people paint everyone who questions the validity of a theory full of holes and inconsistant data as some kind of conspiracy theorists. I assure you I am not, just an independant thinker who looks at data myself. Many of the colleauges I have worked with have quite a lot more education than your undergraduate in meteorogical sciences, and believe the science used to validate this theory is full of holes. The models that have been created are over simplified. Long term weather patterns are unpredictiable to the point of chaos theory, yet these models spit out some kind of prediction and we're all preparing for global warming. They did this in the 80's with global cooling. Collect data, exploit, manipulate, legislate, repeat. They even got caught in email records as manipulating the data, yet you people still blindly believe in it.

December 20, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

RachelW, I didn't say a word about my credentials, I was talking about the person you replied to, W Scott Lincoln – who has an advanced degree in the topic at hand.

"I, myself have a degree as well, big deal, and I have worked at a National Laboratory, "

That doesn't hold any water, I'm sorry. I don't know what your background is, but if it were relevant I'm guessing you would have stated it; English majors can get jobs as secretaries at a lab. I'm not saying that's you, but "I have a degree and I worked at a lab" vs. someone actually working in the field ... I'll trust the knowledge and wisdom of the person working in the field.

These days everyone's an expert. Except, of course, the experts. They just have a hidden agenda.

December 20, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • RachelW

Eric, sound strategy. If you can't refute an argument, post an internet link listing average temperature records. Second, insult the person you who's background you know nothing about and say they dont know what they're talking about. I have a degree in mechanical engineering but have worked in the field of geoscience.
      No one argues that the climate doesnt naturally get hotter or colder over time. That is dependent upon natural fluctuations in the sun. The other planets in our solar system track these changes as well. What is being argued is whether man-made global warming exists, and myself and many other very intellegent people disagree with the falsified data and inconsistant theories. I suppose your "expert" would be Al Gore. He's the same guy who put a chart up showing CO2 in ice cores perfectly tracking global temperatures, what he did not explain is that natural warming of the Earth by the sun melted the ice and released the CO2. The CO2 was a lagging indicator, but was misleadingly represented as a leading indicator and proclaimed the cause of the earth's warming. I'm a believer in science and truth, if you disagree with me thats fine, but dont be disrespectful.

December 20, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

I certainly mean no disrespect, all I said was that "I have a degree" does not necessarily put one on even footing with climate scientists on the topic of climate.

I have an MSEE from one of the top EE schools in the country, but I don't argue with my doctor about oncology, my airline pilot about jet thrust, or climate scientists about climate. I know where my expertise lies, and I know when others know more than I do.

"Eric, sound strategy. If you can't refute an argument, post an internet link listing average temperature records. "

You said "There is no indication that this will be the warmest year on record by any means, ..."

I provided evidence to refute that. You may notice a trend in those average temperature records.

Anyway, believe what you believe, and I wish you wonderful beachfront property in 2040 if that works out for you.

December 20, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Ok that last bit was too snarky, I apologize. (Though I really do hope that the beautiful beachfront property today remains right where it is, in 2040).

December 20, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • RachelW

"The global average land surface temperature for the period January–October was the second warmest on record, behind 2007." This data is not only preliminary but probably reflects a historical record of approximately, what, 80 years (assuming we have good data that far back)? Statements like the one he made are misleading and are meant to start a panic among the undereducated. I feel thats not right. Someone who doesnt know looks at that and thinks "oh my gosh, the earth is the hottest its been in 4.5 billion years! We're all going to die. Quick buy a Prius!"

Look, I'm not arguing the world doesnt fluctuate between ice ages and warm periods, its geologic record and fact. The point I'm making is that it is almost impossible to assert with the data we have that anything is influencing our climate other than the suns natural periodic changes. And when someone points to flimsy or inconclusive data to assert with certainty that humans are changing the climate, I get skeptical. I believe i have the scientific background to look at the data myself, and I believe many Americans should, instead of blindly trusting the experts. By the way, there are experts who disagree with the theory of man-made global warming too. I'm kind of dissapointed that with the background you have as a EE, which i know is a very difficult field, and probably the most intense engineering discipline, that you wouldnt look at evidence yourself or read up on how the data was collected and analyzed to form the theory.

Besides, even if i didn't have the technical background that I do, I would still read and challenge what I'm told. Einstein dropped out of high school, butthe theory of special relativity that he wrote in his mid-twenties blew all the experts and PHD's out of the water.

December 21, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  9. Ali

A little bit of snow in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Well it is no surprise though. people expect cold and snow during this time of the year.

December 20, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Pastor Evans

Yep this all has already been declared in the BIBLE and people still don't believe?

December 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • AriFox

Where does it say it will snow in Australia in summer? I must have missed that part. No disrespect, Pastor, but it's been snowing forever.

December 20, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Martin

Religion is like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and honest politicians. They all seem believable until you grow up. The earth is always going through shifts in weather patters, and has been long before Christ was born, and they'll continue long after we're all gone and another generation takes our place. No offense Pastor.

December 20, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • conoclast

Thanks so much for your constructive comment, Pastor; we'd never have thought of that! Because it's all in the bible like you say, now can we ignore all those stupid scientists who keep yelling at us to Preserve the Planet, etc? Because of you, dear Pastor we all know that the earth is but our temporary home; indeed that we-are-not-of-this-Earth. Why then do we need to preserve it? Why then do anything but crawl in a hole (or emigrate to Guyana) and wait for Jesus?

December 20, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melody

Pastor Evans, l am a firm Bible believer. Let's not cast our pearls before swine.

December 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gene

Tell you one thing: If I come out one wintery morning and see a pile of clothes lying next to my neighbor's BMW Z-4, I'm grabbing the keys out of the pocket and that sucker's mine!

December 20, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kimberly

I live in Denver, and we've been experiencing the most gorgeous 50 and 60 degree weather almost all fall and winter so far. Barely a dusting of snow has fallen this year. I'm hoping for a white Christmas, but it's not looking likely.

December 20, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • DenverGrl

Yeah, but the mountains are getting slammed with snow, which is a good thing. Record snow fall in several areas. Some of the best skiing on record!

December 20, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • focoDave

Heard that.... skiing is gonna be awesome this year

December 20, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kim

Let it snow, let it snow!!

December 20, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  13. allen

It's freezing here in Cologne, Germany. I have lived here for 20 years and there has never been this much snow. Worse, it never snows in December, usually only in January and February. But I don't believe in global warming, that's just a bunch of bologna. Wish I lived in Arizona. I've already got my second cold in the bast two months, right before the holidays.

December 20, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Teófilo de Jesús

Where did global warming go?

December 20, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Durson

Considering it is the hottest year in recorded history, I'd say it didn't go anywhere.

December 20, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • intruder 1400

It's taking a time out because it's winter time.

December 20, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • allen

Global warming makes things cold where they were warm, and warm where they were cold. On the North Pole, Santa's polar bears are sinking in the water because the ice is melting. Here in Europe it is freezing when it used to be a lot less cold.

December 20, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • arb

I implore you all to read about how the "global temperature" and "regional temperatures" are measured. THERE IS NO STANDARDIZATION ACROSS THE GLOBE. It is BS to say temps are higher when, in some cities, the recognized thermometers are in urban areas, and others are in non-urban areas. Some are on top of black roofed buildings, some are not. Some take temps 3 times per day, some 2 times, some 1 time. Some take temps in the AM, some in the PM. If we can standardize the measure and get similar results, I will be more of a believer than I am today. It's funny to me that the concern used to be "no more snow" (http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html), while now it is "oh my G-d, Europe has never seen so much snow."

Seriously, even if you disagree with me, read about how temps are recorded. It's eye opening even to the biggest believer.

December 20, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brook

Welcome to global climate change! Even in those areas having nice weather, it's unseasonably nice. Things aren't right. Expect it to be like this into the foreseeable future.

December 20, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • DenverGrl

I don't know if this is such a bad thing for us in Colorado. We're finally getting the snow pack like we used to. We rely on it for water. And this year is a record in some areas.

December 20, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |