Vikings punter says outdoor field too hard
December 20th, 2010

Vikings punter says outdoor field too hard

Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe doesn't want to play Monday night's outdoor game at TCF Bank Stadium against the Chicago Bears.

"All respect to the people that cleared the field and got it ready, you did an amazing job," Kluwe tweeted Sunday after the team conducted a walk-through at the University of Minnesota's stadium (pictured). "That being said, it's unplayable."

The game was moved to the outdoor venue after the roof collapsed at the Vikings' cozy indoor stadium, the Metrodome, under heavy snow December 12. Last week's Vikings game against the New York Giants was moved to Detroit's Ford Field, which has a roof.

Kluwe tweeted that walking on the TCF Bank Stadium turf was "like walking on concrete. ... I can only hope, however unlikely, that no one gets catstrophically (sic) injured at the trainwreck that's about to take place (Monday) night."

The punter's complaint drew some sharp jabs from other Twitter users.

"Wow, talk about being soft," wrote Heath Stanton (caddis11). "Isn't there a video game u need to be playing?" (Kluwe is an avid "Worlds of Warcraft" player.)

"RU daft? What kind of fields do you think the pre-metrodome Vikings played on. Man up! I've played rugby on fields like that," wrote Tim Litzinger (Jumper2point0).

A couple of those pre-Metrodome Vikings, who weren't allowed to wear gloves or congregate around sideline heaters, did weigh in.

"You've got to learn to tough it up," 1973-79 running back Chuck Foreman told the St. Paul Pioneer-Press. "That field will be perfect to play on. That's the way the game has been played for years. These guys get spoiled. Go out there, embrace the weather, enjoy it. Just keep yourself warm. It's all mental."

Mental toughness is what got players through the "frozen tundra" days, former receiver Ahmad Rashad said.

"If you get caught up in how cold it is or the field's too hard or you can't get your cleats in the field, you've got no shot," he told the Pioneer-Press. "It's the same for both teams; you just have to go out there and execute."

The Twin Cities are under a winter storm warning until Tuesday morning, with five to 7 inches of snow expected and temperatures in the lower 20s, with 10-mph to 15-mph winds, according to CNN affiliate KARE-TV in Minneapolis-St. Paul.

Someone, either from the team or the NFL, apparently put the kibosh on Kluwe's complaints Sunday afternoon.

"I've been asked not to tweet anymore about the field so as not to distract teammates (who were there) and I will honor that," he tweeted. "Time for WoW."

Post by:
Filed under: Minnesota • Pro football • Sports • Weather
  1. whisper

The Gophers opened up their stadium to them the least he can do is be more appreciable instead of tweeting their complaints.
    That being said Id like to see the Golden Gophers play The Bears tonight

December 20, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • dinsdale007

this kicker is such a dunce.
      Go North over the boarder to saskatchewan or winnipeg where its just as cold and they play outside all year-long.
      Such a baby.
      Too spoiled and comfy.

December 20, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. waaaah!

Punter says the field is too hard......I guess you'll just have to hang your punts up there a little longer.....

December 20, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. joshgeek

whisper says:
    December 20, 2010 at 10:52 am
    "...Id like to see the Golden Gophers play The Bears tonight"

They'd probably have a better shot at a win. lmao. I've played my fair share of WoW, and I'd just like to say Kluwe is not indicative of all gamers. Most Wow players are much tougher than the Viqueens punter.

December 20, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • TJ

I have a million things I would like to say while I laugh right now but I will just share this video instead. I think it says all that needs to be said about gamers...

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QAnc6twNuI&w=640&h=360]

December 20, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. Fred Bartkowski

Now that you (Minnesota) have reclaimed a priceless piece of football tradition. Please reclaim your piece of excrement senator Ron Johnson.

December 20, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • RIDude

and Ms. Bachman too...

December 20, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. lol

I thought football was for tough guys! I remember watchin when I was little and those guys would do guts and glory on icy fields with snow flying like mad. Their breath hanging in the air bloody nuckles and hitting so hard you could hear the comes brunch BEFORE they hit the ground. Man up dude. Football is about pain. Otherwise you wouldn t wear all that hear and have ambulances waiting just off the sidelines. And how ungrateful. He that was my field I would protest. Some Viking!

December 20, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. cookieknits

What does he think the Bears do all season? Oh, and the Packers? And the Giants, etc.?
    Typical Viking whine. It's traditional. The whole management does it every couple of years, too. "Build us a NEW, new stadium, or we will leave." And, the Minnie Apple and St. Paul dig deep in their pockets and build them their new play house.

December 20, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. lol

Bones crunch ...Gear sorry eoq the txpos. predictive text has its problems

December 20, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  8. lol

Bones crunch ...Gear sorry for the typos. predictive text has its problems

December 20, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  9. TJ

Sure old hockey goalies didn't wear masks either so does that make current goalies weak?I love listening to the old timers say, "Well we played on ground like that for years, you are just soft" when the game is a million times faster and stronger and there aren't too many old timers that if they were in their prime today would even be able to hold a clipboard.

December 20, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  10. well

No that doesnt make them weak tj they jurt have more teeth. I was sayin that he you play football you should expect to get hurt sometime in your career and you should not make complaints to the public that make you sound like a wuss. Think grid iron and all that man. It is tough it is supposed to be.

December 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. linda

What a wuss, the other teams in that division play outside like Green Bay & Chicago. I guess we know who the men really are

December 20, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nasty nate

Damn all those losers! GO EAGLES! And f~ck all the m.vick haters and all u suckers want to ban them 4 getting vick power 2 vick and way 2 prevail

December 20, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Nasty nate

The n.y. Giants could use a punter ha ha ha LOSERS!

December 20, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Frank

People of Minnesota.
    Words escape me.How could someone who is a Professional NFL Player in the middle of December no less, say a Field is to hard to play on outside is beyond me.Is a grass field softer in December,I think not!

December 20, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nasty nate

All those millions they get paid and is worried about cold and snow and u cant even lay hard hits anymore why is everybody so soft these days

December 20, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |