Overheard on CNN.com: Sex-crime victims' take on TSA
December 21st, 2010

Overheard on CNN.com: Sex-crime victims' take on TSA

COMMENT OF THE DAY: "I guess I personally don't care if someone sees me in a body scan or even pats me down. I'm more upset that we are forced to do it." –cjb21980

Editor's note: This post was written by Kristine Griggs, a member of our comments staff.

Sex-crime victims who opt for pat downs instead of full-body scans at airports face more than inconvenience and blushed cheeks. They might have disabling traumatic flashbacks that can last for days or weeks. And while survivors of sex crimes generally understand the need for safety regulations, many CNN readers think all fliers' rights are being violated by the new regulations and that they simply don't work. Still others are sympathetic both to the victims of sex crimes and the Transportation Security Administration agents who have to perform their duties.

Check out what readers are saying about this and other stories on CNN.com

1. RUFFNUTT

get on a plane and get a brest exam at the same time.. a win win situation.

December 21, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Uffenutt, would you equally agree it's a win-win situ for a prostate exam just to board a plane?

December 22, 2010 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. Sherri W.W.

Iprobably am not rhe best person to try and judge this whole situation .because I do not fly~I drive,and have only been on private planes. However,I certtinly have wondered about all this because a person might have to fly in an emergency.~I feel bad for everyone~the passengers AND the agent too! I am SURE most of them HATE their jobs by now!~I DO KNOW that I would opt for the pat down before that scan business! ~I dont know if I would feel like I wanted to ask that the pat~down be done in a private room or not.I have several children so i have certinly had nurses touch me in my lifetime,but I understand that some people,like one of my daughters,just do NOT like much of ANYONE touching them! This daughter does not like anybody but her husband or me,her Mother,touching her,even for a hug~just very private!~THE ONLY THING I WILL SAY IS THAT I DO WONDER~IF A PERSON WAS ALREADY IN THE AIR ON THE PLANE ,AND A TERRORIST WOULD STAND UP AND TAKE OVER THE PLANE~I WONDER~WOULD THE SCANS AN PAT DOWNS SEEM VERY IMPORTANT AT ALL THEN?? I JUST CANT THINK THAT THEY WOULD BE. Just Sayin~its something to think about for sure!

December 22, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Texan

Sherri....then don't fly. It's that simple.

December 22, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Cesar

I wonder if the pat downs would have prevented 9-11?

December 22, 2010 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

thatsa nee-oh, negative!

December 22, 2010 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Jezzmn

1.) No because they are ineffective. And they are there to intimidate people into submitting to body scan. TSA admitted that.
      2.) 9/11 was an inside job. After 4 international intelligence agencies were warning US of imminent attacks, FBI was forbidden to investigate. That's a fact. And there were a lot of put up actions on that day in NYNEX. That's a fact too.

So no it wouldn't.

December 23, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. really?

If the TSA wishes to give me a pat down and feel me up, I better get a voucher for a free drink. Yup I'm easily persuaded.

December 22, 2010 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. mr. Palistine

walk...lose that world leading fat and victimhood nation excuse..see the real america and its nascar drunks..felons and end time palins. Who cares about your endless whining about nothing. Its your money they want..

December 22, 2010 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. phil

Really? Good one! heh heh. It's rare that I'm laughing before my coffee's done percolating. (that's how I know it was a good one)

December 22, 2010 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  7. ThomasD

Well good mornin', Phil. Im not sure Ive EVER laughed before coffee.

December 22, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Indra

lmao@really. I don't want to come off as insensitive but I don't see the big deal. If a person is allowed to opt out for a pat down then it should be left at that. I personally wouldn't care if I walked thru a body scan. I'm 26 and like most women I've got T&A big whoop. Nothing new, do whatcha gotta do so everyone can enjoy the flight and get where they have to go.

December 22, 2010 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. crazy

They should body scan what is the big deal??

December 22, 2010 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. phil

mornin' ThomasD! (my face just lit-up) Good seeing you. Yeah, it's rare. I've barely got a personality before my firts cup. >>Really? really got me going this morning (I wish Really? would changes s/n's..) Ready for your pat-down?

December 22, 2010 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. Cesar

I am willing to work on call and on weekends only in the transportation industry for security. I am willing to pat down all female cheerleaders age 21 and up of any team, race, or sport. Compensation not necessary. I consider it my civic duty.

December 22, 2010 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  12. phil@Ceasar

Hey there! Yer civic duty eh? Good excuse as any I suppose. I don't see what all the fuss is about. These folk's that are complaining need to be arrested by Joe Arpaio in Phoenix so they know what a real pat-down feels like. "Face the wall sir....bend over and spread 'em wide"

December 22, 2010 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. ThomasD

Yeah, good to see ya Phil. Havin a hard time posting lately. Im thinkin' they dont care for what I have to say. Heh. Dont blame em.

December 22, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  14. phil@ThomasD

Yeah, gotta be careful with the words ya use, but usually I think our posts don't always go thru because "due to the volume of comments we recieve not all of them will be posted". Tick's me off when I try and post a long-winded reply and 'poof'...it's gone.

December 22, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  15. ThomasD

@Phil. Im sure you're right. Usually do to the volumes we post, I mean. I attempted one of those long winded posts 5 times before giving up yesterday. My blood was already boilin' over the subject matter. So that didnt help. I get a little fired up sometimes.

December 22, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |