UConn women get Division I record 89th straight win
December 21st, 2010

UConn women get Division I record 89th straight win

You can argue whether streaks from teams nearly 40 years and a gender apart should be compared. What's not in dispute is that the University of Connecticut women now have the longest winning streak in NCAA Division I basketball history.

UConn won its 89th consecutive game Tuesday, beating Florida State 93-62 in Hartford's XL Center and surpassing the men’s Division I streak of 88 set by coach John Wooden's UCLA teams from 1971 to 1974.

Senior forward Maya Moore scored 41 points - 26 of them in the first half - for the top-ranked Huskies (11-0).

After the game, UConn coach Geno Auriemma told ESPN that it wouldn't be fair to compare the Huskies' and UCLA's streaks.

"I don't want to compare anything to anything, and I don't want my team to compare themselves to anybody else. This stands on its own," Auriemma said. "What John Wooden and UCLA did will never, ever be repeated, and that's not what we set out to do.

"I'm not John Wooden, and this isn’t UCLA. This is Connecticut, and for us, that’s good enough."

The Huskies' historic streak started with the first game of the 2008-09 season, with UConn having lost to Stanford in the previous season's Final Four.

The streak came years after UConn already had established itself as a top women's program. Of the 10 longest winning streaks in Division I women's basketball, the Huskies hold four, including the previous longest (70, from 2001 to 2003).

SI.com: The most revered streaks in sports

Earlier this week, after UConn tied UCLA's Division I record with a victory Sunday over Ohio State, Auriemma took issue with the media's motives for paying attention to his team, saying there wouldn't be as many people covering the club if it were chasing a women's record, and that people were "up in arms about" the possibility that women could break a men's record.

After Tuesday's game, Auriemma saluted his senior and junior stars for playing throughout the streak.

"Mostly what I'm going to remember about tonight is that - forget about all the other stuff you may have heard or whatever else has been going on - tonight really more than anything for me was about Maya Moore and Tiffany Hayes and the fact that they've been through all 89 of these."

This season, only Baylor has finished a game within single digits of the two-time defending national champions (UConn beat Baylor 65-64 on November 16).

SI.com's Richard Deitsch says Maya "the face of The Streak" delivered a "signature performance" as usual.

"The ethereal 6-foot senior forward finished with a career-high 41 points on 15 of 24 shooting from the field," Deitsch wrote. "If Moore leads UConn (11-0) to a third consecutive championship this April in Indianapolis, there will be no argument that she'll go down as the greatest player in women's college basketball history."

Post by:
Filed under: Basketball • Connecticut • Sports
  1. squirting organ

That was a little mean spirited yuri....lets try to remember its christmas time.

December 22, 2010 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. Frank

I thought the ESPN hype machine was bad. No one cares. They don't hold a candlestick to what a mens program can do. Sorry. Just the truth.

December 22, 2010 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. squirting organ

There gonna play basketball in the kitchen? hope thats on tv

December 22, 2010 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. chuckly

it's so fun busting on females. They get so agitated which makes it even more fun so we can't stop.
    they try busting on us but we're like, wow, good one. and it get boring quick then they give up and cry cause we won't stop busting them.

December 22, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
    • ka

you don't know women very well don't you. HS student still?

December 22, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
    • chuckly

oh, i know them well. Just read the posts above to prove my point.

December 22, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • ka

nee hoor ,je hebt geen flauw idee. Oops sorry forgot you are an American (probably speaks only one language) let me translate this for you.....nahhhh,
      Oh the power of being condescending!!!

December 22, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • squirting organ

You know ka i speak more than one language. I speak english, and a little language called love...:)

December 22, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
    • ka

ha 🙂

December 22, 2010 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
    • squirting organ

OOhhh...seems i have made a connection....

December 22, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. Thomas

This record will be broken by a another womens basketball team. It comes down to recruiting. Recruit top talent in womens basketball- you create a dynasty, you recruit top mens talent on your team-your players will be gone after their freshmen season. Kentucky is a classic example. The great young talented men ball players have the option of leaving college after one year, these young women stay in college for the full ride-there is not a 80 million dollar shoe contract waiting for them. So if you get the cream of the crop to stay in your program for fours years of course you will win 89 plus straight. But that record will never be broken by a mens team IN THIS ONE AND DONE ERA , imagine if the 2010 Kentucky team would have played together for four years- Coach Cal would be considered one of the best coaches to walk the face of the earth. This record was made for a great womens team to break, and another great womens team will do just that. Congrads to Uconn!

December 22, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. John

Very nice. It's the longest strike in Division 1 Women's basketball. It has nothing to do with streaks in any other sports–professional, collegiate, sandlot. Maybe if the coach could keep his mouth under control, it would have meant more. He just can't shut up and therefore diminishes his team and theri record.

December 22, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Apples to Oranges

Exactly! If he kept his mouth shut there wouldn't be such a negative response.

December 22, 2010 at 2:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. John

those be some nappy headed hoes – don imus

December 22, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. Basketball Fan

The only record I want to see from them is how fast they can fix me a sandwich and get me a beer while I'm watchin Kobe and the Lakers dominate.

December 22, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • big lipped jolie

December 22, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Really?

You could always try watching a real sport to see what real men are like...

December 22, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. squirting organ

Chuckly, has it ever occurred to u that u might need professional psychiatric help? I'm saying that as a friend....at christmas time.

December 22, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • chuckly

I tried that. I went into the therapists office wearing nothing but saran wrap.
      he took one look at me and claimed 'well, I can clearly see your nuts!!'

December 22, 2010 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. NBA

Is it me or does anyone even care about women's basketball?

December 22, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Megan

Nope.. No one cares! Can't believe it's a headline!

December 22, 2010 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
    • ka

well, I like volleyball better.

December 22, 2010 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
    • geoff

Everyone likes volleyball better. Have you seen those shorts?

December 22, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  11. chuckly

Before this news story, I wasn't even aware they even played!!!

December 22, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  12. Basketball Fan

ESPN top 10 highlights from this game is all layups.......hahahahaha.

December 22, 2010 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. big lipped jolie

lesbians

December 22, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. squirting organ

@ KA. You know ka..chuckly might be a bit undesirable to women, but i have been known to be a hero to womens rights sometimes. Maybe you and i should talk sometime.

December 22, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  15. Bob

If they just beat UCLA's record then WNBA players have to beat Michael Jordans records before they count for anything

December 22, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |